AK Fest - 2011

[Edit]
In response to some questions about why we haven't handed this off before, here's the situation:

Each Fest unavoidably requires that someone lay out circa $50,000-100,000 (depending on size) before any revenue shows up. This happens because the hotel and other vendors require a commitment to be paid, while the larger exhibitors use regular commercial credit, meaning they pay upon invoice, shortly before the event. If the exhibitors cancel, you still owe the vendors. Would anyone allow unpaid, untrained volunteer "Staff Officers" with no insurance, to play with that much of your personal money?

This show doesn't generate the kind of revenue it would take to hire a professional producer, so we've always been down to Dave, Nancy and Ernie. Until shortly after the 2010 Fest, no one knew Dave's health could be a barrier to 2011, and of course we've been hoping he'd improve soon enough to avoid a crisis. 2010 was a gruesome year, with each of the principals lucky to be alive after major visits to hospitals.

So, Dave's willing to give something new a try, and hire an assistant to take on most of the legwork, while Dave continues to make the decisions. We're hunting for that person now, but so far, we're getting more offers to pitch in than interest in being the key player. We love the idea of help at the Fest, but the whole thing can't be assembled by a loose committee.

Hope this helps. If anyone's interested in the job, PM or post here.

Thanks for providing some clarity, David. I don't think most people realize the time and financial commitments that are required for such an event. I have gathered from some comments from Grumpy about the effort required, but without that, I would have been completely ignorant. I mean, how hard is it to rent a couple of floors of rooms, right? ;)

I don't wish that I was unemployed again, but I do wish I had the capacity to take on the role.

Mod Note:

I deleted all of the posts regarding criticism of how the Fest has been run. Let's stick to the topic of trying to get a Fest for 2011. If anyone is interested in the job that's being offered, please post.

ak fest 2010

It was my 1st fest and I thought it was run perfectly. It was a very very nice location. The people were very kind. I seen shows run on a professional basis, not as good.:thmbsp: Hope the shows continue. Maybe we need to pay 1st for a ticket and then get a refund (80% refund) if no show. This is to ensure the money for the orginazer. And higher prices at the door. $10 more.

This always happens to me. When I find something good, it does not last long.
The show does not have to start in May, it can be late October or anytime in up to October late..

The hotel is holding the weeknd of April 30/May 1, as the later weekend didn't work.

Anyone wanna spend a lot of time with Grumpy?

Grump is #1

I am willing to come to spend alot of time with Grumpy.

We could have a mini-show. Everyone gets up on the podium and says what he is up to and doing in the audio hobby/field. Three beers my limit for Grumpy. For this we need one room. Dining room will do well for this.

I would not have a problem helping out but I'm out of work May 15th and that means that I have to get in as many hours as possible between now and then.

Anyone got a job for a Senior Database Developer?

Dave just had a death in the family, so he's dealing with funeral arrangements and grief. He'll be back next week and this topic will resume.

Very sorry to hear about Dave's situation.

As a relatively new member to AK, I Joined after the 2010 AK Fest, I would LOVE to go the AK Fest 2011. Hope it happens. Wish I could help, but as an underpaid, blue-collar nobody, my only help could be to spread the word via a couple forums I frequent and pay for a ticket or 2.

Mod Note:

I deleted all of the posts regarding criticism of how the Fest has been run. Let's stick to the topic of trying to get a Fest for 2011. If anyone is interested in the job that's being offered, please post.

I really hope I have a full time job by then. I ran much bigger shows for years. But I really need to work.

I praying for AK Fest 2011

If there is going to be a fest I want to bring my DH-200 all modded. Perfect matching differential transistors. 1% resistors in the differental amp area (14 resistors per channel). 39,000 uf caps per rail, 13 mohms. All caps upgraded on the driver boards. I want to see what others have to say about the sound.
This is not an expensive mod. Expensive would have toroid dual transformers and double the caps I am putting in. I am keeping it simple. And of course gold binding posts and gold rca inputs.

I have to document this at customs Canada so I can bring it back without paying any taxes....ouch. Sir, it is mine I never bought it in the USA. Sure, park over there and pay the fees you liar:tears:

If there is going to be a fest I want to bring my DH-200 all modded. Perfect matching differential transistors. 1% resistors in the differental amp area (14 resistors per channel). 39,000 uf caps per rail, 13 mohms. All caps upgraded on the driver boards. I want to see what others have to say about the sound.
This is not an expensive mod. Expensive would have toroid dual transformers and double the caps I am putting in. I am keeping it simple. And of course gold binding posts and gold rca inputs.

I have to document this at customs Canada so I can bring it back without paying any taxes....ouch. Sir, it is mine I never bought it in the USA. Sure, park over there and pay the fees you liar:tears:

I suggest you start a new thread to discuss your amp mods... this thread isn't an appropriate place to have that discussion.

Hope this happens . . . never been to any audio show / fest. The best equipment I've heard is what I own. So it would be fun to hear what's out there. If it's after April, I'll be there :yes:.

Hope this happens . . . never been to any audio show / fest. The best equipment I've heard is what I own. So it would be fun to hear what's out there. If it's after April, I'll be there :yes:.

Same goes for me. All of it.

I am willing to come to spend alot of time with Grumpy.

We could have a mini-show. Everyone gets up on the podium and says what he is up to and doing in the audio hobby/field. Three beers my limit for Grumpy. For this we need one room. Dining room will do well for this.

I'll even buy Grumpy a beer ---even Ernie. Oh What the hell, drinks for everyone!!

Back
Top Bottom