Fisher Consoles 1959-1965

Thanks for posting those photos, ksks. Your 990A-PM is/was a 1962 Executive VII Provincial in Mahogany (PM) which IS supposed to have an 800-B:

http://members.cox.net/fisherconsoles/ExecutiveVII.html

A very appropriate console for this time of year - especially the very rare Winged Death's-Head model shown below:

l
Halloween-Console.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those photos, ksks. Your 990A-PM is/was a 1962 Executive VII Provincial in Mahogany (PM) which IS supposed to have an 800-B:

http://members.cox.net/fisherconsoles/ExecutiveVII.html

A very appropriate console for this time of year - especially the very rare Winged Death's-Head model shown below:

Dang, wrong again... could swear I seen 800C... Still preferr the looks of the 'B'..

Winged Death's-Head ? :yikes:

Last edited:
The Fisher Custom Philharmonic Model P292

Hello - just curious if anyone has any info on this model. There is one for sale locally. Looks SS to me. Thanks!
Tiga

The P292 was a 1967 Custom Philharmonic and, yes, it was solid state. The previous year's Philharmonic was the last of The Fisher's tube consoles. So close.

Fisher Ambassador V A-68

Hello,

I have recently been gifted a Fisher Ambassador V model A-68.
I'm looking for schematics of the 680-T and 680-A.

Thanks in advance for your help.

FISHER CONSOLE Tuners and Amplifiers schematics are some of the hardest to get hold of. If you can find them they will cost about 20-25 for the set (manuals)for both. But you might get lucky and someone here has a set of schematics.

Fisherdoc has them. Expect to spend about $20.

Larry

680-A & T docu

FISHER CONSOLE Tuners and Amplifiers schematics are some of the hardest to get hold of. If you can find them they will cost about 20-25 for the set (manuals)for both. But you might get lucky and someone here has a set of schematics.

Fisherdoc has them. Expect to spend about $20.

Larry

Fisherdoc ? Is that a web site, a user on the form?

I found the web site today.

Thanks!

Last edited:
1964 Living Theatre III (Model TV-109)

Welcome to the forum. I think Larry is correct on all accounts. I have an owner's manual for a '64 Philharmonic IV which was based on the 290-T chassis. It shows the 4 RCA plate mounted on the back of the cabinet but not the lone RCA or the switch. The single RCA, as Larry said, has to be the TV input. Not so sure about the switch. Perhaps it toggles between the mono TV audio and the stereo AUX input. It should be easy to figure it out.

290-T.jpg

FisherPhilharmonicP-29Chassis.jpg

Your chassis was apparently from a 1964 Living Theatre III. I am guessing you only have the chassis and not the whole console. The '64 Living Theatre III was housed in slightly modified Diplomat II cabinets (long & low) and used the same chassis as the Diplomat II and the Philharmonic IV: the 290-T. My first suspicion as to the identity of the 3 wire plug was the optional wireless remote that was available on this model. But I think Larry is probably correct that it is the power cable for the record changer. The remote receiver may have been integrated into the TV chassis. The sales literature doesn't specifically state whether the remote operates the power and volume for the whole console or just the TV. You would think that Fisher would have done their TV console right but I know Avery Fisher disliked TV. His view was that the TV ought to be relegated to the bedroom whereas the hi-fi belonged in the living room.

64LivingTheatreIII.jpg

Wow did Fisher build there own TV's or did they have another company build them for there living theater consoles?When was the last year that Fisher made a console?Was there a Fisher console made after Emmerson or Sanyo?How many years did Emmerson own Fisher before they sold it to Sanyo?What year did Avery sell the Fisher company?Did the dealerships still exsit after Avery sold the company?Sorry for all these questions,but these are things I always wondred about! I can not comment about the quality after Emmerson took over as I do not think I ever saw a Fisher made by Emmerson except maybe on the internet?Brian

I'm pretty sure Fisher built their own TV chassis. Starting way back in the late 40s Fisher began selling television sets. They advertised "flat-screen" and even projection TVs. But throughout the 50s until the advent of their "Living Theatre" series of consoles in 1961 they concentrated on hi-fi. For the most part I believe Fisher viewed TV as the enemy.

I'm not sure when the last console with the Fisher name on it was produced. The last real "The Fisher" consoles probably date from around 1972. The "4" series (President 4, Executive 4, etc.) from '72 are very intriguing from a price prospective ($3500 for the President 4) and the fact of their being quadraphonic consoles.

Your question about when Sanyo took over from Emerson has a complicated answer. It appears to have happened over a 4-year period from 1973 to 1977. The early 70s was a turbulent period in the US electonics industry with numerous mergers and much shifting of production overseas with the consequent closure of US plants. It's difficult to untangle the complicated web of ownership with regard to the various corporate entities involved.

Emerson itself was a subsidiary of National Union Electric Co. when it acquired Fisher in 1969. National Union also owned DuMont and who knows who else. In 1970 National Union subcontracted the home entertainment portions of its Emerson (which should have included Fisher) and DuMont divisions to Admiral Corp. which was one of the corporate leaders in shifting production overseas. Fisher probably maintained some production facilities here in the US, like the Milroy, Pa. speaker plant, but I suspect the majority of their production was shifted overseas to take advantage of lower labor costs.

After selling his company, Avery Fisher remained active in its affairs well into the 1980s. He was paid in Emerson stock which provided a significant financial incentive for him to continue to promote the company. Plus there was his name and reputation to protect.

Originally Fisher's sales were primarily out of his Manhattan "Fisher Radio Salon" and via mail order. He also experimented with selling through some of the more upscale department stores like B. Altman's in New York and Woodward & Lowthrup here in Washington, DC. Eventually Fisher offered "dealerships" (that might not be the correct term) to select independent music stores throughout the country. It would be interesting to try to compile a complete listing. They would often stamp their name and address on Fisher sales literature. Ultimately Fisher discontinued his in-house showroom in Manhattan sometime in the 60s, I think. Fisher products continued to be offered through select music stores up to the Sanyo period. At that point they pulled out of most of the up-scale music stores (many of which, like Washington, DC's Campbell Music Stores - were having problems staying afloat) and sought wider distribution through chains and department stores.

I have done some investigation of what would have been my local Fisher dealership - Campbell Music. Their history and that of their owner, Earl Campbell, closely parallels Fisher's own history. They both started at about the same time - just prior to WWII - and they both saw the writing on the wall and cashed out in the mid-to-late 60s. Both had some music background and both were patrons of the arts. They were undoubtedly acquainted and I wouldn't be surprised if they were friends.

Thank you so very much and I really mean that as I have been wantting to learn about Avery Fisher and his company for quite some time!Was there ever a book written about Avery Fisher and his company?Would my Fisher 450 T Receiver which according to the Fisher warranty to owner card that was filled out it reads that it was purchased on 4/20/73,and the serial number is 23660F.My receiver seems to look older than 1973 so could it have been NOS from our local Fisher dealer which was House of TV and Radio in Wausau Wisconsin.The owners name was Andy Folgert.He was the only place I could find that sold Fisher in our area,although there could have been others?I knew the man fairly well and he used to have a silk or cloth like sign that read
The Fisher Showroom!The sign had fringes all along the bottom and they were either yellow or gold in color!When I asked him about it he said he sold Fishers many years ago and just never took the sign down! That man saved everything,and I do mean everything!When he passed away his wife trusted no one so she had everything that did not have someones name on it hauled away in huge dumpsters for the landfill!She said I doubt I would get the true market value for this stuff so no one is going to get anything that does not have there name on it!It truely was sad as I would have loved to have hung that sign above my Fisher Console!I also would haved liked to have gotten all my tubes back,but since it did not have my name on them I figured I was screwed!That guy had the biggest tube collection I have ever seen!He had no less then 10 to 15 thousand tubes in his shop! I was lucky enough to get from one of the dumpsters a sign for a finacial loan from a local bank!He told me back in the 50's and 60's most people who purchased an exspensive TV or Stereo had to use the payment plain in order to be able to own one and it was done through a local bank!It now sits on the console in memory of him!Brian

Brian, that 'Fisher Showroom' sign sounds so cool! I wonder if there are any more out there. It's a shame all that stuff from the House of TV and Radio was lost. It has crossed my mind to try to locate the old Fisher dealerships around the country to see if any have held on to any Fisher related items. By the way, since you haven't posted any photos of your Philharmonic yet - this "sticky" would be an excellent place to do so when you get around to it.

There are a few good magazine articles from back in the day, but unfortunately, I don't believe anyone has written a book on Fisher yet. I'm not certain that there is really enough material out there on the man and his company to make a proper book. The Fisher Radio Corp. was owned outright by Fisher. Since he didn't have stockholders he wasn't required to make many disclosures about the operations of his company. I know of a few Fisher fans around the world who have bits and pieces of the story but it would be a major undertaking to try to piece it all together. I try to do what I can.

The 450-T dates back to at least 1970. I have a catalog from that year that lists it. A very nice looking receiver, by the way. Does yours still have its RK-40 wired remote for the Autoscan feature?

