How many of you have a Nakamichi CD player?

Do you own a Nakamichi CD player?

• Total voters
I know how to fix your problem with the drawer on your cd Player. Email me and I'll send you some pics. of the culprit… and show you how you can easily fix it in less than 5 seconds…. I have the same cd player..

I own a Nakamichi player 2 , I will be looking to buy another nakimichi soon to have a back up player if mine fails. I have had a lot of players over the years and have to say that IMHO the player I have now sounds best to my ears. My question is do the Nakimichi players 2 , 3 , 4 sound pretty much the same ? ( Warm , smooth )

I really like the first series MB decks and have been using a CD Player 1 as my main unit. The CD Player 2 and 3 are exactly the same as the MB-2 and 3 internally. The question is, do you like the funky grey look of the earlier decks, or the smooth black MB series. For those of you with the CD or MB 2 and 3, replace the output cap. It's a 10 microF 25V Nichicon Muse and the Elna Silmic II 50V or the Nichicon KZ 100V can make a world of difference. I've had about four of the 2 model and two of the 3 (only one 4). First two things, replace the belt for the drawer and then the cap.

I own a Nakamichi player 2 , I will be looking to buy another nakimichi soon to have a back up player if mine fails. I have had a lot of players over the years and have to say that IMHO the player I have now sounds best to my ears. My question is do the Nakimichi players 2 , 3 , 4 sound pretty much the same ? ( Warm , smooth )
If you like the sound of the 2, you might want to stick with another CD 2 or MB-2. All of the decks use a dual 18 bit DAC (BB PCM 1700P in the 2 and 3, AD 1864 in the 4), the 2 has one per channel for the E.L. 20 bit circuit. The output filter in all three is a third order Bessel, but the 2's topology is a G.I.C. type. While the difference is small, they do add up. Remember that you're used to the sound of the 2 and any change will be noticeable. Since "warm and smooth", was something you liked about the 2, the 3 or 4 may seem a bit less refined.

hate to resurect an old thread but

Maybe you Nak CDP owners can help. Bought a used Nak Player 3 that had draw problems because a poster assured me that belts were the only problem with these players. Well replacing all three belts cured the draw problems, but the CD refuses to spin. Checked the motor with 3v and it spins up fine. Checked the reed switch on the motor board and that is fine. Laser drive motor on same board works. Put the cover back on in case there was an optic switch to no avail. Have the service diagram, but I have run out of talent. Help please. :music: jim

As it happens... I have an OMS-7 (which still works, or at least it did, last time I tried it) as well as the 5 disc changer that cosmetically goes with (e.g.) the Cassette Deck 2 and the Receiver 3. The drawer mechanism on the latter is, predictably, balky.

Both of these were dump finds, FWIW.

Have one now. OMS-2A. Thrift store. Lens needed a good cleaning. Works just fine :thmbsp:

Last edited:
I just picked up a CDP 2 from the thrift in excellent condition minus the remote.

Last edited:
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still alive. I just picked up an absolute mint MB-1s with remote for $50 locally. I was shocked at how good it sounds, I just thought, "Well, that's another neat piece of Nak gear for occasional use, that has a small enough footprint and no huge tray like my Denon changer, but it sounds much better than the Denon. And it does the little "shake in and out before load" motion, which I thought was a potential problem, glad I ran into this thread! Works perfect, though the display seems a little dim, not sure if that's how bright it is supposed to be or not. Anyone?

Nak cd3

I picked up my CD3 on the bay for $15.50 and it plays through my NAK AV-10 to Mirage M-5's beautifully! I consider it a steal!

More proof that old threads never die...

Reading through it, I noticed I didn't mention which models I had. I'm keeping a ZX-9 in my main system, and have put a ZX-7 and an RX-202E in storage. I'm either selling or keeping (haven't decided yet) a few others (700,1000), probably selling them, along with almost all my other cassette decks. I'll get rid of the 202 if/when I run across a 505. :D

The ZX-9 is definitely the long-term "keeper" in the bunch.

I'm still hoping to one day find the "Dragon" CD/DAC combo... but they are truly rare, and even if I find one, it might be outside of any reasonable budget :)dunno:)!

Going to be recapping my CD Player 4 this weekend.

sir.byrd: forgive me for dredging up this 2yr old thread, but i have a CDP 3 that is giving me trouble and i'm guessing it is an issue with cap(s). i THOUGHT one of my advents was going bad on me, as i was hearing some random harshness ('crackling') coming out of the tweet in the right channel. out of curiosity, i swapped the left/right channels on the CDP 3 output cable an the problem moved to the other channel. hence, it is NOT the advent. hooked up an old faithful marantz player in place of the NAK and the problem disappeared. this NAK is a great piece of gear and has been taken care of by previous owners. i guess what i'm asking (finally) is are there certain 'culprit' caps in these that i should be looking at? i haven't even opened it up yet. still trying to work out a strategy. thanks in advance to you and/or anyone else that can offer some insight as to a solution...

Well, if it is only one channel, it's probably not the power supply. I never recapped my CD-4, so I don't know if there are any trouble areas.

Back
Top Bottom