The best of Pioneer SX Receivers?

BongoBill279

I am looking to put together an inexpensive vintage stereo system & am very interested in Pioneer SX Receivers. Does anyone have any advice on which one to look for on eBay?

Thanks, Bill

Welcome, Bill!

Alot of factors play into the equation. What size room are you setting up in? What size speakers are you going to drive? What's your idea of an inexpensive system? Budget?

In all honesty, I don't think you can go wrong with any 70's era Pioneer SX. It just depends on alot of unanswered stuff.

Please help us out by defining some more elements to your interest in vintage Pioneer...I'm certain you'll get plenty of recommendations.

A happy medium Pioneer receiver that won't break the bank would be the SX-750 or SX-850.

Or you could go the Integrated Amp route with the SA 7800 and SA 8800 again from the mid 70s. Myself I presently run the SA 8800, very nice sounding Amp.

SX-1050, PL-570 and HPM-100s. The SX-1050 is less in cost than it's well sought out big brother the SX-1250, but just as beefy.

pioneer_PL570.jpg

SX-1050, PL-570 and HPM-100s. The SX-1050 is less in cost than it's well sought out big brother the SX-1250, but just as beefy.

pioneer_PL570.jpg
Your PL-570 is one nice looking TT and I bet, also good sounding.
I have the same speakers and like them very much.

Your PL-570 is one nice looking TT and I bet, also good sounding.
I have the same speakers and like them very much.

Thanks, it sure was a beauty and sounded very nice with the rest of the Pioneer gear. Unfortunately I don have it any longer. I sold it after I acquired a Pioneer PLC-590.

Without question, the SX-1250 and the SX-1050 are the best. The SX-1280 and the SX-1980 have output modules that if they blow are unobtanium.

Thanks, it sure was a beauty and sounded very nice with the rest of the Pioneer gear. Unfortunately I don have it any longer. I sold it after I acquired a Pioneer PLC-590.
Remember those quite well from the 70s. While stationed in Germany in the 70s to early 80s, I acquired the Pioneer SA-8800, the AR10Π, the AR91, a Sansui tuner 719, and a CS704 Dual TT. I had a good look see at your ex TT but decided otherwise. Who knows if I made the right choice???

I have a 780 and it sounds great. They were middle of the line when new and are still cost effective when compared to the much more highly sought after totl units.(the 10xx and 12xx series) And if you can get by with a lower end sx series you will have lots of bucks left over for the rest of your system. and the 450's and 650's I've heard sounded pretty good too.

The best sounding of the big receivers IMHO is the SX-1010 100 watts and a slightly warmer sound akin to a SA-9100 Amp.

I have a 780 and it's a solid unit running the sound system for a local maritime museum. The tuner needs work, but since I'm using it to play tape audio, that's not important. It plays from 11am-4pm on weekends without a break for the summer, then the museum shuts down for the winter. Every spring, I put it back in action without any problems. Going on year three!

Any of the mid range units are good, like the SX-780. However... if you are patient and willing to spend a bit more I think the SX-1050 is best value. Sometimes you see them sell under the radar at very good prices. Pound for pound compared to the littler guys there is no comparison, the SX-1050 is a beast.

I am looking to put together an inexpensive vintage stereo system & am very interested in Pioneer SX Receivers. Does anyone have any advice on which one to look for on eBay?

Thanks, Bill
Do you want the best inexpensive Pioneer SX receiver? If so I'd look for an SX-850. The build quality is a step up from the 750 and it has a real wood veneer cabinet vs. vinyl on the 750.

Do you want the best inexpensive Pioneer SX receiver? If so I'd look for an SX-850. The build quality is a step up from the 750 and it has a real wood veneer cabinet vs. vinyl on the 750.

I would second the 850 but I am biased because it is the only SX I own. Plenty of power in there that drive just about anything you throw at it. There is some debate but some people say you only consider anything 750 or higher in the SX line.

I've had a few sx-780's and loved them dearly. I upgraded to a 980 and honestly wish I'd have kept the 780. The 780 was a much warmer sounding unit. If you want something a little out of the ordinary, look for aan SX-5580. Its the black face version of a 1050. Same on the inside (including massive torroidial transformer you didn't see much back then). They go for a bit more then the 1050 but are more rare. I have one I've pretty much decided I'll be buried with.

IMO - the great ones are the SX-850 through the SX-1250. The SX-850 and SX-950 are the same size, the SX-1050 larger (deeper and wider) and the SX-1250 is slightly larger yet. For a basic high quality starter I would go with the SX-850 or SX-950. The build quality is unbeatable, plus they are easy to work on should you ever need to.
The older "blackout dial" versions are excellent too. Models include the SX-727, SX-939 and of course the SX-1010. I don't care for the SX-X80 series (the ones with the power meters) as they're just not my cup of tea and I don't particularly like the design, but YMMV!

PS - I own and use all of the SX-850 - SX-1250 models, so if you have any questions or want measurements just let me know!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom