Pioneer SA-8500II repair and restoration...

Update: The reason I have not been able to get this is because my dad has been very busy. He has a friend that has the tools necessary to cut it and lets him use the tools whenever he needs them, but he hasn't been able to get over there. But he said he should have time this upcoming Saturday to cut it, so hopefully I can finish this project. In the meantime, I've been working on the others to keep me busy.

mine...

Granted a D7000, not a SA-8500II

attachment.php

Attachments

• aluminum.jpg
    aluminum.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,572
What's to say, looks fine...

Pity we can't find new mica's that fit the batwing hole spacing, although a free floating to-247 might suffice - I'll be trying that the next time I do batwings...

but to-220 micas for a to-220 does make some sense..

It works!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

I got everything put back together after checking everything, put it on a 60 watt DBT and fired it. Bulb went bright for a second, then slowly dimmed down and about 5 seconds after it dimmed down, click!

Let it idle for a moment, then shut it down and put in a 100 watt, fire it back up, click comes much faster, check idle current. 11.7mv for the left channel and 12mv for the right at zero ohms, with the second set on both channels within 0.3mv. Set idle current, no problems. Take it off, put it on normal power and hook it up to my CD player and speakers, power it on again, set the idle current and try some music.

:drool::music:

That says it all, I don't think I could say anything else. So I now have another working SA-8500II, this one brought back from the dead, literally!

THANK YOU, MARK!! :thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp: I cannot say that enough. :yes:

Last edited:
It works!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana:

I got everything put back together after checking everything, put it on a 60 watt DBT and fired it. Bulb went bright for a second, then slowly dimmed down and about 5 seconds after it dimmed down, click!

Let it idle for a moment, then shut it down and put in a 100 watt, fire it back up, click comes much faster, check idle current. 11.7mv for the left channel and 12mv for the right at zero ohms, with the second set on both channels within 0.3mv. Set idle current, no problems. Take it off, put it on normal power and hook it up to my CD player and speakers, power it on again, set the idle current and try some music.

:drool::music:

That says it all, I don't think I could say anything else. So I now have another working SA-8500II, this one brought back from the dead, literally!

THANK YOU, MARK!! :thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp: I cannot say that enough. :yes:

Awesome thread. I'm getting ready to do my SA-8500MK2 very soon. It's my first restore project.

Hello Everyone,

Apparently, this is my first discussion thread so please bear with me and I'm not sure if there an existing discussion similar to the issue i have with my 8500ii so i just replied to this thread.

Got this baby a week now and every thing works great except for the Cracking Noise when i adjust the volume control whether to min or to max and once volume is fix, all i can hear is the nice music from my SL1200M3D.

I read some thread and couldn't find related to this volume control but most of discussion suggested to replace those BJT from the control board, equalizer down to the power amp board. So i started changing the BJT and all Elec. Caps on the control board but still i got this cracking noise.

I don't want to go further and want to check the volume control potentiometer, as it is a sealed potentiometer, there's no way I can Deoxit it and i tried to remove the nuts but i'm afraid to disassemble those 3 stacked up potentiometer.

Can anyone kindly pitch in your thoughts, comments and if you have same issue, can you please share how you resolved it? Is there a replacement potentiometer?

Thanks,
Arnold

Hello,
Good day everyone, can i ask some help for my volume control cracking noise, it cracks when adjust the volume only. The volume control is a sealed potentiometer with 3 stack ups.
Is there any replacement \, can you please share that info as i can find either the part number indicated in the potentiometer or can it be sprayed by Deoxit?

I tried replacing the BJT and Elec cap from teh Control board but still has cracking noise so i'd like to take a look on this volume potentiometer before going further.

Thanks,
Arnold

Back
Top Bottom