Digital only play list:

Mr. Lin

Lunatic Member
For all digital formats, whether it be CD, SACD, DVD-A, hi-rez files, low-rez files ;), DAT - whatever. If you're listening now, or will be today, and it's digital, list it here. Any musical genre is appropriate.

I'll start us off:

Philip Glass
La Belle et la Bete (Beauty and The Beast)

1995 Nonesuch
16/44 Wav files ripped from double CD set.

This is an opera soundtrack Glass wrote for the Jean Cocteau film. Instantly recognizable as Philip Glass music, that's for sure! Here's a picture of the CD, which was ripped to an external hard drive:

rsz_p3161489.jpg

Last edited:
Louis Spohr
String Sextet in C major op. 140/Nonet in F major op.31

Camerada Freden
2008 Tacet CD

rsz_p3201523.jpg

Dmitri Shostakovich and Michael Obst
Hommage a Schostakowitsch: Klaviertrios von Schostakowitsch und Obst

Abegg Trio
2009 Tacet CD

Tacet is a German label, hence the title and different spelling of the name Shostakovich.

rsz_p3201521.jpg

Last edited:
There is already a "digital" play list... albeit an awkwardly titled one.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=354818

I know, but that one's for digital files only, and it was technically posted after I originally started this thread. Due to some issues, my original thread had to be re-titled and is now a different kind of play list, but this has been discussed with a moderator and a green light given to start my original thread over again. So that's where we are.

And again, this is intended for all digital formats. I mostly listen to CDs, but understand that more and more people have ditched CDs and now listen primarily or exclusively to digital files. I originally started this thread so there would be a place for anyone listening to any digital format to post, I think it just makes sense and promotes a wider range of discussion and interaction between us.

Last edited:
So this one is digital formats and the other one digital players playing?

I guess his thread is literally for a computer file "playlist," but my intention here was and is for a universal, traditional (by AK standards) play list thread for any and all digital formats. It worked really well before until a misstep on my part that's not going to happen again.

How about this one... George Benson & Al Jarreau - Givin' it Up, 2006. MonsterMusic's Super Disc (DVD) plus CD. Sounds pretty good. Got couple of these from Noel Lee at a fundraiser.

Benson_Jarreau_SuperDisc.jpg

You are going to hate me for this, and if it's a problem i'll delete the post:scratch2:.

beefheartdiskette.jpg

Yes, really.

I listened to that track last night, but this was made far earlier. We have stacks of floppies around, and I figured it would be funny to see what files could even fit on them anymore, besides word docs and such. Anyway, I thought it would be hilarious to put a song on a floppy, the least conveninant format possible. The only thing that would fit was this, a track that is 1:26, and just barely fit.

Of course, I picked a somewhat obscure band, a unusual album pick (though I do really like that track), put it on the worst format (and highly outdated), and finished it with typing the label on a 60's typewriter. It's complete nonsense, but hey, I do listen to it:yes:

I'll have a more standard pick as my next post, promise.

Also, next floppy music project is making a wall decorationg of floppies painted to match the cover of Iron Butterfly's "in a gadda da vida", and guess what...containing in-a-gadda-da-vida on around 16 floppies, I do it for the art, man:beatnik:

Thanks for re-creating this thread again Lin, nice to see it back up. :thmbsp:

Since I'm all FLAC ("low-res" standard redbook cd 16/44.1 ;)) via my main system, I have yet another playlist I can post all my stuff in!

I'll start with some good old Rush, one of their best sounding albums:

Rush - Power Windows

Rush%2B-%2B1985%2B-%2BPower%2BWindows.jpg

You are going to hate me for this, and if it's a problem i'll delete the post:scratch2:.

beefheartdiskette.jpg

Yes, really.

I listened to that track last night, but this was made far earlier. We have stacks of floppies around, and I figured it would be funny to see what files could even fit on them anymore, besides word docs and such. Anyway, I thought it would be hilarious to put a song on a floppy, the least conveninant format possible. The only thing that would fit was this, a track that is 1:26, and just barely fit.

Of course, I picked a somewhat obscure band, a unusual album pick (though I do really like that track), put it on the worst format (and highly outdated), and finished it with typing the label on a 60's typewriter. It's complete nonsense, but hey, I do listen to it:yes:

I'll have a more standard pick as my next post, promise.

Also, next floppy music project is making a wall decorationg of floppies painted to match the cover of Iron Butterfly's "in a gadda da vida", and guess what...containing in-a-gadda-da-vida on around 16 floppies, I do it for the art, man:beatnik:

33: I love you for it, you nut! :tongue: Who else but you would even think of this? :D Burning music data to an old hard disk? Not to mention the whole using floppies to create a mosaic of the cover of IB's IAGDV. Quite a project that...maybe I should do the same with some Rush album cover lol (I think Roll the Bones would work well...each dice could be a floppy).

Did lossless fit or is that a lossy copy? I suspect lossy.

