Sansui 5500 Receiver cleaned and in service.

awise1961

With the snow piling up here in NH. I have been working through my list of projects. Today, I put my Sansui 5500 receiver on the workbench for a thorough cleaning and adjustment. I aquired this 5500 this past Summer at a fleamarket, and put it aside and added it to my Winter to-do list. Back in October I used it as a cadaver for its lamps to replace those in my TU-9500.
Today, I put this lovely receiver on the bench and gave it a thorough cleaning, vacuuming, and liberal DEOXIT application. I adjusted the vitals per the manual and replaced the vacant lamps with my homemade LED/Resistor pieces. When I was finished I applied a good dose of Howard's Finish Restorer (walnut) to the lovely wood veneer case. I'm amazed at how this receiver sounds. Even its phono stage is clear and crisp, in the best Sansui way. I had figured that I would find swollen, or leaking caps, but all of the original Elnas looked great. I know that they are way past their prime in age, but this thing sounds like a Spring Chicken. I pulled the 771 out of my third system and replaced it with this 5500. All I can say is that I am amazed with this Sansui and I have not seen another like it.

Al. Wise

Attachments

• Sansui 5500 Receiver 001.jpg
    Sansui 5500 Receiver 001.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 415
  • Sansui 5500 Receiver 005.jpg
    Sansui 5500 Receiver 005.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 339
  • Sansui 5500 Receiver 007.jpg
    Sansui 5500 Receiver 007.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 338
  • Sansui 5500 Receiver 008.jpg
    Sansui 5500 Receiver 008.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 333
I had the exact same scenario - picked up a 5500 at a flea market last summer for $75. I've listened to it a lot, on and off, ever since. It did have an issue with a crackling sound in the left channel upon powering down, which a couple of folks tried to diagnose for me. Took it in recently for a going-through and the tech replaced a transistor and resoldered some joints. Sounds awesome. Bass doesn't quite smack you in the chest the way my Marantz 2275 does, but in many ways is close to its equal (to my ears). Listening right now!

Listening to my 5500 as I type. I picked it up for $5 bucks because the case was in bad shape. Yours looks fantastic! I thought I would use this one for repair practice or parts while I restored a Sansui 9900z. Anyway from the moment I plugged this unit in (after the detoxing) I have not been able to bring myself to pull it from the heart of my main system. I have good vintage gear from Pioneer, Concept, Fisher, other Sansui, HK, Yamaha, JVC and even a Sherwood 8000 IV tube (awaiting restoration). But they are all kinda on hold due to how good this 5500 sounds. I am currently using it with, in rotation, Erath speakers, Pioneer CS 99A's, a pair of slightly upgraded Warfedale 70D and completely rebuilt RTR Model IV speakers. The Sansui 5500 makes them all sound great. The Sansui 9900Z (awaiting repair of i/o transistors) has triple the power rating at 160w versus 45 for the 5500 but I can't imagine it sounding any better. The same goes for the Sherwood tube. If these units sound any better than this 5500 I will divorce my wife and marry them.

Listening to my 5500 as I type. I picked it up for $5 bucks because the case was in bad shape. Yours looks fantastic! I thought I would use this one for repair practice or parts while I restored a Sansui 9900z. Anyway from the moment I plugged this unit in (after the detoxing) I have not been able to bring myself to pull it from the heart of my main system. I have good vintage gear from Pioneer, Concept, Fisher, other Sansui, HK, Yamaha, JVC and even a Sherwood 8000 IV tube (awaiting restoration). But they are all kinda on hold due to how good this 5500 sounds. I am currently using it with, in rotation, Erath speakers, Pioneer CS 99A's, a pair of slightly upgraded Warfedale 70D and completely rebuilt RTR Model IV speakers. The Sansui 5500 makes them all sound great. The Sansui 9900Z (awaiting repair of i/o transistors) has triple the power rating at 160w versus 45 for the 5500 but I can't imagine it sounding any better. The same goes for the Sherwood tube. If these units sound any better than this 5500 I will divorce my wife and marry them.

I hope that your wife didn't hear that.:D

Al. Wise

Nice find, I have one of these as well - bought locally for ~$30. They look and sound amazing. There doesn't seem to be many of these around either. Or else those who have them don't typcially part with them - not sure I could part with mine.

Nice find, I have one of these as well - bought locally for ~$30. They look and sound amazing. There doesn't seem to be many of these around either. Or else those who have them don't typcially part with them - not sure I could part with mine.

This thread is the most that I have heard from anyone regarding this receiver. It does indeed sound nice. I paid $ 25.00 for mine last Summer at a local fleamarket. It was dusty and dirty, but overall it was in great shape and it has cleaned up nice. My 771 is jealous as the 5500 has kicked it back onto a shelf in the unused equipment area.

Al. Wise

Nice job on the finish!
I have one too I bought it for 40 or 50 bucks. Its next on my list to fix it needs lights.
I turned it on once and it works.
I have a 5000A too, I wonder what the difference is between receivers.

Nice job on the finish!
I have one too I bought it for 40 or 50 bucks. Its next on my list to fix it needs lights.

The Howard's Finish Restorer does a great job.
I've never seen a 5000A.
Could you post a photo of it?

Al. Wise

Sure I will get one on this weekend.

The 5000A was my first Sansui that caused my audioholic condition:D

I tossed out all my modern gear.

besides, I could not afford the vintage gear back in the day. That's my excuse anyways.:yes:

member Spaceman had a 5500, I helped him by picking it up on a trip, {Pony Express}....I had a listen, after he had done just minor cleanup, I recall it was a damn fine sounding receiver.:music:

member Spaceman had a 5500, I helped him by picking it up on a trip, {Pony Express}....I had a listen, after he had done just minor cleanup, I recall it was a damn fine sounding receiver.:music:

I'm thinking that I should do a complete cap replacment because of how old the originals are, but it sounds so good as is that I hate to disturb it.
None of the caps ar swollen or leaking.

Al. Wise

Well pulled the 5500 out of storage. Your 5500 inspired me to work on mine

Its a beast, heavy big transformer, three big caps two driver boards:yes:

Replaces all the lights cleaned the pots. Then turned it on....

The sound was ... well just fantastic:music:

Im running a pair of Sansui XP6700 and it rocked the shop.

Here a pic with the 5000A on the top.
I can't find much about the 5500? what are the specs?
I need to adjust the DC offset. everything worked except the stereo light.

Attachments

• sansui 001.jpg
    sansui 001.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 237
Well pulled the 5500 out of storage. Your 5500 inspired me to work on mine

Its a beast, heavy big transformer, three big caps two driver boards:yes:

Replaces all the lights cleaned the pots. Then turned it on....

The sound was ... well just fantastic:music:

Im running a pair of Sansui XP6700 and it rocked the shop.

Here a pic with the 5000A on the top.
I can't find much about the 5500? what are the specs?
I need to adjust the DC offset. everything worked except the stereo light.

The 5000a is nice, but I like the surrounding wood case on the 5500. It just looks so classic. And yes, the sound is awesome. The manual will give you all that you want.

Al. Wise

vehto,

I have been trying to send the manuel but it is too big to go through email. It is well beyond the limit even after I zipped it. I also tried to post it to google docs so I could link you but it was too big for that route also. I am posting this response rather than pm'ing it to you so that if anybody reading knows a way for me to post a large document they can chime in. Hope I can get it to you soon.

Vehto, send a email address and I will send you the manual.

pdbjc

Ok Thanks for trying Pdbjc

All I really need is where do I put my meter for the Bias settings and which pots.

DC is on back of the speaker terminals.

and the recommended ma setting usually its 30 ma

Fred

Sansui 5500

Beautiful receivers - more inputs and outputs than the 5000 series but very similar sound to my ear. All sound awesome through my AR 3a's and AR 5's. Anyway, IMHO, Sansui line from that era cannot be beaten. I have Sansui 5000, 5000a, 5000x, 5500, 6060 and 9090db plus Marantz 2270, Realistic STA-90 and Pioneer SA-9800 and TX-9800 paired with Dual, Elac and Yamaha TT's plus aforementioned AR speakers and Large Advents, Fisher and Realistic speakers. Can't beat the Sansui-AR combo IMHO. If you can pick up a 5500 at any price, do it! BTW: 9090 db rebuilt by CR in Albany, NY is incredible!

With the snow piling up here in NH. I have been working through my list of projects. Today, I put my Sansui 5500 receiver on the workbench for a thorough cleaning and adjustment. I aquired this 5500 this past Summer at a fleamarket, and put it aside and added it to my Winter to-do list. Back in October I used it as a cadaver for its lamps to replace those in my TU-9500.
Today, I put this lovely receiver on the bench and gave it a thorough cleaning, vacuuming, and liberal DEOXIT application. I adjusted the vitals per the manual and replaced the vacant lamps with my homemade LED/Resistor pieces. When I was finished I applied a good dose of Howard's Finish Restorer (walnut) to the lovely wood veneer case. I'm amazed at how this receiver sounds. Even its phono stage is clear and crisp, in the best Sansui way. I had figured that I would find swollen, or leaking caps, but all of the original Elnas looked great. I know that they are way past their prime in age, but this thing sounds like a Spring Chicken. I pulled the 771 out of my third system and replaced it with this 5500. All I can say is that I am amazed with this Sansui and I have not seen another like it.

Al. Wise
I have one and I'm trying to remove face plate. It is loose everywhere except around power button. I don't see what's keeping from coming off. I don't want to force it until I know what's inside there. Any idea what is holding it?

Nice job on the finish!
Nor too much I have both 5000A has more mid range same powet

Back
Top Bottom