AU-717 Binding Posts

EchoWars

Hiding in Honduras
Sponsor
I like 'em.

Hard to tell from the pic, but they are mounted on bronze tinted plexiglass.

Attachments

• AU717_Posts.jpg
    AU717_Posts.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,688
I only install what the customer wants.

Edit: I often refer others to this thread, and I occasionally see a few guys back away from installing these because of Pete's voiced concerns about uninsulated posts. For the life of me, I cannot think of a single reason why this could be a problem. It isn't like the posts can bend and touch each other, and there's no way for them to short unless you're totally clueless with your wire installation (which has nothing to do with the uninsulated posts and can happen just as easily with insulated posts), or if you spend a lot of time behind your amp dropping big Craftsman crescent wrenches on your gear. Or maybe your walls are made of sheet metal and you're afraid of pushing the back of your amp into it.

Barring these three things (only two of them specific to uninsulated terminals, and both pretty far-fetched scenarios), there's no reason not to use them and they are as safe as any other type of binding post. So forget the shorting thing...it isn't going to happen unless you do something so stupid that you have no business owning a piece of hi-fi gear anyway.

Last edited:
Ew

I bought the same binding posts last year to do my AU-717. I didn't do the job because I could never come up with a method of attaching the insulating plate to the sheet metal frame without drilling holes in the frame. After LBPete's post I'm glad I didn't mount them. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees and all that. Considering that the spring clips that were on the unit aren't worth a crap, what would you suggest and how did you mount the insulator plate? I didn't see any screws.

Last edited:
bob adams said:
I bought the same binding posts last year to do my AU-717. I didn't do the job because I could never come up with a method of attaching the insulating plate to the sheet metal frame without drilling holes in the frame. After LBPete's post I'm glad I didn't mount them. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees and all that. Considering that the spring clips that were on the unit aren't worth a crap, what would you suggest and how did you mount the insulator plate? I didn't see any screws.
I see four screws. It looks like EW mounted the posts on plexiglass and then drilled holes in the chassis to mount the plexiglass to the chassis. Very nicely done. It is a real trick to get everything lined up evenly.

The bare posts look great and can work fine. They do bring an element of risk if somthing metalic shorts accross them.

As an alternative, there are insulated posts available. They tend to be a little larger so be sure to measure to be sure there is room. I used these on a couple of projects. LINK They are very good quality heavy duty terminals. The guy is very easy to deal with and ships promptly.

- Pete

LBPete said:
They look nice but uninsulated posts make me nervous.

- Pete

Perhaps a little shrink tubing would solve that issue. Besides, I think with these terminals one would use bananna plugs anyway.

Paul

Bananna plugs are the way to go.

Five screws hold the mounting plate on...two at top, two at bottom, and one in the middle. Small and unobtrusive.
bob adams said:
Should be room to mount these:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=090-475

Last edited:
EW and LBPete

I see the screws now. I saw the two at the top earlier but didn't associate them with the insulator plate because I didn't see the one in the middle and two at the bottom. Doesn't look bad at all.

I'm thinking that the binding posts in the eBay link may be a little too big in diameter. The Parts Express posts would certainly eliminate the potential of shorting and you can't beat the price. :thmbsp:

EchoWars said:
Bananna plugs are the way to go.

Five screws hold the mounting plate on...two at top, two at bottom, and one in the middle. Small and unobtrusive.
Should be room to mount these:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=090-475

Had these put on my second BA 5000 and they worker wonderfully..... I have the lock banana plugs from Ultralink, they need something really solid to grab onto!!!!

bob adams said:
I see the screws now. I saw the two at the top earlier but didn't associate them with the insulator plate because I didn't see the one in the middle and two at the bottom. Doesn't look bad at all.

I'm thinking that the binding posts in the eBay link may be a little too big in diameter. The Parts Express posts would certainly eliminate the potential of shorting and you can't beat the price. :thmbsp:
fwiw, those exact parts express binding posts are awailable from radio shack. they're what i used when i had to rig a connection for my akai m8 r-to-r amps...

doug s.

EW, what did you use to cut the plex?
Coping saw. ;)
And what grit did you use the smooth off the edges?
The edges don't show, but I even 'em up a bit on a grinding wheel.
I assume that using the insulated posts on Parts Express/Radio Shack, I'd still need the plate?
Well, yeah...since once you remove the spring posts you have a huge gaping maw of a hole in the back panel to fill so you'll have something to mount the posts to.

"EW's" idea works great using the plexiglass....I used dark tinted and for my first try at it I couldnt be more satisfied...I repaced the spring terminal ends on this sansui G-5500.....and plan on upgrading all my gear this way....I just like using banana plugs best.....thanks EW for the plexiglass idea...that makes it fairly simple....:yes:

Attachments

• 5 way binding posts 003.jpg
    5 way binding posts 003.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 365
  • 5 way binding posts 001.jpg
    5 way binding posts 001.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 344
"EW's" idea works great using the plexiglass....I used dark tinted and for my first try at it I couldnt be more satisfied...I repaced the spring terminal ends on this sansui G-5500.....and plan on upgrading all my gear this way....I just like using banana plugs best.....thanks EW for the plexiglass idea...that makes it fairly simple....:yes:

Nice work! This reminds me I have Marantz 2270 to do. Power cord is next?

I like to paint the heads of silver screws I install on black chassis either matte or flat black.

B2_08.jpg

I like to paint the heads of silver screws I install on black chassis either matte or flat black.

B2_08.jpg

I thought about painting the heads black but I was thinking I would replace them with stainless steel hex caps....but after looking at your results with the paint....:thmbsp:...that looks like the way to go:D

Looks great. I have a G-6000 that I may want to do the same. Where are your binding posts from? Tx.

Back
Top Bottom