Pioneer SA-8500II repair and restoration...

Would this work?

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=3386X-101LF-ND

It's the only side adjust in stock with the pin arraignment like the other.

That's kind of dangerous, the x has the reverse arrangement of the H relative to the adjustment face.

x= 321, h= 123

thus cw and ccw are reversed, which is sort of why I say when dialing the idle current to minimum, to go to zero ohms indicated by a meter.

If some noob gets it after you and just follows the directions in the manual it's gonna hurt him.

If some noob gets it after you and just follows the directions in the manual it's gonna hurt him.

You're right, oh well, means I take the loss. Maybe it'll teach me to be more careful the next time!

Last edited:
I tested the resistor just to see if it is bad and it checked fine, I ran it all the way through while keeping an eye on the resistance and I did not see any intermittent spots. Full CC is 0.01 ohms and full clockwise 108.9 ohms.

Well, the order of aluminum has been delayed. :sigh: So, this will have to go on the back burner until I can get it. I cannot say how long the delay will be, as I don't know right now, but I will post once I get it in my hands.

Well, the order of aluminum has been delayed. :sigh: So, this will have to go on the back burner until I can get it. I cannot say how long the delay will be, as I don't know right now, but I will post once I get it in my hands.

who are you using? I was just about to post an order myself...

I'm using a local shop near me. However, there is a possibility that another shop that's farther away may have what I need. I'm going tomorrow to see, so I will let you know if they have it or not.

I use speedy metals off of ebay. They are close to me across the Illinois\Wisconsin border, and I get enough at a time to make the shipping cost worthwhile.

They MAY cut to length, and I am going to check with them - the detraction is that the sx-1980, sx-3900(RM-60) and sa-9500 ("batwing") hold down bars are three different lengths and it's impossible to guess how many I'll go through of each.

Yeah, that would be difficult to guess. The pieces I was thinking of were 1 1/2" wide, 12" long and 1/4" thick per your recommendation:
If so, recent experience with 1/4 thick aluminum indicates it is the better choice. 1/8 inch flexes under tension.
and I'm getting two of them, that way I can cut them down to exact width and length, plus have extra if another repair like this one comes along.

What size would you recommend?

I buy 1/4" thick, 1/2" wide and 48" long...

shipping something 48 inches long seems to cost more than the metal.

Sorry for not answering this sooner, I finally got my first job repairing an amp for someone else outside the family, so my time has been limited, but it is repaired and back to it's very happy owner, so I can now get back to this baby. I did not find the aluminum, so if you have not ordered yet, I can use some.

Is this what you use? http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4-x-1-2-6061-Aluminum-Flat-Bar-48-Long-/150296416488?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item22fe5d50e8

That's it, and that's the seller.

edit - ordering it? Too late by a week or more... anyways, I'd still have to get it to you, AND unless you wanted me to cut it, it's a 4 foot tube, with all the exorbitant shipping costs... and I don't want to become a metal parts supplier, setup for cutting and drilling eats a good portion of the day.

Last edited:
Understand, I will see what I can do about ordering some myself. Oh, I ordered the variable resistor from Mouser, as the caps I needed to get for my dad's receiver and my SA-9500II justified the shipping costs, so I should have it by the end of the week.

Oh no, I warped there, picked the stuff up and warped back. :D :D

But seriously, it was very fast shipping. I'm definitely pleased with them and how they handle stuff down there.

Oh no, I warped there, picked the stuff up and warped back. :D :D

But seriously, it was very fast shipping. I'm definitely pleased with them and how they handle stuff down there.

When did the order close, ship and what type of shipping?

It was shipped Priority Mail. Order closed the 3rd and shipped the 4th. According to the delivery conformation, it was through the Fort Worth sorting plant and on it's way here by the evening of the same day.

Last edited:
I think the next time I have a mouser order I am going to split it, have half go UPS ground and the other half go USPS priority, and see how it works out.

Used to be that both were neck and neck for me, thus the shift to UPS...

Back
Top Bottom