The Official Elcaset thread!

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Always been interested in this format, though I have never had a chance to use one, nor do I remember even seeing one in the flesh.

Please post pictures, comments,questions, etc. to do with Elcaset here. Lets see what happens.

I'm going to sticky this thread so that it will stay in sight as a resource.

Holy Moly I never thought I would see this happen. I need to snap a few pics of my EL-7's.

I hope this doesn't drive up the prices of old tapes. :rolleyes:

Holy Moly I never thought I would see this happen. I need to snap a few pics of my EL-7's.

I hope this doesn't drive up the prices of old tapes. :rolleyes:

Just keep adding to all of your posts that Elcaset is garbage and not worth spending money on. :)

I saw an ELCaset once. One of my favorite high end stores had them. I liked the concept but was skeptical of how it would be accepted. Still a very interesting format.

"Elcaset is garbage and not worth spending money on"...

I thought it was taboo NOT to discuss this format here (lol). I thought the limit was 8-track...

I only have one Elcaset deck, and in contrast with ~10 of everything else, that seems too little. My deck is a Technics RS-7500. It works as it arrived but has issues with the idlers that transfer rotation to the tape spools. The unit is huge - think 7" R2R size and not the tiny ones. However, the transport is built like a cassette deck. A cassette transport in R2R dimensions shows its weakness. And think of a low end cassette deck transport, like RS-631 (that I know of) not RS-M85 or the sorts.

The idlers are plastic hubs with rubber tires. They are a bit worn and now they are slippery and the deck needs to warm up before they grab. Otherwise, it's like a Formula 1 car with cold tires.

Unfortunatelly I forgot to take pictures when I took it apart to clean it up and make my first attempt to restore the idlers. I will take pics the next time I work on it.

In the meantime, here's a pic of the deck from the outside.

And in order not to leave the mistaken impression I don't like the deck or the format, the format sounds great. Even without Dolby (it's not really needed) I can't hear audible hiss and the frequency response is better than a R2R deck at 3 3/4ips.

Attachments

• PICTURE_S08s.jpg
    PICTURE_S08s.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 674
Very nice. I always thought the Technics deck looked really nice.

There's a very rare Technics Type III tape on Ebay right now. There was a couple listed not that long ago that I missed by a few minutes. Wished I would have been able to get them.

Technics RT-60XALC.jpg

Here are a few pics of my Sony Elcaset EL-7, purchased new in 1980. It was in storage for about 28 years and I just started using it again in 2008. I started a thread back then. Here it is:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=177706&highlight=elcaset

el2.jpg

el70-2.jpg

el71.jpg

el1.jpg

elcaset_blank.jpg

Are blank tapes available?
Only on places like eBay, and even used ones go for close to $20 and up. I bought a case of 12 when I got the deck, and still have 8 or so unopened.

You really have to see, use and hear these decks to appreciate them... I think they are a great addition to anyone's vintage tape deck collection. :)

elcaset_blank.jpg

Only on places like eBay, and even used ones go for close to $20 and up. I bought a case of 12 when I got the deck, and still have 8 or so unopened.

You really have to see, use and hear these decks to appreciate them... I think they are a great addition to anyone's vintage tape deck collection. :)

Interesting. I wonder if a good tape shop could reload the shells?

I remember seeing the ElCaset when they first came out. That's a very nice unit you have.

some lofi pics

Here is one EL-7 still in working condition. Brakes needs a little adjustment though..

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 197
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom