Holy Cow! Yamaha 101M amplifier

Funny no one mentions the SOUND of the amp, just the fact it is big, heavy, rare and "intrinsically awesome". I find this the case with most vintage gear where the "awe power" is from facets that are far removed from its sound. I admit the MX 10000 is a beautiful amp, but it is the rarity, and exclusivity that make it desireable, not necessarily the sound. I have a Bryston 14B SST (2 years young) and a 25 year old Luxman M 05, and the Lux beats the Bryston sonically. Hard to believe but true. But most who lust after the Luxman know of the sound character and the quality of the soundstage (class A helps). But not many lust after it due to its weight, looks or rarity.

I wonder how many vintage pieces have such attachment to them but in actuallity are sonically neutral, bland or average. My guess is the latter. Outside of the vintage community, and the brand name peticularily, you never hear of them at all.... whether they are Yamaha, Rotel, Sansui, Pioneer.....

Makes me wonder where and why the value on vintage electronics is where it is.
I agree. The Yamaha 101M (the PC5002M is the virtually identical pro version) is not simply a monster amp, it's also a superb sounding amp.

if anything's going to bring Mark B out to post, it's a thread on the 101M! good to hear from ya, i feel like it's been a while.

the PC5002M is an amp i've had a hard time getting rid of...for lack of justification, not for lack of trying :)

But it has a lot of "head" room and makes you feel relaxed and satisfied :)

In the pro world it is all about how it works, looks are for the after party. Even the 101M would work bought places, but don't play too much with the knobs - she might bite!

Last edited:
Funny no one mentions the SOUND of the amp, just the fact it is big, heavy, rare and "intrinsically awesome". I find this the case with most vintage gear where the "awe power" is from facets that are far removed from its sound. I admit the MX 10000 is a beautiful amp, but it is the rarity, and exclusivity that make it desireable, not necessarily the sound. I have a Bryston 14B SST (2 years young) and a 25 year old Luxman M 05, and the Lux beats the Bryston sonically. Hard to believe but true. But most who lust after the Luxman know of the sound character and the quality of the soundstage (class A helps). But not many lust after it due to its weight, looks or rarity.

I wonder how many vintage pieces have such attachment to them but in actuallity are sonically neutral, bland or average. My guess is the latter. Outside of the vintage community, and the brand name peticularily, you never hear of them at all.... whether they are Yamaha, Rotel, Sansui, Pioneer.....

Makes me wonder where and why the value on vintage electronics is where it is.

I'm curious if your claim is based on an audition or time with an MX-10000?

if anything's going to bring Mark B out to post, it's a thread on the 101M! good to hear from ya, i feel like it's been a while.

the PC5002M is an amp i've had a hard time getting rid of...for lack of justification, not for lack of trying :)

+1.

Good to see you on board,Mark.

This thread was started by Bully(who we never hear from any more).Thus it's nice to hear from Mark B(who we hardly ever hear from any more).

Stay well both of you(Bully and Mark B). :thmbsp::thmbsp:

yamaha

HI I am the proud owner off a Yamaha mx10000
Got it a couple off weeks ago:banana:
The sound surprised me...it sounds more like a tube amp
that my Carvers kt-88
The most notable issue was the Highs ...sweet highs like
never before.
Regards

HI I am the proud owner off a Yamaha mx10000
Got it a couple off weeks ago:banana:
The sound surprised me...it sounds more like a tube amp
that my Carvers kt-88
The most notable issue was the Highs ...sweet highs like
never before.
Regards

Welcome to AK.That's a pretty snappy component to be initiating your stint here with. :yes: :drool:

Tell us more about your system and the story of your MX-10000. :thmbsp:

Maybe you would like to take a look see under the hood and let us know. Do you have any more room on your work bench?:D:D:D
Looks alot like the old PC5002M
Funny guy.

Interesting..
I agree. The Yamaha 101M (the PC5002M is the virtually identical pro version) is not simply a monster amp, it's also a superb sounding amp.

How many of these do you have Lane..

Last edited:
Welcome to AK.That's a pretty snappy component to be initiating your stint here with. :yes: :drool:

Tell us more about your system and the story of your MX-10000. :thmbsp:

Well I been lurking audiokarma for a long time...my english is poor and I
may be shy
The fact that I dream on the mx10000 for a time AND never be able to
listen and folks asking how he actually sound encorage me to wrigth
about it...quite a susprise, I espected POWER and found delicated
and sweet HIGHS... and powerfull bass.
The mx10000 is not yet on my room ( it does not fit on my racks, Im
building a special one for it ) so it is instaled in another room with
some jbl l96 for the moment.
Im a vintage lover and a long time yamaha fan ( original cr 3020 owner )
Regarding my system... well I have a LOT off them.... I cant stand selling
my equips so I keep them:D
I have most off the equips of my entire life
Yamaha cr 3020
Carver tfm 45
technics se-a5 se-a3 se-a100 se-a3000 se-a5000 se-a7000
all of them with their pre amp
Some odd pieces too like an old telefunken and sabas harman kardon
citation one pre amp.. and in current use a pair of Carvers
Kt 88 mono blocks with JBL L300 and a 2A3 SET with Lowthers in
enclosures done by me.
I live in Chile by the way
Regars

Well I been lurking audiokarma for a long time...my english is poor and I
may be shy
The fact that I dream on the mx10000 for a time AND never be able to
listen and folks asking how he actually sound encorage me to wrigth
about it...quite a susprise, I espected POWER and found delicated
and sweet HIGHS... and powerfull bass.
The mx10000 is not yet on my room ( it does not fit on my racks, Im
building a special one for it ) so it is instaled in another room with
some jbl l96 for the moment.
Im a vintage lover and a long time yamaha fan ( original cr 3020 owner )
Regarding my system... well I have a LOT off them.... I cant stand selling
my equips so I keep them:D
I have most off the equips of my entire life
Yamaha cr 3020
Carver tfm 45
technics se-a5 se-a3 se-a100 se-a3000 se-a5000 se-a7000
all of them with their pre amp
Some odd pieces too like an old telefunken and sabas harman kardon
citation one pre amp.. and in current use a pair of Carvers
Kt 88 mono blocks with JBL L300 and a 2A3 SET with Lowthers in
enclosures done by me.
I live in Chile by the way
Regars

Your gear is excellent!

Interesting..

How many of these do you have Lane..

Just one 101M and one MX10000. Multiples and other unused gear will soon be appearing for sale. Getting things narrowed down a bit. Closing in on finishing the 10000 series. The elusive HX-10000 is almost within reach but still on the other side of the earth at the moment.

By the way Escultor, great piece of gear and very hard to find. You certainly will enjoy it. We appear to have started with Yamaha gear around the same time. My first piece was a CR3020 originally purchased around 1980 and still use it today.
Congratulations:thmbsp:

Just one 101M and one MX10000. Multiples and other unused gear will soon be appearing for sale. Getting things narrowed down a bit. Closing in on finishing the 10000 series. The elusive HX-10000 is almost within reach but still on the other side of the earth at the moment.

By the way Escultor, great piece of gear and very hard to find. You certainly will enjoy it. We appear to have started with Yamaha gear around the same time. My first piece was a CR3020 originally purchased around 1980 and still use it today.
Congratulations:thmbsp:

Thanks...:thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom