Should I buy a Kenwood KA-7100?

coldmark

I bid $60 + $28 shipping and won a KA-7100. The owner originally said all was working but now found out that there is some static when turning the knobs so they lowered the price to $25 + shipping if I still want it. I assume a cleaning will take care of the static and it appears to be in very good shape.

Is this beast worth $53 delivered?

If I buy it and it turns out to be damaged, I would be willing to sell it to you as a spare, if you were serious.

I would't have a problem for $50, delivered to my door. Used to have an 8100, and I really liked it.

I think we could make a good case for the KA-7100 being THE '70s integrated amp. They're tough, they're repairable, they just plain work. Oh, and they look pretty slick too. Everyone should have one, and that's a good price.

Just my opinion, and yes, I own one.

UPDATE: It turns out there's a high pitched sound coming out of both channels in addition to the static problem. Not loud but noticeable. I assume this is not an easy fix so I'll probably have to pass on this one. Thanks for the responses. I'll be keeping my eyes open for some sort of 70's Kenwood amp.

Any electronics of that age are either in need of service, or will need service very soon.

If it is a cosmetically nice unit, and you like it, it might be worth having repaired by a reputable tech.

I say take it dude! Those amps usually sell for a lot more than $50 with shipping. Like really $125 to $300 in good condition with out shipping.

Anything of that age is going to need some service now or later sometime or another.

I'll take it if u don't want it -

absolutly NOT. Let me buy it for a spare.

3.gif

Last edited:
Kenwoods are made with cheap parts. If you want a good old vintage receiver that is well built, get a Pioneer SA integrated. They sound better too because of the DC coupled circuits. Every single Kenwood I ever owned, without exception, has broken or malfunctioned somehow and needed repair. Just my opinion. The best vintage 70's Japanese brands are Luxman, Pioneer, Sansui in that order. Kenwood is cheap parts and lots of hype. :music:

Kenwoods are made with cheap parts. If you want a good old vintage receiver that is well built, get a Pioneer SA integrated. They sound better too because of the DC coupled circuits. Every single Kenwood I ever owned, without exception, has broken or malfunctioned somehow and needed repair. Just my opinion. The best vintage 70's Japanese brands are Luxman, Pioneer, Sansui in that order. Kenwood is cheap parts and lots of hype. :music:

you're kidding, right?

I bid $60 + $28 shipping and won a KA-7100. The owner originally said all was working but now found out that there is some static when turning the knobs so they lowered the price to $25 + shipping if I still want it. I assume a cleaning will take care of the static and it appears to be in very good shape.

Is this beast worth $53 delivered?

yes, have a technician go through it, as I did for my 7150 (euro version) and you'll have a very nice unit that will last you many years.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/KENWOOD/KA7100/KA7100.html

Are you kidding or what?! Kenwoods are very very good receivers/amps. The only reason your kenwoods broke down is because they were probably abused horribly! It doesn't matter if its a kenwood or a pioneer or a sansui, if its over 30 years its gonna need the electrolitic capacitors replaced!

I have 6 kenwood componets and I have not have any trouble with either one of them. Your kenwood gear must have a pretty hard life.

Last edited:

Somebody MUST have seen you comin', more than once, because I have 4 Kenwood integrateds (yes 1 KA-7100) and not one has required service EVER, wish I could say the same for my Marantz, Sansui, and pioneer stuff.

I bought a KA-7100 on that web site for $60.oo - works great for what I need at this time. I am going to get a different amp with more WPC - but hey it works good for me.

Back
Top Bottom