Wolfmother

Hey CraceBS, they core unit did disband, however the lead singer/guitar player put together a new band under the Wolfmother moniker and has a new album coming out. I haven't heard anything yet, but given that the singer/guitar player is still with the band, I am going to assume it will sound pretty much the same.

Yes, they are playing again, did a show here in March. The singer/guitatrist writes all their songs (after channeling Purple,Sabbath etc:D) so their sound is his vision anyway.

They were great, I had the chance to see them at the Breakroom in Seattle for free (radio promotion show). Tiny club, huge afro = amazing show.

The lead singer kept the name Wolfmother and is working on a new album with all new band members. And on there website they have a free mp3 from there new album.

The lead singer kept the name Wolfmother and is working on a new album with all new band members. And on there website they have a free mp3 from there new album.

Thanks for the heads up.. lead me to their myspace page, and damn is that new song rockin!

They are from Erskineville - a suburb that is not so far from the central business district.

However, me and my colleagues dislike Wolfmother. Their main complaint is the voice of Andrew Stockdale - whose singing sounds more like whinging opposed to singing.

These guys are to stoner rock what Nine Inch Nails are to industrial. If you like Wolfmother, and I'm not saying you shouldn't, check out stoner rock. Kyuss, Masters of Reality, Queens of the Stone Age, Nebula, Unida, Dozer, Monster Magnet, Fu Manchu etc. There's SO MUCH really killer rock out there that gets overlooked. Been cranking that stuff for a long ass time, and then Woldmother pops out of the woodwork, does an iPod commercial and bam, they've made it. Again, nothing against them, everyone wants to make it. It just kinda sucks that so much killer talent gets missed.

Check out stonerrock.com's (no affiliation) K666 streaming radio feed: http://205.188.215.227:8100/listen.pls

SPeaking of MM.. every time I hear Black Eyed Peas play Pump It, I think of the MM song 19 Witches.. seems to be a fairly direct rip-off in a lot of ways..

I am upset to hear that the band has broken up, but am looking forward to hearing what the reformed group sounds like. I really took a liking to 'Woman' and 'Joker and the Thief' from the get-go, but unfortunately, those seem to be the only songs I've heard! I hear that album is available on real vinyl; I'd love to own it. :thmbsp:

As a side notation, I like VERY LITTLE new music these days, so the fact that I like these guys' music is saying a lot. ;)

Cosmic Egg

i had a chance to preview Cosmic Egg. Honestly, its a step up from that mother tune but there is still something about this band`s sound that bothers me. For example, track 4 (sundial) starts out with some real heavy riffs and than dies right out with some femme jumbled chorus and it seems the entire album has this dull mumbled sound. Actually New Moon Rising is the best track but it also suffers from the same effect.

If these guys would just clean up and define their sound they would have the potential to add something special to todays rock genre. So far IMO with Wolfmother all you have is a mediocre Black Sabbath sounding throw back band with a splash of The White Stripes. Two good things that are not great together.

I rate Cosmic Egg 5.5 out of 10.

If anyone is looking for a new band with a sound that is crisp and defined, check out Three Days Grace.

I have to say, I enjoyed Wolfmother's music precisely because it doesn't sound like bands like Three Days Grace and many other music these days. Sorta mellowed out, if you know what I mean.

(I am also turned off to TDG because it's all my brother listens to and I cannot seem to escape it. LOL.)

Aww man they broke up? I really liked that album. I used to hear them on Sirius, mostly the song Woman. It never really did it for me. I guess it reminded my of the Darkness, who I really don't care for. But playing Rock Band, I ended up really like the Joker and the Thief so I picked up on vinyl. Overall, it's a really good album, but it's pretty expensive and was hard to find.

. . . should the unfortunate happen to your copy and you need another one - or for anyone planning on buying it - I just purchased this finely pressed 2LP of "Cosmic Egg" at "Newbury Street Comics & Records", they also have an online store - for $15.99. There is also a MP3 download card for ipods or burning to disc.

Not sure what the general consenus is regarding this pressing - no time to read all these posts, not right now anyway - but the copy I bought was beutifully pressed and I mean that in a literal sense. The sound is nice and full bodied with decent highs, but superlative mid/low end(s).

The first band I thought of, though "not" in a derivative way on their part, was "MOUNTAIN" on track 2's "New Moon Rising". Also hints of early and "S'n'A" "RUSH", "DEEP PURPLE" and certainly "HUMBLE PIE", but again, amazingly, "WolfMother" is, for me anyway, NOT a knock-off band like, IMO, "The Darkness" or "Buckcherry". In the end they do in fact have their own wonderful sound and I had been hoping to see-(*HEAR*) that evolve over time and many more records. Ah well, one can still hope.

I had never heard of the band until I saw 500 Days Of Summer,and just loved the song Vagabond so much I had to find out who the band was.
Jimmy

I've listened to Cosmic Egg for a second time, and I'm thoroughly impressed by these guys, especially Andrew Stockdale.

People say it's a "rip-off" band, because the influences are so pronounced, but just to hear someone flow from Blackmore to Osbourne to Page on the guitar is astounding. His voice does sound like Jack White's, but so what.

These guys are great, it's like 1973 again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfmother

Back
Top Bottom