Do you have a demanding pet at home?

gearhound

Lunatic Member
As the owner of 2 dogs (Shelties) and 4 cats, I'm used to taking care of the needs, wants, and whims of my four-legged family members.
However, my 14 year-old, black cat (Miss Shadow) has decided that I'm her personal.....house boy.
When she wants something.....and she ALWAYS wants something.....she climb up on the back of the couch, and whack me on the side of my head.....repeatedly!?
Then, she'll run over to where I keep the cat treats, or the sink (she LOVES drinking running water), and meow LOUDLY until I come over and service her?
My wife says to ignore her.
But it's kind of hard to ignore a pet, that is doing a Rocky Balboa to the side of your head?
Maybe she's starting to get a little senile?
Maybe I'm starting to get a little senile too, to put up with her?
Still, when she is NOT mugging me, she's a pretty sweet-n'-intelligent cat.

Steve :D

As the owner of 2 dogs (Shelties) and 4 cats, I'm used to taking care of the needs, wants, and whims of my four-legged family members.
However, my 14 year-old, black cat (Miss Shadow) has decided that I'm her personal.....house boy.
When she wants something.....and she ALWAYS wants something.....she climb up on the back of the couch, and whack me on the side of my head.....repeatedly!?
Then, she'll run over to where I keep the cat treats, or the sink (she LOVES drinking running water), and meow LOUDLY until I come over and service her?
But it's kind of hard to ignore a pet, that is doing a Rocky Balboa to the side of your head?

Isn't "demanding" the standard operating procedure for a cat? (As in "cats don't have owners - they have staff".) My cat, although generally well behaved, knows when people are around and will ask repeatedly to be allowed onto the outer porch. Usually she wants back inside right after being let out. :D

I had a dog that would drink running water out of the bathtub spigot. This made preparing or taking a bath somewhat entertaining, because if you didn't watch carefully, said dog would come in and burn himself if you were drawing hot water.

Smart cat.

We have two dogs, three cats, and a parrot. They all seem to know how to ask for what they need.

Do girlfriends count? :D No, she will never see this post, my life might depend on it.

Back to the real subject...Yes I had a demanding pet. One you would probably never guess had the capability of being demanding...a Fish!

I had a 10" Oscar that would beat the heater against the glass until I gave him some food. It was loud, and I was afraid he would crack the aquarium. He did eventually break the heater, so I cut some foam rings and inserted them onto the new heater. Now hitting the heater produced little if any sound. Not to be foiled, Oscar now started to knock on the light fixture, which was louder than the heater hitting the aquarium glass. No problem, I weighted the top down. Not to be foiled, Oscar started to hit the siphon tubes until they became unseated. This caused me to have to re-prime the filter.

OK, Oscar won. I would never think of coming into the living room without feeding Oscar first. BTW...did you know Oscars are like little swimming dogs...to a point. They do have personality.

Last edited:
I've got two cats, two ferrets, and two fish tanks! An hour of my day is pet duty! One cat constantly wants in or out, the other cat pee's on everything.

LOL!!

Should have held a jar of Tarter Sauce next to the aquarium glass?
If he's as smart as you say, he'd probably get the message.

Steve

:lmao:

He WAS smart. My "reading spot" was right next to his tank. We had our share of staring contests. The hinged lid had nubs that broke off, so the lid rested (off centered) on the aquarium top. This fish took advantage of that 1" gap, and somehow managed to squirt water on me while I read. I would look over after feeling the water hit me. He would still be facing the surface with his mouth near the top of the water. No doubt ready to squirt again if he had to. As soon as he saw that he got my attention, he'd swim back to eye level as if to say "Yeah, I did that, now are you going to give me some food? "

Although no more demanding than any other cat I have known, my cat has the loudest, most demanding sounding meow that I have ever heard. When I am getting out of the car in front of my house, I can hear him in the neighbor's back yard, telling me to wait to let him in the house when I go in. He'll come trotting around the corner in a big hurry 'til he sees that I am waiting. Then he takes a break and plops down to lick himself for awhile.

Thanks Steve. I like stories about old pets an their habits. You gave me a smile.

Auggie stands gaurd from his Chaise lounge chair and makes me bring him afternoon tea.

Attachments

• dog chair.jpg
    dog chair.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 63
Here is the terrorist in my house. Hogs my bed (even though he has his own four poster), stands on the arm of my chair and leans on me. Gets between me and the computer. A hideous creature, but I love him completely. And his chihuahua sidekick. :yes:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Jan10 002.jpg
    Jan10 002.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Curious dog.jpg
    Curious dog.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 56
Yep.. two of them here..

Walk in a bathroom, and there's the cat on the sink wanting you to turn it on..

Time for dinner? then you're not going to forget, because the headbutts have commenced..

Sleeping a few minutes too late on the weekend? Then you'll find a kitty paw pawing at your face saying "WAKE UP!!!!"

And the bird.. OH WOW... .talk about screaming if you're out of the room for a hair too long.. or petting the cat instead of him... he'll talk to you until you go see him..

Miss Shadow gets quite VINDICTIVE, when she's is angry at you for one reason or another?
This is the evil creature that would.....pee into my toaster!!??

No wonder the bread tasted funny??

Steve

Yeah.,. the cat shit in our bedroom the day after I brought the bird home.. first time she's done that.... I know it was a message.. At least it wasn't on the bed as I knew a friend had happen any time his cat was pissed at him..

My cats are both very demanding, Smokey (and to a lesser degree, Bug) will start tearing up paper or plastic items if she doesn't get what she wants.

What do you think?

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2436.jpg

My box turtle "Yertl" goes on strike until fed the fatest freshest garden variety snails:yes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom