Cleaning the Capstan Rubber Rollers

Old_Tech

Yer-isn't!
This may be in the maintenance thread but I wanted to see what the thinking is now. Those of us who have the high end decks perform routine maintenance and have certainly cleaned the rubber rollers periodically and on any of your restorations we have done had to clean quite a buildup from those parts. Everyone is saying not to use alcohol. Ok, I'll buy that and would like to use something else. I always hear a variety of answers on this topic. I, like everyone else would like to keep it simple and wonder what I can use here at home to clean those parts. I am hearing Windex® lately here on the forum. The goal is not to hurt the durometer of the rubber part or dry its surface in any way without lubricating it while using the wrong cleaner. I know this has been beaten to death but can someone in service or of that knowledge advise how it is done? Its of significant value to know this now that we are trying to preserve these high end decks and all they can do. Maybe this could be a sticky to bring the topic forward for refernce. Strawman can you help with that part?

Thanks guys! :thmbsp:

Denon DR-M24HX, DR-M44HX, DR-M2
Nakamichi CR-2A, 3A

Attachments

• Twosome.jpg
    Twosome.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 845
  • Group.jpg
    Group.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 785
Others may disagree but I have used 99% pure isopropyl alcohol for years with no problems. Just don't use ordinary rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol has other ingredients that may harm rubber rollers.

I also treat the rollers with a rubber preservative such as MG Chemicals Rubber Renue.

I work on high speed printers and routinely use Texwipe TX134 rubber roller restorer and Martin Yale Rubber roller cleaner and rejuvinator. Typically, the feed rollers are supposed to last 200K pages, and usually fail around 100K.
The budget for parts has been drastically reduced and cleaning with these products generally buys them the extra 100K.
I use them on belts and rollers when performing maintenance on my gear at home. :thmbsp:

It would probably be redundant to make another "sticky" as this is all covered in the "Care & Maintenance" thread that Rolf took the time to create.

Last edited:
Me Too

Others may disagree but I have used 99% pure isopropyl alcohol for years with no problems. Just don't use ordinary rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol has other ingredients that may harm rubber rollers.

I also treat the rollers with a rubber preservative such as MG Chemicals Rubber Renue.

I have always used 91% and have never had a problem either.

Strawman, the Typewriter Platen Cleaner may be another way to go and I forgot about that. I do know that de-natured alchohol states right on the can that it can be used to clean printer platens. I have used it on rubber before to clean it and was amazed. But the thing here is the drying affect and I worry about that and maybe unneccasarily so. I really prefer not to purchase yet another cleaning product that is really something I already have under another label. Its like buying a table for 20 dollars. Then, label it a computer table and it suddenly costs 39.95 :yes:

Maybe we will hear more in this thread to break this down into its simplest form. Thanks Guys :thmbsp:

I haven't seen good platen cleaner in at least a decade. I think it had trichloroethylene in it and was outlawed. Over time I think it would still harden the rubber on the platen and feed rollers, but we also made money selling parts so it was of little consequence to us.
Denatured Alcohol work pretty good to, But a couple of cans of RRR will last a (my) lifetime.

Reactions: Nag
Denatured Alcohol work pretty good to, But a couple of cans of RRR will last a (my) lifetime.

It says right on the can from the home store for typewriter rollers or platens something like that. Now are you talking about cleaning with RRR? You clean with what? Also where are you finding rubber roller restorer? I have some Non-Slip made by GC-Electronics I use to recondition rubber rollers not clean them. I used it on my Denon DR-M24HX to fix the Cha-Cha roller. I cleaned the rubber with soapy (bubbly) water first but I do not want any water in the transport area during roller service.

