Pioneer RG Dynamic Processor

epifanatic

acoustically suspended
Subscriber
RG-1, anybody use one? likes, dislikes? The reason I ask is, a friend might have access to one and I'm thinking of picking it up.

It was fun to tinker with but I eventually sold mine as I really had no use for it.

I have one and I like it. I paid $35 for mine so what the hell. I bought it mainly because it was "period" correct with the rest of my system and I've found it to be quite useful. The difference in sound is hard to describe. Just a bit fuller or may be more open?

I have the RG-2 unit and from what I hear, it sounds like an electronic loudness button. :)

Scott

Ok, this is going by what I heard from somebody who's ears I trust. A friend of mine did an A-B comparison with one of these in identical systems (one with, one without) at the store he worked at when they came out. In one system, was the RG-1, the other was turned up in volume until it equaled the volume of the one with the RG-1 engaged...the only difference he could tell was that the RG, while making the one system louder than when it wasn't engaged, seemed to add a hint of distortion. He said the same thing as above...seemed to act like a loudness button.

But I wasn't there, and this happened decades ago.

I can say that the late Robert Grodinsky, the man behind the RG, makes a heck of an amp, though. I run his RGR model 5 as my main system amp, and try as I might, can't find one I like better.

I've listened to a few of the RG models and my opinion is save your money and get a DBX 3BX III. These beat the Pioneers by leaps and bounds. At least that has been my brother's and my experience.

You will find though that as your system improves the need for one becomes less. That's what happened with my brother and I. We reached the point that we are happy enough with the sound of our systems that the DBX units are retired to the closets.

Attachments

• DBX 3BX-III.jpg
    DBX 3BX-III.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I have a Pioneer RG-1, plus an RG Pro 15, RG Pro 16 and RG Pro 20, all by Grodinsky's company. While I like the effect all of them have, which is to increase the dynamic range of the music, they are all a little 'spoofed' by surface noise into uncalled-for increases in volume, and also tend not to react to changes in volume as quickly as they could. The result is a sort of nearly-subliminal 'burbling' at times. The RG Pro 15 is the best of the lot, although the one which adds the least amount of dynamic range.

I also have a Pioneer EX-9000 three band unit which adds range without any of the problems noted above. It's my 'user' even though it's black and doesn't fit in with my other gear.

I've listened to a few of the RG models and my opinion is save your money and get a DBX 3BX III. These beat the Pioneers by leaps and bounds. At least that has been my brother's and my experience.

You will find though that as your system improves the need for one becomes less. That's what happened with my brother and I. We reached the point that we are happy enough with the sound of our systems that the DBX units are retired to the closets.

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of my system but, sometimes I just can't resist anything with a silver face and big knobs. I'm sure most of you can relate.

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of my system but, sometimes I just can't resist anything with a silver face and big knobs. I'm sure most of you can relate.

I total understand what you're saying. My bedroom system is completely Pioneer silver and I love the appearance. Even my main system has some brushed aluminum to it as you can see in my signature. I'm a huge fan of the brushed aluminum styling.

I was just saying that if you want the RG-1 for it's function that you would do better with the DBX 3BX III. Plus it would give you the Impact Restoration feature. That was probably my favorite feature of it when used judiciously. I don't use Dolby for my cassettes so the Dynamic Range Expansion part of the DBX was quite useful for reducing hiss. Although the DBX will cost you a lot more money.

I have the RG-1 and I was using it. Mine did start making some really scratchy crackling noise tho, just started doing it. I am pretty sure it just needs a recap so will take care of that here shortly.
As for sound differences , well, I don't know. At the moment, my speaker placement is absolutely horrible, so I may notice a bigger difference when I get everything in a proper home, but for now it basically acts just like a gain control, have not really noticed much else.
To be honest, I got mine because I wanted a "complete" silver set and no one loves VU meters more then I do. Even now, not in use, I have it powered on just for the purdy lights.....yes, that is bad, just being honest.
Would I buy one ? If I collected Pioneer or was trying to complete a Silver system, well, I did buy one so yes. If I happened to have a different brand of equipment, I would not have it.
One thing that is a little off about it - the VU neters on it have a slight greenish cast to them. Is actually much better looking then the rest, but it does not match and stands out.....
Maybe once I get my recapped, which it obviously needs, I may notice a bigger difference. Actually, am pretty sure I will

I had the RG-2, part of this "silver sandwich" I picked up for $20. And yes, it's effect was much like hitting the loudness button. I'm pretty sure I killed a couple tweeters with it. :D

Last edited:
Dynamic Range Demo....

AH, yes....the Dynamic Range Expander/Processor.... Years ago I stumbled upon a very vivid demo track of the phenomena of Dynamic Range........

I feel like most of AK's audience will be somewhat familiar with Lou Reed's "Walk On The Wild Side"....it's played fairly often on my local Classic Rock station, and probably, one near you as well......although FM is not the best way to demo this ....The medium itself is too compressed.......

If one can find this on CD, or download an uncompressed copy off the net...........

The part in the middle, where the female choir comes in with the line " doo doo doo doo doo" .....on and on and on..... That should start off off very low in volume.....much lower than Lou's part leading up to it........and then crescendo to a quite loud level, then the Saxophone solo starts...........

If your system is set up right, you have a non compressed source, and your listening level is set pretty high. the "swell" involved is really quite stunning.....

If it ISN'T.........you are listening to a setup with limited dynamic range.......( or a compressed source)

Once you hear this done right, you will know.....it helped me really understand why one guy's system sounded so much better than another's..... It's in the Dynamics.....

Hope this doesn't sound too goofy...........willhowl:music:

Last edited:
I had the RG-2, part of this "silver sandwich" I picked up for $20. And yes, it's effect was much like hitting the loudness button. I'm pretty sure I killed a couple tweeters with it. :D

Sounds like you have the line level maxed out. I run my rg's at around 1:30-2:00 so they don't "pump" the music or act like a loudness circuit.

I purchased the RG-1 so it would match my Spec system like many others here have. I played with it over the course of a couple of weeks and never really found it to enhance the music to my ears. Everyone hears different, so this is just my opinion. I removed it from my system to put a turntable on that shelf so it isn't currently just sitting in the basement.

Sounds like you have the line level maxed out. I run my rg's at around 1:30-2:00 so they don't "pump" the music or act like a loudness circuit.

It was one of those "live and learn" lessons. I had no idea what it was capable of, or how to use it. Thanks for the explanation. :thmbsp:

I picked up a RG2 a while back. Too much "pumping" for me. I much prefer the dbx 3bx which breaks up the expansion over 3 frequency ranges.
I also have a few BBE 2002R "enhancers". I find that with better speakers (and speaker placement) that I turn down the effect.
That being said I would like a RG9 to complete the look of my flouriscan system.
JimB

Back
Top Bottom