Ortofon 2M Red vs. Sumiko Bluepoint No.2

BmWr75

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a H-K T30C TT running the 2M Red. Have a Bluepoint No.2 that is not in use. Anyone have experience with both on the same TT? If yes, which did you prefer?

If you have the time I would say your best bet would be to
try it out and see what you think.
Would be interesting to hear your findings

If you have the time - I would say your best bet would be to try
it out for yourself and see
I would be quite interested to hear what you think....

(edit:Sorry - my first post dissapeared then this duplication seemed to appear a day or 2 later)

Last edited:
Sumiko 1
2MRed 0

It is important to match with the system
I would imagine that the 2M red is quite bright and lively
having heard the 2M Blue!
Therefor I am imagining the Sumiko to be very bright and
lively. If the system is already bright and/or lively - caution
would be advised

Therefor I am imagining the Sumiko to be very bright and
lively. If the system is already bright and/or lively - caution
would be advised

Lively? Yes.

Very bright? Not even close. The original Blue Point may have been bright but not the #2.

I have a H-K T30C TT running the 2M Red. Have a Bluepoint No.2 that is not in use. Anyone have experience with both on the same TT? If yes, which did you prefer?

So why would you compare a cart that cost $99 with a cart that cost $399.? Really does not make for a fair comparison.

I've always loved the Sumiko Blue Point line. While the 2M Red is a great budget cartridge and one that I prefer over the Shure M97XE, it falls short of the Blue Point.

Having just caught up with some reviews
it seems the Red is not as bright as I imagined -
and not as good as the 2M Blue by a noticable degree

Sometimes you can't put a dollar value on sonics. There are some very good values out there.

True, sometimes, but if it's a "vs." comparison, it's not particularly fair to the Red. But that's ok, I always like to read peoples' impressions of cartridges, and comparisons to others, regardless of price.

@Mr. Lin: just wondering how you managed to remove the cover from your Dynavector. It looks more "professional" that way. Would you suggest that cartridge for a tonearm with no height adjustment?

Last edited:
So why would you compare a cart that cost $99 with a cart that cost $399.? Really does not make for a fair comparison.

Because, as stated in the OP, I own them both. The Red is installed on a H-K T30C. The Bluepoint is on the shelf (displaced by an EVO III). Based on the input, am going to swap out the Red for the Bluepoint No. 2.

Last edited:
BmWr75, if your Sumiko will definitely end to stand unused on a shelf, please advise me. I'd gladly give it a try in my Technics... ;)

Installed the Bluepoint No. 2 on the H-K today. A definite step up in sound quality.......but as someone said in an earlier post, it should be. Costs 4X as much as the 2M Red.

Having just caught up with some reviews
it seems the Red is not as bright as I imagined -
and not as good as the 2M Blue by a noticable degree

I have the 2MRed and its a very good cart after it gets broken in...the upper ranges settle down nicely.

Back
Top Bottom