Holy Cow! Yamaha 101M amplifier

500W into 8 Ohms? Think again!

Those must be uber rare . . even in Japan. Don't think we'll ever come across one in our lifetimes.
I talked to a Yamaha tech guy from SoCal who has a 101M. That's probably the closest I'll get to one.

500W into 8 Ohms? Think again!

Those must be uber rare . . even in Japan. Don't think we'll ever come across one in our lifetimes.

maybe the big onk and the big G are rated as 300wpc but, with bigger i meant the complete dimensions of the device. these are just bigger. okay if you count the sansui for 2 devices then only the onkyo is bigger with 71dm³

The rotel rb-5000 is not that big, and don't have the quality of the yamaha.

The 101M is a pro amp aimed for studio use, acording to TVK Yamaha did make a prototype pre amp to go with the power amp (101C). But since most studios use the mix consol as pre amp it made little sence to bring it to the market. Only in home use it would make sence, but not many homes would be able to pay for it - so no pre :-(

750W+750W(4Ω、歪0.01%)
500W+500W(8Ω、歪0.003%)
1.5kW(BTL接続、8Ω、歪0.01%)
^ that 1.5kW is the dynamic headroom?

Holy freakin s**t!!!

no 1.5kw is the power in bridged mode.
2x750 watt into 4ohm, when bridged is 1x1500 watt into 8 ohm.
the haviest amp in dynamic headroom is the onkyo m-510 with 2x2100 watt.

According to K. Nichi the Onkyo M-510 was 300+300W@8ohm and 500+500W@4ohm how does that translate into 2x2100W, is that the 1 ohm music rating?

The Yamaha 101M was 500+500W@8ohm and 750+750@4ohm, depending on how the power was measured the Onkyo do seem to have slightly more power reserve (a ratio of 1,5 vs. 1,66) - but this at much lower power.

Note also that the 4 ohm rating of the Onkyo does not show the distortion level and that the dynamic power ratings of the Yamaha are not listed. The 1.5KW@8ohm bridged rating does indicate a tremendous power reserve in the 101.

"the haviest amp in dynamic headroom" do you mean at all?

http://www.google.com/translate?u=h...knisi/m-510.html&langpair=ja|en&hl=da&ie=UTF8

http://www.google.com/translate?u=h...knisi/m-510.html&langpair=ja|en&hl=da&ie=UTF8

61 Kg!! That's over 120 pounds!

:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

yer gonna need a bigger boooat

Seriously... that's just craziness. It'd be odd to have to hire furniture movers to get your amp down to the basement... but it'd be a very AWESOME kind of odd!

There are white whales.. and then there are Nessie's... these are definitely Nessies...

I feel a chuck norris -> yamaha 101m quote coming up... here it is:

Yamaha 101m doesn't need a power socket to run, its powered by its own sun.

That amp has it's own field of gravity, that's for sure! When turning that amp on, the Christmas light scene from "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" comes to mind, when the electric meter takes off and the power plant's backup generators kick in.

Funny no one mentions the SOUND of the amp, just the fact it is big, heavy, rare and "intrinsically awesome". I find this the case with most vintage gear where the "awe power" is from facets that are far removed from its sound. I admit the MX 10000 is a beautiful amp, but it is the rarity, and exclusivity that make it desireable, not necessarily the sound. I have a Bryston 14B SST (2 years young) and a 25 year old Luxman M 05, and the Lux beats the Bryston sonically. Hard to believe but true. But most who lust after the Luxman know of the sound character and the quality of the soundstage (class A helps). But not many lust after it due to its weight, looks or rarity.

I wonder how many vintage pieces have such attachment to them but in actuallity are sonically neutral, bland or average. My guess is the latter. Outside of the vintage community, and the brand name peticularily, you never hear of them at all.... whether they are Yamaha, Rotel, Sansui, Pioneer.....

Makes me wonder where and why the value on vintage electronics is where it is.

Back
Top Bottom