I am quitter - 16 days and counting...

Danimal

Just a man...
I have not had a cig for 16 days. I am using the patch this time. I have tried to quit smoking in the past but to no avail. I am so sick and tired of the ball and chain and I know that this time is a charm. I had it dicked about a year ago when I was on Chantix but had to stop taking it due to the fact that I became unglued. I had really high anxiety coupled with rage. I wanted too hurt anyone that spoke to me. And when I say that I wanted to hurt people, that is probably an understatement. I wanted to bathe in their blood. (Really)

So - I am a quitter!!

Good luck, I hope you stick with it. :thmbsp: I've only seriously tried quitting a couple times, several years ago now, but I remember that patch had me all wound up too. I'm naturally a "little" cranky, but manage it pretty well, by keeping busy with things. I got REALLY cranky on the patch, & realized it wasn't working at all for me. :no: If I decide to try quitting again, I'll just cut down gradually, then go cold turkey, no patch.

I have heard that the patch leads to weird dreams while sleeping. Since nicotine is going thru your system 24 hours a day, your brain is working overtime even when asleep. Any truth to that?

I have heard that the patch leads to weird dreams while sleeping. Since nicotine is going thru your system 24 hours a day, your brain is working overtime even when asleep. Any truth to that?
For me, YES. If I go to bed with a patch on it's a guaranteed completely insane 8-hour sleep-trip that feels like days. All you have to do is take it off ~30 min before bed, though.

P.S. Good luck danimal! I'm coming up on 3 months here, more or less. Was on patch, now off it but using e-cigs when I drink.

...I'm a quitter tooooo

I think the pill zyban from the doctor, I forget a little from '02 now hard to believe!!!! This pill really turned it offff for me like a light switch. The only "drawback" wassss I had to eliminate all the trigger's associated with the butts, beer etc. Aside from becoming a little miserable because I "lost all my friends"... I now have more energy, skin is nice,:yes: teeth white etc. STAY BUSY, avoid friends that doooo........... etc,. and this task will be less daunting!!! good luck , go buy some vinyl now that you'll have some more cash....!!!

I quit about 5 years ago when the doc put me on Wellbutrin for depression. Turns out it's the same stuff as Zyban, just a higher dosage. Like dave b, it was like a light switch, no cravings at all hardly. Wish you luck and continued success. With the price of cigs at $4 a pack and more depending on where you live, just think how much more money you'll have for stereo gear. Just put what you would have spent on cigs in a jar and in no time you'll have enough for that vintage ----well you fill in the blanks.

I quit 8/99!:banana: I tried all the things, patch, Zyban, inhalers, nothing worked. Then on a whim, I got hypnotized. Havent touched one in 10 years+ and have no desire too. One trick I learned, and swear by, for the 1st 6 months or so I wore a rubber band on my wrist and everytime I had even the slightest urge, I would SNAP it, and the pain would make me forget the craving. I hope you stick with it. I lost my best friend last week to lung cancer at 58!
Hang in there.:thmbsp:

I quit on 3-1-86. Probably the hardest thing I ever did but it's probably the smartest thing I ever did. If I could do it you can do it.

I quit 8/99!:banana: I tried all the things, patch, Zyban, inhalers, nothing worked. Then on a whim, I got hypnotized. Havent touched one in 10 years+ and have no desire too. One trick I learned, and swear by, for the 1st 6 months or so I wore a rubber band on my wrist and everytime I had even the slightest urge, I would SNAP it, and the pain would make me forget the craving. I hope you stick with it. I lost my best friend last week to lung cancer at 58!
Hang in there.:thmbsp:

But do you bark when you hear a car horn?

hang in there. last butt i had was april fools day 1999. did it cold turkey, no gum, patch, or pill. the wife smoked all at the time too.( she quit 8 months ago)

January 1998. My plan was decrease smokes - one each day for a month - I got down to one cig a day and then jumped off. I changed my diet to fruit juice, salad, and pasta for a week, and pretended I was sick for three days. Withdrawals were bad, but I just watched a lot of tv and went to bed early. I fake smoked a few times after that but after about a year, my psychological craving was down to none.

Good luck! It is the second best thing I have ever done for myself.

I quit 5 years ago, and I hope the best of luck to you!
I quit after a month of doing yoga (bikram to be specific) it's a great way to channel the need for a smoke. I have stopped doing yoga for quite a while but haven't gone back to smoking. I probably should start yoga again :scratch2:

Nov 23rd, 1987. Went cold turkey. My kids say I was a son of a bi*** for 6 mos, my wife says a year. Any how I quit and she didn't. Since then she had a heart attack in 2000.

Keep with it. You can do it and you'll not regret it.

Quit with the patch just before my second daughter was born thirteen years ago. Don't know how anyone can afford to buy cigarettes now nor find a pleasant place to smoke them. State Farm Insurance has a large office park here. When I drive by at lunch time all of the die hard smokers are outside across the street and off the property. No smoking on business grounds at all.

Good luck. One perk is feeling superior to all that are still addicted once the monkey is gone.

Congratulations and well done danimal -- and everyone else that quit smoking. :thmbsp: You CAN do it! Actually, you already have. It is clear to me that you have made the decision to rid yourself of that ball and chain so stick with what you are doing.

It breaks 'Ol dad's heart here every time I see my beautiful daughter smoke knowing that her two beautiful kids are at such risk from what those damn cigarettes are doing to her. She has cut way back with the goal of quitting but something always seems to get in the way. At least that is what I hear. :tears:

I will be following this thread and passing along many of the success stories that you all are posting, maybe a link to the thread itself. I know how hard it can be and that there is no one single answer that will work for everyone. All she needs is one -- and to first make a FIRM commitment to herself to quit.

One last thing, have you all calculated how much real money you do not spend on cigarettes alone each year? Has anyone actually done anything creative with the money that you did not spend?

Once again, congratulations and well done danimal and everyone else that has quit smoking. I am happy for every one of you. :thmbsp:

With the price of cigs at $4 a pack and more depending on where you live, just think how much more money you'll have for stereo gear.

I wish they were $4 a pack here. Washington state probably has about the most taxes anywhere, on tobacco. $7.50 a pack for cheap off-brands. :thumbsdn: I roll my own, unless I'm going someplace.

Back
Top Bottom