Calling All Motorola Consoles!!!

relaximus

Consoles 'Я' Us
Anyone that has one, post up pics and any information you have on it. Thanks to TheRed1 (thank you Carter!), we have an excellent resource for Fisher consoles and a burgeoning database of Magnavox console information. But, so very little is known about these Moto's from the late 50's to mid 60's. Model number, amp chassis number, tube complement, speakers, etc. Let's see what we can pull together!

Thanks to everyone that can help.

Cheers!
Dave

Last edited:
1958 6k22mc-1as

Here's my 1958 High Fidelity, TT only mono unit. Jensen Special Design drivers.

58_01.jpg

58_02.jpg

58_03.jpg

The amp chassis is an HS-649A and uses 6V6GT output tubes and some really nicely sized iron.

HS-649A.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
1960 sk##

Still trying to get a model number for this one. The tag with the model and serial number is MIA. Jensen Golden Voice drivers.

blondie_01.jpg

blondie_02.jpg

blondie_03.jpg

The amp chassis is HS-838A and uses a PP pair of ECL86 tubes for each of the 3 channels.

HS-768.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
1960 sk28m

My favorite! This one has the highest WAF (she loves the mahogany) and best sound. Chock full of Jensen Golden Voice drivers. This thing betters my '63 Fisher Custom Electra for sound quality.

60_01.jpg

60_02.jpg

60_03.jpg

The HS-768 amp that has 2 6BQ5's working PP for the bass channel, a single 6BQ5 doing SE duty for each of the left/right channels, a pair of 12AX7A's and a 5U4GB rectifier.

HS-768.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
OK,
I'll play, picked this up in the early summer. Recapped the amp and pre but have not touched cabinet yet.

Last edited:
OK,
I'll play, picked this up in the early summer. Recapped the amp and pre but have not touched cabinet yet.
perchdog:

Thanks for playing our game! From the pics that is an HS-711A chassis manufactured in November of '58 (perhaps a '59 model?). Are those PP 6BQ5's? It's an SK-16W model. Is that a 15" Jensen Special Edition hiding in there? What's the number of that tuning eye tube? Do you have the remote speaker cabinet as well?

Dave

Last edited:
... i only wish i had the remote speaker, the way it was setup only half the amp was used ...
Yep, I've found that this is often the case in these transition to stereo units. The remote (or stereo partner) unit is, almost always, MIA. The thing that I find interesting is that Motorola, as apposed to Magnavox, perhaps foresaw this situation. Most of the Moto consoles that fall into this category have either the partner amp or second channel built-in to the main console chassis. Magnavox, on the other hand, often incorporated the drive for the second channel into the remote cabinet. Lose that piece and you no longer have a stereo capable unit.

Dave

I'll play too! Here is my "59" AM/FM mono, stereo turntable model# HS-767B. It uses four 6AQ5 output tubes, two push/pull for the bass, and one single ended for the right & left. Two 12AX7 tubes and a 5U4GB rectifier. There are also two 12AX7 tubes up in the preamp controls.

console1.jpg

console2.jpg

console3.jpg

console6.jpg

console4.jpg

console5.jpg

My favorite! This one has the highest WAF (she loves the mahogany) and best sound. Chock full of Jensen Golden Voice drivers. This thing betters my '63 Fisher Custom Electra for sound quality.

60_01.jpg

The HS-768 amp that has 2 6BQ5's working PP for the bass channel, a single 6BQ5 doing SE duty for each of the left/right channels, a pair of 12AX7A's and a 5U4GB rectifier.

Dave

Damn NICE console Dave, I just sold mine for $600.00 (same model, museum condition) about two weeks back.
Theres DEFINITELY some serious sound in them.
I put it side by side with his Grundig, and it blew it away. Of course he HAD to have it right away. :banana:

Enjoy yours, Wife wouldn't let me keep mine. :no:

RELAXIMUS ! I like that new Motorola :yes:

here's a funky one for y'all . . the cool thing about this one, is it has a separate little 6BM8 amp, which uses the power supply of the big three channel amp, to run a dedicated 'reverb' circuit with a 8 inch fullranger :

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Markus, that might well be the cut-off SK- model number for 1960. Motorola even gave that model a name: The Heritage Cantonesian. Priced somewhere between $625 and $995; my guess would be the later figure. High-end Motorola funky, indeed.

Cademan scores a Model SK-37 "Early American". Advertised and quite possibly purchased in late 1959 but probably considered a 1960 model.
I'll play too! Here is my "59" AM/FM mono, stereo turntable model# HS-767B. It uses four 6AQ5 output tubes, two push/pull for the bass, and one single ended for the right & left. Two 12AX7 tubes and a 5U4GB rectifier. There are also two 12AX7 tubes up in the preamp controls.

console1.jpg

... here's a funky one for y'all . . the cool thing about this one, is it has a separate little 6BM8 amp, which uses the power supply of the big three channel amp, to run a dedicated 'reverb' circuit with a 8 inch fullranger
Markus:

That thing is a beast! I remember seeing it down in the catacombs and thinking just how imposing it must have looked when new. It's really too bad about the Totem carvings in that Heritage cabinetry. I imagine it was really stunning back in the day.

Dave

Damn NICE console Dave, I just sold mine for $600.00 (same model, museum condition) about two weeks back.
:jawdrop: Where do you live, 'cause I'm moving there!!!

I've never even given a thought to selling mine, but 6 Franklins might quickly change my mind.

Now, about my museum condition '63 Fisher Custom Electra ... :scratch2:

Dave

As a side note: while researching Motorola's 3-Channel consoles, I learned of the existence of a 10", 33-1/3RPM demonstration LP with Jonathan Winters doing comedy bits to promote Motorola's 3-Channel technology. It's titled: ''Motorola Presents 3-Channel Stereophonic High Fidelity/Progress In Sound -- Magic Moments In Music'' in stereo from 1959. A google search should reveal a source for this great accessory for one of you Motorola console guys.

Wow, these are fantastic! I rarely see anything Motorola in this area. The Motorolas seem more polished and technical than Magnavox's, this might be a dumb question, but which "M" is the better console?

I was watching an HS-775A pull on the bay as I hoped to get it for a project I nave in mind. Darn thing went for over $200 with the $39 shipping. Whew! Too steep for my blood. Not even sure it had the demux.

mike

Here is my Motorola console from 1963. It is model# SKR152CW. It is 3 channel with reverb. It has 11 Golden Voice speakers.

Attachments

• IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 746
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 664
  • IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 593
Last edited:
Motorola SK-22B here.Golden Voice 8" 2-ways speakers.I've already posted pics of it elsewhere here,don't think I can post them again.I have the schematic,if I delete the other att',maybe I can post it here.

Back
Top Bottom