Knight 12" 3 way speakers

decaturron

At a resale shop today I bought 2 speakers they were about 28" tall by 18" wide and about the same deep. I took the backs off of them and one held a Knight kn-612c and the other held a white speaker cast and says made in england. It is totally different than the 612hc but still a 3 way. The white one has a cylinder attatched to it, I think its a crossover. Any ideas about the quality of these? Thanks.

Can you post some pics? The Knight is probably nice, I dunno but if that white one is what I think it might be.....

Most likely Goodmans OEM in the latter case. I'll have to look up the KN-612; could be EV, Goodmans (or other OEM).

EDIT: From 1968, here's a KN-612HC. I think it's generally thought that EV made these (even though it's not identical to any EV driver).
Sorry for the quick and dirty scan!

Attachments

• kn612HC.jpg
    kn612HC.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
does either of these resemble your other driver?
These are from the 1960 catalog (and, I presume, were made by Goodmans). Another quick-crappy scan...

Attachments

• kn812815.jpg
    kn812815.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 137
Hi the 815a the crossover or whatever it is looks a lot like the one on my off-white speaker. I don't know if I said it but it is cast and says made in england. I have tried to upload pictures before but I can't seem to get it to work on this website. It weighs 21.5 pounds.

knight 3 way 12" speaker

Here are a few pictures of the white mystery speaker if they got uploaded. Thanks.

Attachments

• knight1001.jpg
    knight1001.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 134
  • knight1005.jpg
    knight1005.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 119
  • knight1004.jpg
    knight1004.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 85
Definitely a Goodmans (OK, I think it's definitely a Goodmans!). I think there were Lafayette-branded coaxes a lot like that.

Like these guys (only even close to relevant scans I have handy...)

sk-21669.jpg

sk500.jpg

sk-21666.jpg

scan0007-1.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the knight kn-612HC 3-way speaker from the other cabinet. It makes one wonder why, 2 different drivers in the same enclosures. Any feedback is welcome.

Attachments

• knight2002.jpg
    knight2002.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 76
  • knight2003.jpg
    knight2003.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 59
  • knight2005.jpg
    knight2005.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 50
Thread resurrected!:D

I picked up a pair of these pretty recently, and I can verify that they are E-V. Nice quality build, huge alnico magnet, 2.5" edgewound voice coil on the woofer. The tweeter seems like it is a variant of E-V's T-35, but with a little different magnet structure and a hard paper diaphragm rather than phenolic. It also has a different horn, too. If the original goes bad it can be replaced with phenolic, but it is a PITA from hell. Ask how I know.:smoke:

I'm gonna put these in some cabs later and start a new thread with my listening impressions.

I was just reading a few old Radio Shack catalogs and saw that they sold Knight speakers in a kit form. Allied too, I believe. I bet the ones at the beginning of the thread sound great. Definitely a big alnico magnet on that white driver. I know RS sold Knight kits in '74 - Not sure how far back they were offered.

I've been playing the ones I have, and I have to say they're pretty dull. Now, I know what everybody is thinking: change the crossover caps. Trouble is, the crossover is between the magnet and the bell, which is also the basket that the surround is glued to. I would hate to have to recone the driver just to be able to change that cap.

R/S owned Allied's consumer electronics business very briefly (ca. '71-72); thus the R/S-Knight tie-in. The FTC (or whichever responsible Gov't body) considered this an illegal trust. The story's recorded at www.radioshackcatalogs.com

R/S owned Allied's consumer electronics business very briefly (ca. '71-72); thus the R/S-Knight tie-in. The FTC (or whichever responsible Gov't body) considered this an illegal trust. The story's recorded at www.radioshackcatalogs.com

Wow, didn't know about that. I've just spent so-much time staring at those catalogs. They sold a lot of cool stuff made by other companies. They sold Wharfedales for quite a while.

Back
Top Bottom