33: I love you for it, you nut! :tongue: Who else but you would even think of this? :D Burning music data to an old hard disk? Not to mention the whole using floppies to create a mosaic of the cover of IB's IAGDV. Quite a project that...maybe I should do the same with some Rush album cover lol (I think Roll the Bones would work well...each dice could be a floppy).

Did lossless fit or is that a lossy copy? I suspect lossy.

A'thank you...I can't remember quite what brought it on, but the result is a curiosity certainly. I can say one thing, thank god for cheap high-capacity hard drives, floppies got outclassed fast:D

"Roll the bones" would indeed be an excellent choice:yes: If I can figure how to make the IAGDV one I may look into other albums as well. Just wait 'till I fit something on a 5.5" floppy!:tongue: (with a whopping 110kB!)

And yeah, Lossy, definitely lossy...any WAV file probably won't fit unless it's really small. I do think it was ripped at a rather decent rate though...maybe variable bit rate?

A 'floppy' album would be quite a cool novelty. :D

Oh yeah, 'till you figure how many it would take to make even a half album. I'll put it this way, by my math, a lossless (wav) copy of Rush's 2112 would take a little over 140 floppies:eek:

Back on track (?), here's an oddity;
lunaseadesire.jpg

Picked up a couple of these at a goodwill in town. Japanese cd singles, weird stuff over in these woods, they must have been imported. I haven't heard of this band, or the band of the other 3 or 4 I have (Mr.Children). Good stuff, sounds nice, and very, very Japanese. I do mean that in a good way, it's distinctive, a odd mesh of genres that seems to work despite itself. Not unlike the pillows in some regards.

I really like the packaging though, shame stuff like this wasn't big in the states.

A'thank you...I can't remember quite what brought it on, but the result is a curiosity certainly. I can say one thing, thank god for cheap high-capacity hard drives, floppies got outclassed fast:D

"Roll the bones" would indeed be an excellent choice:yes: If I can figure how to make the IAGDV one I may look into other albums as well. Just wait 'till I fit something on a 5.5" floppy!:tongue: (with a whopping 110kB!)

And yeah, Lossy, definitely lossy...any WAV file probably won't fit unless it's really small. I do think it was ripped at a rather decent rate though...maybe variable bit rate?

Yea, I even remember dealing with hard disk floppies in college in the late 90's: then it all went to small portable flash drives. I of course remember the big black floppies from elementary school.

I love the RtB cover for so many reasons (first Rush songs I heard were from RtB, it's very "existential" and that resonated with the pre-philosophical 13/14 year old me just starting to think of the "big questions", etc.). Never thought of making a floppy disc mosaic of it though, that's a 33 original! (Patent/trademark pending lol).

For lossy it is argued whether VBR or CBR is the best with 320 being the highest bit rate. I really don't know, I went pretty much straight from cd to lossless. FLAC is significantly smaller than WAV so I was wondering if that could of possibly fit. I can't think of any minute and a half songs off hand to reference but I would think they would still be around 10 megs now that I think of it. Just over a meg is quite small.

Oh yeah, 'till you figure how many it would take to make even a half album. I'll put it this way, by my math, a lossless (wav) copy of Rush's 2112 would take a little over 140 floppies:eek:

Dear lord, and you mean just the song 2112? It's so amazing that now we can fit gigs on microSDHC cards now that are smaller than a dime. And soon SDXC will be up to 2 terabytes! Scary! (c.f. the "singularity" :D).

Just finished:

Whitney Houston - Whitney

Whitney1987.JPG

Now:

Janet Jackson - Number Ones

Janet+Jackson+Number+Ones.jpg

How about this one... George Benson & Al Jarreau - Givin' it Up, 2006. MonsterMusic's Super Disc (DVD) plus CD. Sounds pretty good. Got couple of these from Noel Lee at a fundraiser.

Benson_Jarreau_SuperDisc.jpg

Is that the same Monster that makes hi-fi gear, or is it just a coincidence?

beefheartdiskette.jpg

Nope, I love it. In fact, just a few weeks ago I gave my girlfriend a hard time for still using one of those to hold some old information. It's 2011!!! Get with the program! But really, that's funny, I wouldn't have thought of it, and of course it's appropriate for this play list.

Thanks for re-creating this thread again Lin, nice to see it back up. :thmbsp:

I was hoping you'd say that. :banana:

Currently...

Buxtehude
Seven Sonatas, Op. 1

1994/2005 Naxos

Who doesn't like to start the night off with a little Buxtehude? :D

rsz_p3201515.jpg

Antonio Vivaldi
Lute (Guitar) Concertos & Mandolin Concertos

1972 Polydor/Deutsche Grammophon Musikfest
ADD

rsz_p3201518.jpg

Stars Of The Lid (all of their material is available on) - Spotify.

Hope I'll get in the new Radiohead soon. :)

Back
Top Bottom