Deoxit vs. CRC Contact Cleaner vs ?

AudCrshDumy

Well, I'm about to embark on my 1st deoxit attempt on my Marantz 1250 vol pot. Is this stuff different/better than contact cleaner ?

I use CRC QD Contact Cleaner with great success. I would like to try Deoxit in the near future to see which I like better.

I've used CFC with good results. And it sprays upside down. But I use DexoIT exclusively now.

Actually, Caig's FaderLube is the best thing to use on pots and moving contacts....or at least use it after using the DeoxIt....

In the nearly five decades that I've been messing with electronics, the Caig solutions are the best things that I have found that's still around since the demise of Cramolin and Freon TF solvents...man, I miss the days of buying a 30lb. jug of R-11 for twenty bucks or so...I used to use that stuff like water....

I'm not comparing this to Deoxit by Caig, because I've never used the Deoxit brand, but I've been using a product called "Jiffy Bath contact cleaner" by "GC Electronics" for quite some time and have always had excellent results, so see no reason to change. At my local distributer, the Deoxit brand is six times as much as the GC, which is important to me because I go through a lot of it.

CRC Contact Cleaner dries up and is gone, Deoxit leaves a residue to condition and prevent corrosion. They are really different.

dew.

I've used both to good effect. DeOxit may be better at preventing future outbreaks, but nothing ever stays in use long enough for me to have judged it.

I've always thought of CRC as more for automotive use. Corroded connections, etc. I personally wouldn't use it on my sensitive electronic equipment.

The CRC is fine to use on electronics, but one needs to remember that it is a contact cleaner, not a contact preservative. It's great because it doesn't leave a residue (Oh, I long for the days of TF, like RickB says- I still have a few cans and small containers of liquid TF), but for switches and pots, some protection makes for a much more reliable result. I typically use the DeoxIT first, then if necessary follow up with Faderlube (the DeoxIT itself is an oil, so it does have some lubricating properties of its own).

I've always thought of CRC as more for automotive use. Corroded connections, etc. I personally wouldn't use it on my sensitive electronic equipment.

It's actually made just for sensitive electronics like .....

Formulated for use on precision instruments,
equipment and components

Safely cleans plastic surfaces, magnetic
and paper tape components

Effectively removes dust, lint, and light oil from tape heads,
tuners, and sensitive equipment

Non-conductive

Cleans and degreases points, contacts, switches,
relays, plugs, printed circuits and diagnostic test equipment

Evaporates quickly and completely

Harmless to most plastics

Leaves no residue

Contains no CFCs

If you want to clean a board, pots etc spray it on heavy. It dries real quick and will take off the heavy gunk. Then use the Fader Lube or coating products if that's your thing. But this stuff works excellent for first time cleaning of old vintage gear without taking it apart. Been using it for years on my cars and mostly guitar amps to include tube amps. And most of all it costs less than most others.

SHIELDS UP!
i use wd40. every audio piece i've ever restored has had wd40 on it somewhere. be it pots, tube sockets, dirty switch contacts, etc. some of you may cringe at this thought but hey its worked for me and on pieces i use daily for hours on end.

So is CRC QD safe for pots? I used it to great effect on switches in my Baldwin organ but was not sure how it would be on pots so just used fader lube.

mike

SHIELDS UP!
i use wd40. every audio piece i've ever restored has had wd40 on it somewhere. be it pots, tube sockets, dirty switch contacts, etc. some of you may cringe at this thought but hey its worked for me and on pieces i use daily for hours on end.

:nono:

Every product has a purpose... but using WD40 to clean/lube pots seems rather risky.

I can see using it as a cleaner to loosen crud on a PCB, but not on my delicate pots, please.

I use CRC and deoxit...infact ive got a couple of ounces of deoxit some where. and two 5 ounce cans of CRC. i use it for pots, hosing down circuit boards.
Deoxit is great, but very expensive for the small amount they contain.

When I get a pot that's very stubborn about coming clean, I'll just hose it out thouroughly with CRC (or similar) and then follow up with Faderlube F100. For switches it's usually D5 or D100, and DN5 for most pots. Header pins and other plug type devices get G100 (ProGold).

Back
Top Bottom