Shure M7D?

JohnVF

Lunatic Member
I picked up a Bogen/Lenco L-70 (thanks Steelman) that had a Shure M7d on it, probably dating back to when the turntable was close to new. Anybody use one of these? Stylus looks to be very well worn, and I see I can get a new one still for about $20 but before I do that (probably will anyway), is there anything special about what this cartridge does?

In the meantime, my DL-103 went on the Lenco and despite the well hardened, noisy as hell idler wheel it shows much promise and the arm is fantastic. I have another L-70 with a bad arm and never got to hear it in it's prime.

I have an M3D along with a V-15 TYP III LM and a V-15 IV in the needy cart box. What's the deal with the M-3D?

I've been meaning to find out but the M3D and M7D cartridges have gotten too expensive on ebay. I guess it's considered a retro early stereo classic.

The stylus looks to be pretty cheap so I may as well just try it out I suppose. With the 103 on this Lenco, that leaves my Empire without a cart. Hmmm....

I have an M3D along with a V-15 TYP III LM and a V-15 IV in the needy cart box. What's the deal with the M-3D?

What little I could unearth suggested it was very similar to the M-7d. But my usual google-skills (I even had a work-sponsored class AT Google HQ here in town yesterday) are failing to unearth a whole lot, which is why I am turning to the experts here. Part of this is driven by my recent discovery of how good a V-15 vmr is, in comparison to some pretty good competition, and got me thinking that Shure might just know a thing or two (or 15 or 7D).

If it's got the original Empire arm it should be a good match.

It does, and there's another complete 208/298 in the works here. The DL-103 works great on the Empire arm, too, but I'd love a MM that sounded decent on one of them, and most of my candidates here are pretty high-compliant. Actually, I have an old Signet HiTec that would probably work but it needs a stylus, too.

What's the deal with the M-3D?

Uhhhh nuthin', I didn't say nuthin. They're old and crudgy and nobody wants 'em. :yes:

Whatever you do don't type Shure M3D into an ebay completed auction search. :no:

Supposedly the M3D is the hand made super special version, the M7D is the budget non hand made but identical version.

I believe that the M3D was the first stereo cartridge that Shure ever made. The M7D is the second.

I have owned both and even though the M3D seems to bring more money on ebay, the M7D is the better sounding cart, in my opinion anyway.

Buy the N21 stylus--that is the light-tracking stylus--and I bet you will really enjoy the M7D. It's a nice warm, bass-heavy, rock-n-roll sounding cart that's great for parties and times when you want to play the music loud and punchy.

The DL-103 works great on the Empire arm, too, but I'd love a MM that sounded decent on one of them.

I'd imagine that both of those cartridges have reasonably similar characteristics with regards to arm effective mass even though some folks say the 103 sounds good on a light arm. Both were designed for the rather massive arms of the early 60s.

I've got one of those M3D's in the carts-that-need-stylii box, tested working...

Worth getting a stylus for?

I'd imagine that both of those cartridges have reasonably similar characteristics with regards to arm effective mass even though some folks say the 103 sounds good on a light arm. Both were designed for the rather massive arms of the early 60s.

I've had the 103 on lighter arms and never liked it. It sounded ok but all that was truly special about it was not there anymore. On the stock Empire (and Lenco) tracking at over 2 grams it takes on a life of it's own. I just need to get a new idler for the Lenco as I can hear it across the room without the stereo even being on. My other one (with bad arm bearings) has a healthy wheel..I'll probably make a switch this weekend.

If you buy the new stylus, you'll keep the cartridge. The M3 and M7 are good performers.
They sound a lot like the M44 which is the cart that all the DJ guys like: Good tight bass and thumping loud!!

They sound a lot like the M44 which is the cart that all the DJ guys like: Good tight bass and thumping loud!!

I use an original M44 and really enjoy it with early stereo records. Maybe I should spin something louder and more obnoxious with it as well.

Hey Scuzzer!
I have an M44 in my stable for just the same use: It really IS a fun sounding cart! Those old Shures really are hard to beat.

I was lucky to get my M3D, along with a Garrard Type A, a few years ago at a local pawn/resale shop for about $25. I replaced the worn original stylus with a Jico N3D stylus and track it at 3 grams. The Type A/M3D is great combo for playing older vinyl from the 50's-60's and the M3D delivers alot of bass presence. Still amazed at what some have brought recently!

The M3D and M7D are basically the same cartridge with different bodies. The N21 stylus provides the best sound for both cartridges, in my humble opinion. Like the Denon 103, the M3D and M7D love high effective mass arms. I track the M7D at 2.6 grams with excellent results.

DSC02959copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom