Pioneer SX-424

screenersam

aka Blind Sugar McGee
saved a Pioneer SX-424 from the recycle demon. anyone wi a history on these?
requires special speaker plug; do not like!

Attachments

• 102110 136.jpg
    102110 136.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 410
  • 102110 138.jpg
    102110 138.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 450
Lifted from another website:

The SX-424 was introduced around 1972 and manu- factured through 1973 but these dates are not certain because Pioneer's own literature doesn't even list this model, which was probably just an oversight. It was Pioneer's most affordable receiver, listing for around $200. It's rated 15w per channel was deceptive having adequate power for driving practically any speakers. It had separate fuses for left and right channels and was wired for four channel sound; you could run four speakers simultaneously.

I have the same one and I really hate the speaker plugs on the back! It is rated 12W per channel! Low class receiver but sounds good and loud!

I hope you enjoy it! Here is a pic!

e9ua7o.jpg

Look at the pic above... Is that not a face you could love? This is a sleeper, a nice, solid low-power winner.

Look at the pic above... Is that not a face you could love? This is a sleeper, a nice, solid low-power winner.

Yep, I own the one-step above 525, and it's a low-watt charmer, good sound, some pretty good volume with efficent speakers, a nice tuner, etc. Good looking unit to, nice proportions:yes:

And yeah, the infamous speaker plugs...

I've owned a SX-434 since the late 1970's and it was always a decent performer. Don't know what the difference is between it and the 424 - it does have standard speaker binding posts (thankfully).

It's easy to DIY speaker plugs for those: Just take a regular US-style electrical plug, and remove the flat metal prong parts. They should fit right into the slots, although you may need to do a little filing (depending on the plug you started with). You can take some molding compound that sets up hard (epoxy will do, too) to fix them in the correct right-angle positions vis-a-vis each other, and prevent accidental shorting.

My first piece of gear in 1974, paid $129 for it at a Radio Shack. 12 wpc, and a pretty decent tuner and phono section for the money. Sounded pretty good driving a pair of Altec 891v's. And yes, the plugs were a pain in the ass, but once connected didn't give me any problems. My unit is still in use at my friend's cabin in Pennsylvania. :music:

?????????

Yep, I own the one-step above 525, and it's a low-watt charmer, good sound, some pretty good volume with efficent speakers, a nice tuner, etc. Good looking unit to, nice proportions:yes:

And yeah, the infamous speaker plugs...

One step above would be the SX-434?...Yes/No??????????:scratch2:

Differences:

I've owned a SX-434 since the late 1970's and it was always a decent performer. Don't know what the difference is between it and the 424 - it does have standard speaker binding posts (thankfully).

SX-424 did not have a left/right balance knob...SX-434 did.Push ins were black on 424 and silver on 434.Both had same power 12 watts per channel.Both models had on front right Panel a mike input and control yet some models of each didn't,don't know why?SX-434 had regular speaker connectors as opposed to the 424.......:):thmbsp:

One step above would be the SX-434?...Yes/No??????????:scratch2:

Nope. Next generation of the model roll. The step up in both rolls of the model line was the SX-525/535. The SX-4x4 was the bottom of the line brought into the US back then.

There were other lower-end receivers in the Pioneer product line in the US but they were branded Craig by Pioneer and included a line up of 8-track/cassette players for auto use plus compact stereo/All-in-One stereo systems favored by college students in small dorm rooms.

Cheers,

David

The only differences I 've seen on the 434 vs 424 were

1.) Screw downs for 434, funky plugs for the 424.
2.) BALANCE Control 434, Dual Volume control 424
3.) Different knobs.
4.) Internal differences on schematic.

Larry

Ty:

Nope. Next generation of the model roll. The step up in both rolls of the model line was the SX-525/535. The SX-4x4 was the bottom of the line brought into the US back then.

There were other lower-end receivers in the Pioneer product line in the US but they were branded Craig by Pioneer and included a line up of 8-track/cassette players for auto use plus compact stereo/All-in-One stereo systems favored by college students in small dorm rooms.

Cheers,

David

Thanks I needed that!..lol...no really I should have seen that but just didn't,thanks for reminding me...:):thmbsp:

The only differences I 've seen on the 434 vs 424 were

1.) Screw downs for 434, funky plugs for the 424.
2.) BALANCE Control 434, Dual Volume control 424
3.) Different knobs.
4.) Internal differences on schematic.

Larry

Larry, those are the features. There were other reasons for product lines to roll back then: increased prices.

Recall that there was the first big oil embargo that was happening about the same time. US consumers got their first shock of rising gas prices and the cost of shipping anything went through the roof. Importers quickly started rolling the product lines as one way to keep their margins up.

It is amazing that anyone bought stereo gear back then!

Cheers,

David

But when the Military ships it home for you from the Exch, or during a PCS there is a lot you can move. I had a 2,000# limit for a PCS move. And I was single!

But when the Military ships it home for you from the Exch, or during a PCS there is a lot you can move. I had a 2,000# limit for a PCS move. And I was single!

Well, that explains why I saw a lot of big overseas receivers and speakers coming into my shop back in the 70s. I always wondered how those bachelors could afford to ship all their gear home.

Cheers,

David

Back
Top Bottom