You're welcome.
How did you recondition rollers?
I used to deal with a company called Midwest Platen that would recoat the platen/power rollers and grind them down to spec.
Interesting process and much cheaper than new from the mfg. or in the case of old IBM typewriters, non existent.
Steve

Folks, I strongly recommend S-721H Cleaning Fluid, by American Recorder. This fluid is effective and safe to use on pinch rollers as well as heads, and guides, etc. It is safe for plastics, and has a high vapor pressure, so it does not take long to dry. It will not leech out the plasticizers from the rubber, and it will leave no nasty deposits anywhere. I have tried alot of fluids, and this one is the best I have found, to date.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Folks, I strongly recommend S-721H Cleaning Fluid, by American Recorder. This fluid is effective and safe to use on pinch rollers as well as heads, and guides, etc. It is safe for plastics, and has a high vapor pressure, so it does not take long to dry. It will not leech out the plasticizers from the rubber, and it will leave no nasty deposits anywhere. I have tried alot of fluids, and this one is the best I have found, to date.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I just tried to order a couple of bottles of this stuff from American Recorder but their website isn't working correctly. I'll try again in a few days but if I can't get this rubber cleaner from them, then I'll try the stuff from Staples.

Be careful what you use between pinch-rollers and idler-wheels.
Cleaning tape-residue of a pinch-roller can be done with luke-warm water
if you don't have rubber-cleaner like Strawman and Rich pointed out.
Rubber rejuvinator will work on idler-wheels that is in good condition
but a hard idler..njaa I never had any luck making it 100 % again.
Better replace the idler or re-rubber instead.

Strawman
"I work on high speed printers and routinely use Texwipe TX134 rubber roller restorer and Martin Yale Rubber roller cleaner and rejuvinator. Typically, the feed rollers are supposed to last 200K pages, and usually fail around 100K.
The budget for parts has been drastically reduced and cleaning with these products generally buys them the extra 100K.
I use them on belts and rollers when performing maintenance on my gear at home"

Rich
"Folks, I strongly recommend S-721H Cleaning Fluid, by American Recorder. This fluid is effective and safe to use on pinch rollers as well as heads, and guides, etc. It is safe for plastics, and has a high vapor pressure, so it does not take long to dry. It will not leech out the plasticizers from the rubber, and it will leave no nasty deposits anywhere. I have tried alot of fluids, and this one is the best I have found, to date."

Let stick this thread, but please no home mixture formulas. :nono:

1. Chemical treatment of rubber parts should always be done in a well ventilated room.
2. To augment air flow, use a small area fan. Put the cap on the bottle!!!!!
3. First, clean the pinch roller with alcohol.
4. Second, lightly sand the surface with #1000 sandpaper or finer. Hold the sandpaper in hemostats.
5. Third, treat the pinch roller with rubber rejuvenator. Wipe off excess.

Chemicals not to use:

1,1,1,-trichloroethane
xylene
methylethylketone (MEK)
toluene
ethylene dichloride*

I want to make a special point about ethylene dichloride. This is really dangerous stuff. Back in the 1970's, there were large numbers of techs that used the stuff. I was one of them, though I used it in a ventilated area. It is a wonderful rubber cleaner and it will injure or kill you.

http://www.osha.gov/dts/chemicalsampling/data/CH_240397.html

Fred

Great!

Fred this is really good info. :thmbsp: I really like the idea of the 1000 grit sandpaper to open the surface of the rubber for treatment. I guess after performing all these steps we would just use the 91% IPA for routine cleaning??

Thank you again-
Ron

1000 grit

Last night I thoroughly cleaned a dual capstan Denon pinch roller set as Fred has instructed. I used 1200 grit after the cleaning then carefully applied the rejuvinator I have. Its from back in the day so it has somevery hot ingredients but the results were astounding. I left the cassette door open overnight to let the whole transport breathe and dry before I run the machine.

I really liked using the sandpaper to open a new surface on the rollers. It was just a minor scuffing almost a polish and they were like new. Very cool!
Thank You Fred!

I just tried to order a couple of bottles of this stuff from American Recorder but their website isn't working correctly. I'll try again in a few days but if I can't get this rubber cleaner from them, then I'll try the stuff from Staples.
I purchased S-721H from American Recorder about 2 weeks ago (late February) and received it 3 days from order. I just checked their website and they're still there. I also downloaded their latest catalogue. In case you have a wrong address it's americanrecorder.com. Keep trying!

Back
Top Bottom