The 90's Playlist

Permanent Waves

Digital Man
I've been needing a place to post some of my 90's material as I listen to it that doesn't really fall into other genres/playlists (at least specifically so) so I finally decided to start this thread.

So all 90's music lovers post away and enjoy! :music:

I'm going to start with one of my favorite albums from the 90's:

Depeche Mode - Violator (1990)

violator_large.jpg

Last edited:
Great choices so far :thmbsp:

The album I am listening to right now from one of my favorite 90's bands:

Faith No More - King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime (1995)

Thanks! Tbh I don't have that much 90's stuff nor do I listen to it all that often, but I do like several grunge/alt groups a lot and needed a place to post them (the RnR thread focuses more on traditional/classic rock n' roll).

FNM...long known of them, never got into them. I'm putting them on my list!

Rush - Roll The Bones (1991)

rollthebones.jpg
rush_roll_the_bones.jpg

The album that started it all for me. :D Came out the in the Fall of my freshman year of high school and I liked Dreamline and Roll The Bones when I heard them on the radio. Very popular album at my school, lots of people went to see the concert (I just missed it: wasn't quite a fan yet). Listened to the album at a friend's house and was hooked. I bought Exit...Stage Left though as my first Rush album (it was all the store had in stock and I was ready for any Rush I could get). Quickly acquired RTB though (and all the Rush albums up to that point): Great album, great memories. :music:

Last edited:
Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West 1997
2632.jpg

Jeremy Enigk - Return of the Frog Queen 1996
returnoffrogqueen.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have the Modest Mouse on vinyl because it goes for about $150 on the bay, but I finally got the other one a few days ago.

^ Amazing album.

Yea Tool is great. That album was a big deal back in high school (including the "forbidden" art work). I don't know which of their albums is my favorite. I should listen to them more often.

This thread has made me listen to some of my 90's favorites as I am snowed in and working from home today.

Lots of places shut down here yesterday in St. Louis: we got 3" to 12" of snow here depending on where you live (I think it was like 7" where I am, it was light and easy to shovel, no big deal).

I work from home for the most part so I didn't have to go out in it...but I did for a long great winter hike at a local county park, just like this morning. Great fun! :banana:

Enjoy the tunes today! :music:

Right now listening to:

Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine (1992)

That was huge when I was in high school. But I could never get into them: I don't like anything resembling rap and don't like the vocals. Still good if you like that style though.

Queensrÿche - Empire (1990, reissue/bonus tracks)

165830_1_f.jpg

Still remember seeing the video for Silent Lucidity on MTV over at a friends.

Queensrÿche - Empire (1990, reissue/bonus tracks)

165830_1_f.jpg

Still remember seeing the video for Silent Lucidity on MTV over at a friends.

^ I was going to list this one! I was never a super huge Queensryche fan, but I did really like Operation Mindcrime and Empire. Empire was full of great songs, I still remember laying in my room and listening to it alot back in 91' while I played on my Sega Genesis.......(ahhh, memories lol).

Radiohead - The Bends (1995)

This is the album that got me into Radiohead, and still my favorite.

Smashing Pumpkins - Adore (1998)

Although most fans of their earlier work bashed this album, it is easily my favorite from them. While it is definitely not an album to get happy to, the dark melodies and tones are beautiful in their own right :music:

^ I was going to list this one! I was never a super huge Queensryche fan, but I did really like Operation Mindcrime and Empire. Empire was full of great songs, I still remember laying in my room and listening to it alot back in 91' while I played on my Sega Genesis.......(ahhh, memories lol).

Haha, beat ya! :D

Great album, and great SQ. :music: My gf is a big Queensryche fan, she has all of their albums and made me go see them with her a couple of times. I'm not a big fan, but yea some of their stuff is good. I had Empire on cd in '91 and listened to it a lot then too.

Sega Genesis ftw btw! My parents wouldn't actually let me have a Sega or Nintendo (I had a Commodore 64 and Mac Classic though lol) but I played them all the time at friend's houses. Probably good that I didn't have one at home as that way I managed to get some homework and independent reading done.

Radiohead - The Bends (1995)

This is the album that got me into Radiohead, and still my favorite.

Ahh, Radiohead. Good band. :yes: I haven't yet gotten all of their albums yet (I kind of lost track after Ok Computer) but I will. I started with Pablo Honey myself but The Bends is the better album.

Fiona Apple - Tidal (1996)

4w545d4sd.jpg

PS: Lots of great bands being posted itt that I've heard/heard of but long forgot/sold the cd's back. I think I opened a can of worms, it's going to take me awhile to catch up on all this music at this rate!

Sega Genesis ftw btw! My parents wouldn't actually let me have a Sega or Nintendo (I had a Commodore 64 and Mac Classic though lol) but I played them all the time at friend's houses. Probably good that I didn't have one at home as that way I managed to get some homework and independent reading done.

Fiona Apple - Tidal (1996)

4w545d4sd.jpg

I lived in the middle of nowhere and there wasn't much to do so that is one of the things that I remember most about music in the early 90's, playing Genesis or Super Nintendo for hours on end with the volume down and listening to music:music: Ahhhh, the simpler times when I did not have responsibilities and bills and all of the non-fun adult things to worry about.

^ Tidal is an perfectly beautiful album. I still listen to it regularly.

Our Lady Peace - Clumsy (1997)

My favorite album of theirs, full of great songs and amazing vocals by Maida

I lived in the middle of nowhere and there wasn't much to do so that is one of the things that I remember most about music in the early 90's, playing Genesis or Super Nintendo for hours on end with the volume down and listening to music:music: Ahhhh, the simpler times when I did not have responsibilities and bills and all of the non-fun adult things to worry about.

Ah, I see. Well I lived in the middle of suburbia in a large metro area (St. Louis) and we STILL would waste hours away playing video games/listening to music. :D (We did get out and do other stuff too though).

And yea, I hear ya. Although being an adult does have it's advantages, like having your own place and not having anyone--well besides maybe your gf/wife--yelling at you to turn that noise down!

^ Tidal is an perfectly beautiful album. I still listen to it regularly.

Yea, it's a good one. A bit disjointed though: I wasn't expecting all the slow and mellow songs when I bought it based off the singles!

Our Lady Peace - Clumsy (1997)

My favorite album of theirs, full of great songs and amazing vocals by Maida

Damn! Yet another group I remember but never got into. I think you totally own me in the size of your 90's music collection!

Tool - Opiate (1992)

106143.jpg

Back
Top Bottom