No I do not have the remote and since I do not do Ebay my chances are slim on finding one! I gladly would pay up to $50.00 maybe even more for one that looked almost new and worked like it should! As for pictures I really would love to post some more then anything,but first I need to learn how to take the pictures from any of my
digital cameras and learn how to transfer them to my computer.I do have the USB cable and the software disc for one of my kodaks so maybe I should install the disc and give it a try!Thank you for all your help so far! Brian

Brian, if you want one you simply have to watch eBay. I got two there, one for the opening bid of $1.99. You could spend the rest of your life looking at local yard and estate sales and never find one.

eBay covers the world.

Fisher President II, Transition to Stereo 1956

Hi,

I have information and all the components for a 1956 Fisher President II. I inherited it from my uncle. As for price, my mother told me she remembered it costing her brother around $3,000. in 1956. He knew Avery Fisher, was a big Opera fan, and taped live operas, a few of which I have.

It was exactly at the transition to Stereo. Tape was stereo in 1956. Records were stereo in 1958. FM stereo was via a few experimental broadcast methods in 1956.

It had a pair of fisher 30 watt mono blocks, Mullard EL37s. I use EL-34s now, enough power for me. I will try some 6L6s soon. I am still listening to them every day, they sound awesome. I replaced some capacitors recently.

The speakers were 4 way, all electrovoice drivers, 16 ohms.
15" woofer (15B or 15W, I forget. Woofer weighs 37lbs, 7" thick magnet, chrome spider)
compound diffraction horn, (actually 2 coaxial mountet horns, 1 driver)
horn tweeter, brilliance and presence crossover controls on the back.
I had custom rosewood cabinets made, and listen to them every day. Had the woofers re-coned in NYC years ago, and had electrovoice rebuild a burnt tweeter when they were still in business, as well as a spare pair in case.

The original Viking 75 tape deck was 1/4 " tape, 2 track stereo. It had a switch for either in-line or staggered stereo tapes, and two playback heads. I listened to the 2 track stereo tapes I also inherited and bought at garage sales way back. I cannot describe how great a wide 2 track tape sounds. I need a hard to find drive belt (fabric). If there is anyone who can help me get a belt for it, that would be stupendous.
The Garard changer was mono originally, but Fisher technicians came to my uncles house and added a pair of phono preamps, a new stereo cartridge, and a deck mounted switch for mono or stereo.

Separate Fisher tuners for fm and am, mounted either side of the center control panel. Live binaural stereo broadcasts were being done then. Select FM, tune in WCBS fm for left side of the stage, Select AM, tune in WCBS am for the live right side of the stage. Select Stereo, listen to live stereo. System did not last long.

All the various equalization curves for tape and records were individually selectable in the control panel.

I have all the original manuals for the components, cut sheets of the electrovoice drivers, and the operating instructions from Fisher. (individually typed and assembled in a 3 punch binder).

Let me know if you want any more info.

Elliott

Hi Elliott, and welcome to AK!

You system sounds stupendous! Speaking for all of us, I'm sure we'd love to see some pictures!:yes: I don't know if you have any photos of the system in its original cabinet from when your uncle still owned it, but those would be awesome as well.

I find the comments about service quality in the past quite amazing. The Fisher techs came to your uncle's house! Wow!

Keep your fingers crossed, somebody might have info on the belt for your tape deck. In fact, I would suggest that you make a short post in the Tape Forum asking if anybody knows of any sources for parts for that deck.

And we're glad you're here!:thmbsp:

Elliot! I don't know how I missed your post until now. I think I saw Fisherdude's response to your post and mistook it for an earlier post. I would love to know more about your Uncle's President. He obviously lived in the New York City area and undoubtedly purchased his President at Fisher's Radio Salon. Do you have his receipt? In 1956 I would expect it would have been at the original 47th St. location in Hotel Marguery. He probably dealt directly with Mr. Fisher.

It wasn't your average opera fan who had the means and the wherewithal to seek out Fisher's groundbreaking new President. Would you mind divulging your Uncle's name? If we can document that he purchased his President in 1956 it would mean that Fisher was undoubtedly the first to put out a stereo console. AK member Jonboy55's recent find of a 1957 Fisher console catalog with the stereo President and Executive consoles confirmed that Fisher was at least among the very first. But not even Ampex had one out as early as 1956.

Hi all, I just checked out the 3 console sets out that have been sitting outside in the garage for years and years and it turns out one of them is a Fisher, fully intact. I'm going to bring it inside the house today and check it out. I found this forum after looking for info on the set. It looks like a 64 Electra, but I haven't seen an identifying serial # or plate anywhere. I'll post pics soon.

One of the other sets looks like a Sears Silvertone solid state, and the other looks like garbage but I can't remember the name.

Anyway I'm excited to bring it inside and start bringing it back to life.

Back
Top Bottom