Cleaning the Capstan Rubber Rollers

Roller Cleaner

The quickest and most effective rubber roller cleaner I have ever used is 409.:thmbsp:

Lots of strong opinions! Mostly saying something like "no problem after x years using it". So, maybe *lots* of different products work? Anyone have experience with any product totally futzing up their pinch rollers?:scratch2:

Lots of strong opinions! Mostly saying something like "no problem after x years using it". So, maybe *lots* of different products work? Anyone have experience with any product totally futzing up their pinch rollers?:scratch2:

I agree, let's try and keep the attitude in check in any future OPINION postings.

How about Ever Clear Grain Alcohol? It cleans heads well according to post's I've read in the forums. Evaporates quick with no residue?

Thanks,

Phil

I followed http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/ advice and tried dish soap and it worked great. Would not of believed it if I didn't try it myself.
Halfway down main page.

It says:
My advise and its only my opinion, and I know this doesn't clean as good as some high octaine chemical, but I suggest just plain old dish soap and water, then rinse good.
Can you really do that on a cassette deck without getting first soap and then water all over the place? Or are you talking about R2R?

Kenwood says use alcohol. I couldn't find 99% so I have been using Everclear myself. Not sure it it is good or not but it cleaned the rollers just fine and took the shine off of them as well.

I have used Everclear for years with no problems. It cleans great and leaves no deposits when it evaporates. Many years ago when i was a computer mainframe operator we used Everclear on all the tape drives; it was recommended by the IBM customer engineer.

Capstain Rollers

Thanks guys,
I have read all the posts on restoring rollers, have a problem w/mine, and have tried them all. Am just going to do the right thing and send to Terry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since you've tried everything else and have nothing to loose, try a little paint thinner on a white cloth or Q-tip with the drive engaged if you can and clean the pinch roller and the capstan. When the cloth comes out clean, the roller will be clean. It will also be supple and will keep the tape in line with the heads. Through headphones, you'll hear the stereo image spot-on - no drifting of highs from side to side.

I've done this to every used deck I've acquired over the past 40 years and all of them work perfectly. Then just use 99% alcohol for maintenance. I have yet to see one that didn't work. I have a CR 7A, 4 Tandbergs, 2 Teacs, 2 Revoxes, 2 Tascams and 2 Sony Walkman Pros. All of them were done this way. Pictures of a few of them...All were used and all sat neglected for years and are now back on track (pun intended) :banana:

CIMG0001-1.jpg

CIMG0015.jpg

CIMG0013.jpg

CIMG0014.jpg

Tascam122MKIII.jpg

CIMG0012.jpg

Last edited:
I use just mild dish soap and water on the rubber roller on my Akai 230d and Teac 4010 gsl and have never had a problem.

I purchased a Teac 4010 SU in 1968. It still sits next ot my other equipment and is used almost daily. In 1968 I bought a cleaning and head lubricating kit (Head cleaner, Rubber cleaner and Head lubricant). All three little bottles smelled exactly like denatured (isopropyl, rubbing) alcohol. When the bottles were empty I only filled one and that was with denatured alcohol. That was 42 years ago. The heads, tape guides, capstan and pinch roller have never been changed. All original and still pumping out fine sound...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom