Mini-tutorial: How to disassemble Marantz pushswitches for better cleaning/de-Oxiting

Leicalover

Love vintage cameras too!
We all know, that the switches of the Marantz receivers often cause problems. In most cases, it is sufficient to spray de-oxit in there as often recommended here on AK. But the spray will go all over the board, too. I don't like that so much... ;-)

Sometimes, I also had really dirty switches with bad contacts. The switch even did not MOVE properly. So I thought it is better to remove the switch. You can easily clean all contacts then.

Here is how I do. You do not even need access from the inside of the receiver. (but it`s of big advantage though....:D)

One word on the beginning: please use this small tutorial at your own risk! If your switches are working well, there is probably no need to do this, of course. It's on you to decide! Make yourself familiar with how the switch works before you start! This is just, how I do it. If you don't feel to have very skilled fingers, better don't do it. Thank you.

Here we go:

First remove the front of course and put the receiver upside down. Here it is a 2245.

VERY IMPORTANT: the switch has to be in the OFF-position:

Pull the little spring towards yourself and hold it in that position until you have access to the little metall piece you see on the top.

Now, lift up that piece carefully and pull the switch out. It's a good idea to have a look inside too, to see how it works. If you know, and with a little bit of practice, it's possible to do it from outside only...

Take care of the little springs inside. There is a spring behind every contact on the stick. They easily get lost and tend to fly through the whole working room!

WARNING AGAIN!!! EDIT: As of today (January 2011) I receive nearly every second week a message from people who lost at least one of these little springs! I have not many left and if you loose this spring, I cannot help you anymore with spare part springs! So, be careful! And again: If you do not feel to disassemble the switch, don't do it. Thank you for your understanding!

Here I added a photo, of what you can expect:

Now you have acess to the contacts for cleaning. Don't forget to clean the contacts inside the unit, too. These are usually worse, than the one on the stick. Use a cotton swab, or whatever you like. :thmbsp:

Reassemble vice versa:

Done!

If you want, you can put a little bit of grease on the moving elements. (Where the metall piece is)

Here another switch:

Some switches have a different mechanism, they look like this. I havent figured out yet, how to open them. And there might be others, I dont know. :sigh:

Thanks for watching and good luck.

:beerchug:

Last edited:
Clean headphone jacks as well.

Thank you. Most of you might already know. But I thought it could be just helpful in some cases!!! :beerchug:

I forgot to say: You can also take some of the headphone-jacks and dubbing in, dubbing-out jacks apart for better cleaning. I will not open another receiver for pics, so I will show you on this broken one.

It is not necessary to unsolder them, if they are in the unit. But it's a good idea to unscrew them, because they break easily on the part, where the screw fits. Like on this one, which I had to replace.

The dubbing in jack on 2325 and 2330 for example are switch-jacks (?) and have internal switch connections as well. These are especially better cleaned when disassembled. They have the same housing, but 2 more metal pieces inside.

This type of jacks look like this from outside. Haven't tried the earlier models yet.

Well, the metall pieces are just clipped into the plastic jack. The pics are self-explaining.

Voilà:

Thanks. I apologize for my english.

Last edited:
I am impressed with your techique. Any surgical skills?

Thank you for the professional grade pictorial. Wonderful work!

charles

Wow! for a non-tech like me, this is perhaps the best how-to-do-it I have ever seen here. And thats saying something because there is some pretty good stuff here. And I can't wait to try this.

Just one question; How do you get the silver knob off without breaking it?

I just pull the silver knobs off, when the switch is in the off-position. Pull it from behind (how to say?) so that the inside plastic comes with it.

If it doesn't come off, or you feel it stuck, I'd better let it on and put a tape (cotton-tape e.g.) around it to protect it against any scratches.

2nd switch pictures?

Jan, Have you been able to figure out how to remove the kind of switches as shown in the last picture? They look like the kind of switches I have on my Marantz 2238B. I believe I have a dirty Mono/Stereo Switch/Button that the contacts could probably use a good cleaning. I'm getting static in my left channel only when in Stereo position. When in Mono the static is not present. The static happens in left channel on all inputs (Phono/Aux/Tape 1 & 2) but not on the tuner (AM/FM mono or stereo).

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't. :no:

Perhaps, I gave up half the way. This is what I figured out: (talking about the perspective I took the pic)The metall piece is also there, but it forms an "U" inside the stick instead of an "n" outside the stick on the other switches.

If you pull the spring towards you, you can lift up the plastic on top. Then the metal piece is free and the stick should come out... but it does not! :scratch2:

This is how far I went:

There must be something else, holding the stick in position.

It's true that the Mono/Stereo button causes maybe the most problems. So we really should know how to open...:yes: ...shouldn't you have the static also in FM Stereo if the switch causes this? I am not sure, maybe wait for the pro's before you try to open it.

I am sure, others here on AK do know how to!!! :wave:

Regards,

EDIT: Hmmm, if I see my photo now, I think that maybe the plastic is not lifted high enough. It's on chassis. So, maybe you have to unscew the board from the chassis. But I will not try it.

Last edited:
Multipath button

Small update:

The Multipath button does not stay down and has a different contruction. It is hold by a little plastic piece instead of the metal.

You can lightly lift up that plastic piece in front of the receiver. Then pull it backwards into the middle of the receiver. Be careful not to break it.

In the pic, its at the right:

By the way:
If all the switches are out at a 2325 you will have easy acces to the PU01 board of a 2325 by the way. Without disassembling the front chassis.

You are welcome!

I will keep it updated as soon as I will find something out new (for me). :D

:thmbsp:

If it doesn't come off, or you feel it stuck, I'd better let it on and put a tape (cotton-tape e.g.) around it to protect it against any scratches.

Hi all,

I receved a few PMs and therefore:

I just would like to say again: If the aluminum knob does not come off easily, leave it ON! You might risk to break the plastic shaft, if you try too hard.
Thanks!

And: If there is not enough space to lift up the little metall piece that holds the shaft (can anybody tell me the correct english word for it? Thanks) you can loose the screws that hold the whole board. Then you can move the board a little and makes work easier.

So long...

Hello all,

hmmm, I feel pretty much honored, that somebody made this a sticky. Thank you! :rolleyes:

So, here are two detailed pictures of what you can expect, if you have the switch outside. It might be good to know, I think!
As I said before, these little spring and the piece can get lost extremely easily. So, be careful, when taking the switch out.

But don't worry too much. You really will be surprised, how good the switches are working after a "deep cleaning". :D

Regards, Jan.

Back
Top Bottom