Luxman R-113 -- looking for advice...

dibmem

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just picked up a Luxman R-113 Receiver for $25 at the local Goodwill.
No manual with it, but it works like a charm and sounds wonderful!

This is my first receiver with two sets of speaker terminals.
Any advice for a novice who would like to run, say JBL L-65 (my everyday speakers) and Pioneer HPM-100s (recently acquired) simultaneously?

Also, I've tried setting up my Logitech Harmony 880 remote with an entry for the R-113, but it's not responding at all.
I haven't been able to locate an IR 'eye' on the receiver, so I'm guessing it doesn't have one?

Two more thoughts... What is the Pre-Out option for? Does anyone have a copy of the manual scanned, by chance?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
dib

Using two pairs of speakers will present a 4-ohm (nominal) load to the amplifier. I don't see a manual for the R-113 on hifiengine, but the R-117 has a "dynamic power" rating down to 2 ohms so I'd guess you're fine with 4 ohms. If you're worried, remove the top cover and keep an eye on the temperature of the big heatsinks on the output transistors... if it gets too hot to touch, they're drawing too much current and you're asking for trouble.

The pre-out allows you to separate the pre- and power amps. You could use it to

drive another separate power amp
drive both the internal and an external amp (using a Y-adaptor)
drive the internal amp using an external pre-amp.

You get the idea. The TAPE OUT jacks come BEFORE the preamp circuitry and are unaffected by any of the controls i.e. tone, balance, volume. The PRE-OUT jacks come AFTER the pre-amp but BEFORE the power amp and ARE affected by the tone, balance, and volume controls.

Using two pairs of speakers will present a 4-ohm (nominal) load to the amplifier. I don't see a manual for the R-113 on hifiengine, but the R-117 has a "dynamic power" rating down to 2 ohms so I'd guess you're fine with 4 ohms. If you're worried, remove the top cover and keep an eye on the temperature of the big heatsinks on the output transistors... if it gets too hot to touch, they're drawing too much current and you're asking for trouble.

The pre-out allows you to separate the pre- and power amps. You could use it to

drive another separate power amp
drive both the internal and an external amp (using a Y-adaptor)
drive the internal amp using an external pre-amp.

You get the idea. The TAPE OUT jacks come BEFORE the preamp circuitry and are unaffected by any of the controls i.e. tone, balance, volume. The PRE-OUT jacks come AFTER the pre-amp but BEFORE the power amp and ARE affected by the tone, balance, and volume controls.

Just as a side-note: the R-113 does not have a jumpered pre-out to main-in like many receivers/integrateds do, but only a pre-out, that can drive a power amplifier. One way to use it as a power amp would be to use the CD input, enable the CD Direct function and turn the VC all the way up, but it's not something I would do.

Great little receiver, enjoy!

az

Just picked up a Luxman R-113 Receiver for $25 at the local Goodwill.
No manual with it, but it works like a charm and sounds wonderful!

This is my first receiver with two sets of speaker terminals.
Any advice for a novice who would like to run, say JBL L-65 (my everyday speakers) and Pioneer HPM-100s (recently acquired) simultaneously?

Also, I've tried setting up my Logitech Harmony 880 remote with an entry for the R-113, but it's not responding at all.
I haven't been able to locate an IR 'eye' on the receiver, so I'm guessing it doesn't have one?

Two more thoughts... What is the Pre-Out option for? Does anyone have a copy of the manual scanned, by chance?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
dib

The R-113 is under powered for running two pairs of speakers. Considering how valuable the L-65 and HPM-100's are, I think it would be a good idea to invest some money in a more powerful amp.

Excellent advice from all! Thanks a bunch everyone.

I didn't think I could run those big speakers at the same time, but it was worth posing the question before I attempted it. I have some RSL Magnificent (bookshelf) speakers that might be happier on this receiver. :D

I also have the R-113. Great receiver for 35 watts a channel. Listening to the luxman makes me wonder if It really is only that but more. The R113 doesnt come with a remote. No IR sensor. Only the R-115-117 have remotes. I love my little LUX

The R-113 does not have a jumpered pre-out to main-in like many receivers/integrateds do, but only a pre-out, that can drive a power amplifier. One way to use it as a power amp would be to use the CD input, enable the CD Direct function and turn the VC all the way up, but it's not something I would do.
az

<< One way to use it as a power amp would be to use the CD input, enable the CD Direct function and turn the VC all the way up, but it's not something I would do.az The R-113 does not have a jumpered pre-out to main-in like many receivers/integrateds do, but only a pre-out, that can drive a power amplifier. One way to use it as a power amp would be to use the CD input, enable the CD Direct function and turn the VC all the way up, but it's not something I would do.
az
>>

Uh, no. Why on Earth would you turn the volume all the way up on ANY receiver? You keep the volume where to had it before and insert your preamp or CD (or whatever) into the CD Direct input. That's what I do with my Adcom preamp. Sounds splendid.

Just watching this thread... have a R-113 and DZ-111 sitting on my desk at work playing through some Canton Plus S.

Yeah, that's massive overkill for basically glorified computer speakers, but hey, that's what we do here right?

(maybe some day I'll find another small powered sub to hide under my desk. I do have a Boston PV-600, looking for a cheap replacement plate amp for that...)

That was the best entry level receiver in it's day as far as I was concerned. Toroidal transformer, goodly number of inputs, low impedance capable any those pre outs. I sold tons of them and it smoked the equivalent Yamaha, it's next closest competitor where I worked. Regular retail was $399 CDN but would go on sale for $199 when opportunity buys were made. I sold so many of them, I won a few Luxman sales contests which included once a trip to the Bahamas and another, an R-117.

I would sell to people what they asked for but if they were open to suggestion, I always recommended an R-113 if a 35 watter would fill the bill.

My son bought one at a yard sale. It said "left channel out". A little Deoxit fixed it. Now listening to John Williams Greatest Hits through it.

^ The R-115 is a great receiver that flies under the radar.
Absolutely! I bought mine from a collector who was clearing out his equipment. It's in like-new condition cosmetically and needs only for me to clean the volume control to be in comparable functional condition. I'll get around to it, at some point, when I can manage to stop listening to it!

Have a Lux R-113 bought in 1989 or so. Always loved it for what it was. Recently, it’s just been powering a Sonos Connect. The other day, sound quit - nothing through either speaker A or B. Tried diff speakers. Nothing. I also note that the cd selector seems to stay on even if i press other inputs. I’ve been piping sonos through the cd input for years. Sometimes the red light stays on; sometimes it flashes even as another input is lit. Most importantly, it Seems to be getting staticy when it is left on for a while. I fear catastrophic failure and before I part with it or donate to a loving home that can fix it, I wanted to check here for any advice. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom