Cleaning the Capstan Rubber Rollers

Folks, I strongly recommend S-721H Cleaning Fluid, by American Recorder. This fluid is effective and safe to use on pinch rollers as well as heads, and guides, etc. It is safe for plastics, and has a high vapor pressure, so it does not take long to dry. It will not leech out the plasticizers from the rubber, and it will leave no nasty deposits anywhere. I have tried alot of fluids, and this one is the best I have found, to date.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Yes this is the best I have ever used and well worth the cost. It will bring the performance of your deck to yet another level if you can believe that! I also use it on turntable stylus. Amazing product. :thmbsp:

Per Ray Stevens.... I think mixing 'Jeremiah Peabody's Polyunsaturated Quick-Dissolving Fast-Acting Pleasant-Tasting Green and Purple Pills' in some warm distilled water would do the trick. In all seriousness, per my many years working at IBM.... if you can get it: IBM Tape Transport cleaner works wonderful. IBM also packaged Isopropyl Alcohol (91%.... PN 2200200) in small handy squeeze bottles. Just about everyone that worked in IT and was a serious audiophile used the stuff. IBM gold can cleaning fluid (banned in the late 80's), manufactured with trichlorethelene and other nasty stuff, was a great carbuerator cleaner.

Ah, the benefits of working for IBM.
AudioDog

I've always used a specific product for cleaning and/or renewing rubber. Alcohol dries things out so I have rarely used it in rubber. In the past I've used Rubber Renue and Vita Drive. The Vita smells nasty, something like a cough medicine and you have to rub like hell after applying it but it does work well. Not sure if it's still available.

Rubber Renue is mainly acetone, which will remove the top layer of hard dried out rubber so it can work well too. If I recall correctly it was a combination of the 2 that worked best, depending on the problem with the rubber part.

Cant find Vita Drive on a search but found this:
http://www.sjmediasystem.com/rbr100l-2.html

anyone who says to use Windex and to NOT USE ALCOHOL has a terminal and incurable case of the DUMBA$$ and should be ignored, disregarded and forgotten.
RJ

Not sure if this comment was directed at anyone in particular, but what's so great about an open, "no attitude", well moderated forum such as AK is that people are free to voice their views, both good and bad, and one can do their own research(google) and determine for theirselves which methods are good or bad.:)

Last edited:
Anything is arguable of course ;)
Many....many years ago when I 1st began as a tech and working on tape machines my mentor/boss insisted to never never use any form of alcohol on rubber parts because of it's drying out effect. He of course supplied me with proper rubber treatment chemicals designed for cleaning and rejuvinating rubber. I've stuck with that ever since.

We did use methyl hydrate to clean heads and such, because of it's complete lack of water. He wouldnt allow using iso prop for anything because of that. When it used to be available, freon was the choice for head cleaning.

But I must admit, 30 year old Tascam rubber, is a good argument for iso prop.
30 year old rubber is not the same as the stuff they call rubber now. As with most everything else, newer stuff doesnt stand the test of time like the old stuff.

Windex? Now that I've never tried, and wouldnt but, I do windows.

...anyone who says to use Windex and to NOT USE ALCOHOL has a terminal and incurable case of the DUMBA$$ and should be ignored, disregarded and forgotten...

RJ
You have not been here for very long, so you will be granted a bit of slack here. However, lose the attitude or lose the privledge of posting here.

Consider yourself warned.

Rich P

I still have the original Akai top loader cassette deck I bought
new in 1976. For many years after I bought this deck I periodically
cleaned the roller and capstan with 99% rubbing alcohol. I recall
the Q-tip would only show minute traces of brown oxide. I recently
decided to clean the roller again with alcohol, and as soon as I touched
the roller with the Q-tip it turned black. Fortunately I noticed this before
it did any permanent damage. So, if its an older deck , using ANY type
of solvent will dissolve the aged rubber. The deck still plays fine, so I
don't think there is any good reason to clean the roller.

American Recorder's S-721H is hexane, which will be familiar to most people as the solvent in rubber cement. We've been using it in the aerospace industry to clean all sorts of mechanical bits since CFC's were banned. It's good on metal and plastic parts, and if used occasionallly on rubber parts will remove oxides and the shine that develops on rubber as it ages and hardens. It is a rubber solvent, however, and that black stain on the swab is indeed a microcopically thin layer of material being removed. If the swab is coming away looking like it's dyed black, you should probably be looking for a replacement roller fairly soon.

Am a aircraft mech and true the years I have been putting this stuff on de-ice boots , on aircraft wings.It protect the rubber from cracking and getting hard. Its called Age Master no1.
Joe

Last edited:
Howdy folks
been using American Recorder stuff for years on my old Roberts & Pioneer decks...works great...recommended.

Am a aircraft mech and true the years I have been putting this stuff on de-ice boots , on aircraft wings.It protect the rubber from cracking and getting hard. Its called Age Master no1.
Joe
Agemaster is good for neoprene that needs to be protected from the elements and from harsh chemicals, especially deicers. Not sure what it does to the "grip" properties of friction surfaces, though, and the mfr invokes "trade secret" protection to avoid revealing what the primary ingredients are. Have you tried it on a pinch roller?

Yes,with a very small brush.I would put it on and wipe off the execs.I have put this stuff on anything rubber on my truck to.So far so good. Take care Gkimeng
Joe

Wow. I wondered what to get. The advice is well appreciated.
I've been using the same 6 oz. bottle of TEAC rubber cleaner ( with the odd smell of mothballs) for 20 years.
It changed color but still works.

On my RT-707 r2r the pinch roller nearly quit spinning. It was so hard to turn I was getting horrible wow and whenever the auto-reverse changed directions, the tape would de-thread. I took the roller off and it didn't look very dirty so I left the rubber alone. Then I ran a Qtip with 91% isopropynol through the bearing and found that whatever lube was used had gotten so dirty it had turned gummy. I cleaned the shaft and put it back together without any grease, which worked for a while but now I have to find a lubricant before using it again... don't want anything to wear too much.

Any suggestions? Silicone grease? What?

On my RT-707 r2r the pinch roller nearly quit spinning. It was so hard to turn I was getting horrible wow and whenever the auto-reverse changed directions, the tape would de-thread. I took the roller off and it didn't look very dirty so I left the rubber alone. Then I ran a Qtip with 91% isopropynol through the bearing and found that whatever lube was used had gotten so dirty it had turned gummy. I cleaned the shaft and put it back together without any grease, which worked for a while but now I have to find a lubricant before using it again... don't want anything to wear too much.

Any suggestions? Silicone grease? What?
No silicone. If it gets out on the rubber, you will have trash. Use a light grease, or heavy oil, and not much of that.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Hi all, I'm a newbie here. I have been using Ronsonol lighter fluid for cleaning pinch rollers, heads, guides, belts and idlers. My Teac 2300S has its original pinch roller and it is as pliable as when new in 1973 and I have cleaned it many many times. Naptha is the main ingredient, seems to be harmless to all rubber surfaces.

Advice : Don't listen to ANYONE whom says to NOT use alcohol... 99% pure isopropyl alcohol is the best cleaner for pinch rollers... period... always was, always will be... the ones whom say NOT to use it have NOT had 4 and 8 track machines in a studio application for decades, and IMHO don't have a clue.

ALCOHOL ONLY !!!

RJ

Back
Top Bottom