A brand new tube amp for under $100? - Nahhh...

aussiedan

Ambition beyond ability
Just thought I'd share some pics of a new tube amp (I bought one) that I found for $99.00. I had to look twice at the advert.

Sounds pretty good so far. Has 2 x 6N1, 2 x 6P15's. Advertised as stereo valve hybrid amp 2 x 18WRMS.

I havn't had it long enough to say much, other than it sounds good and is from China.

I couldn't pass up a new tube amp, with a shop warranty, for $99.00, but I dont know how long it will last.
Sorry about the fuzzy pic.

Anyway, enjoy.
Danny.

More to come as I find out.

Attachments

• digitech1B.jpg
    digitech1B.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,176
  • digitech2B.jpg
    digitech2B.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 771
  • digitech3B.jpg
    digitech3B.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 792
It would be tough to buy all the parts for that price. I assume it was shipping directly from China? It does look pretty for a new piece.

It would be tough to buy all the parts for that price. I assume it was shipping directly from China? It does look pretty for a new piece.

It was through the local electronics shop. In their catologue sale. Was $299.00, down to $99.00. They are only agents, so they didn't have one on the shelf to look at or hear. I figured it had $99.00 worth of parts too.
When I say from China, I mean manufactured there. Sorry for that.

The VU meter is a bit weird. Stereo output, but only one meter? Looks good though. The power indicator LED is strong enough to light the room. Waaay too bright.

It was a bit noisy at the start, but it settled down.
Pretty good for the bucks, so far. Not as nice as the old Pioneer though.

F*ing lying sacks of shite......
I hate pukes like this.
How do these bastards sleep at night???

Sorry, pet peeve here...

Rant off

I've never seen a Chinese amp offered in a stereo shop here in Southern California. No UL so retailers won't take on the liability.

It was advertised (when I saw it) as a "Stereo valve hybrid amplifier"
On the top of the case, it calls itself a "Vacuum tube audio power amplifier"
I guessed it was using a T amp or something in combination with the tubes. I thought cool, thats what I do, mix SS and tubes.

I thought it had very strong bass, there had to be some solid state at work.

The dissection would also explain why the tubes look so bright.

I dont feel so bad knowing that someone of a technical nature was prepared to take a gamble on $299 for one of these. Like he said, I dont need another SS amp, but for $99, I got a SS amp with a tube front end. I'm debating weather to return it or not. I won't take it back on the grounds of mis-representation, just quality. Like other China junk, its build quality ain't great. I guess that its going to pop when I turn it up.

I have cooked many Chinese power tools, some have actually exploded during use. It will be interesting to see how long it copes. $99 would buy me 2 good bottles of burbon. When the amp pops, I can take it back, get my cash, then head to the bottle shop.

I have little hope of ever building something like this, so I saved another non-finished project that I should never have started.

Anyway, I will be giving it a bit of a run through the week, see how it goes.

digitech brand is sold here in 24hr pharmacies. everything they sell is cheap stuff. that would tip me off. these guys also sell those little am/fm radios that look like mini tube amps with LED's lighting up fake tubes.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

It has pretty looks. And $100 isn't as bad as $300.
It can be converted into tubes only preamp.
But I would correct the heaters voltage ASAP.

Thanks for the tip, Gary Indiana.

I'd like to think I could correct the heaters voltage, but I'm thinking it would be a bit too technical for me. My knowledge of tubes is very limited. I have replaced transistors in a SS reciever before (with guidance), that was my biggest audio repair. The tubes do look wrong running like light bulbs.

Would anyone here help me fix the heater voltage?

Thanks, Danny.

A company named "Digitech" selling analog tube amps......:scratch2:

Name should have given that away!

I did get a chuckle when I saw that. They also printed it proudly on the top of the amp.

I thought it was just a few blokes in Melbourne that rang China and got their brand put on it. I didn't know they got to Miami. Probably made by the "Who-flung-dung Electric Co."

Back
Top Bottom