The most beautiful motorcycle ever built?

Sam Cogley

Last of the Time Lords
Subscriber
I don't know, but it has to be close...presenting the 1934 BMW R7 prototype:

6a00d83452989a69e20120a4eb7f5f970b-800wi

http://www.retrothing.com/2009/08/the-art-deco-bmw-motorcycle-that-time-forgot.html

Close.
But the prize goes to the 1936 Rhinebeck.

Attachments

• Rhinebeck_2010_B1_1021.jpg
    Rhinebeck_2010_B1_1021.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 219
  • Rhinebeck_ADexcel__103.jpg
    Rhinebeck_ADexcel__103.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 244
  • Rhinebeck_ADexcel__105.jpg
    Rhinebeck_ADexcel__105.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 156
  • Rhinebeck_ADexcel__102.jpg
    Rhinebeck_ADexcel__102.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 156
  • Rhinebeck_ADexcel__110-tm.jpg
    Rhinebeck_ADexcel__110-tm.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 181
Close.
But the prize goes to the 1936 Rhinebeck.

Hmm. I actually thought about that when posting this thread. It's a lovely machine, but possibly too bulbous for my tastes. Besides, the riding position on the R7 looks worlds more comfortable and practical than the Rhinebeck.

I scrape my pegs often enough with my VTX....getting low on either one of those would cost thousands in repair!

Hmm. I actually thought about that when posting this thread. It's a lovely machine, but possibly too bulbous for my tastes. Besides, the riding position on the R7 looks worlds more comfortable and practical than the Rhinebeck.

Agreed but I would have them in the living room not the garage.
Those two are built to admire not ride.

I'm more into this kind of beauty...

Attachments

• $(KGrHqMOKnIE1SlRlRT6BNjn9dJFKQ~~_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqMOKnIE1SlRlRT6BNjn9dJFKQ~~_12.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 215
Agreed but I would have them in the living room not the garage.
Those two are built to admire not ride.

True, but the R7 looks like it would be fun to take for a ride (and apparently the BMW staff did when it was built, a reporter testing an R5 reported seeing it running around the Bavarian mountain roads).

I'm gonna have to go with the Rhinebeck too. It was so over the top and so way far ahead of it's time. Although, it's not a practical rider..

Now as far as I'm concerned, I'm going to have to say to me, this has got to be the most beautiful bike... Bikes are about seeing the engine.. seeing the parts that make it go... and to have an old rotary plane engine as the centerpiece, unbelievable.. I would give $1000 just to have the owner fire it up so I can hear it... (I do know Jesse James built this, but not sure if he owns it or not) I would imagine the sound of it riding down the street would clear the road around you..

radialmotorcycle.jpg

I've always thought this to be quite beautiful...

attachment.php

Attachments

• R90S Silver Smoke - Gilchrist (1).jpg
    R90S Silver Smoke - Gilchrist (1).jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 218
I reeeeeally love the motorcycle, that Richards Thompson wrote a song about...................................

...........Vincent Black Lightning..........................

Steve

I'm gonna have to go with the Rhinebeck too. It was so over the top and so way far ahead of it's time. Although, it's not a practical rider..

Now as far as I'm concerned, I'm going to have to say to me, this has got to be the most beautiful bike... Bikes are about seeing the engine.. seeing the parts that make it go... and to have an old rotary plane engine as the centerpiece, unbelievable.. I would give $1000 just to have the owner fire it up so I can hear it... (I do know Jesse James built this, but not sure if he owns it or not) I would imagine the sound of it riding down the street would clear the road around you..

radialmotorcycle.jpg

I prefer the layout of the JRL radial engine bike, as far as radials go, but the sweeping lines of the '30's bikes is much sexier IMHO.

attachment.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU_HYXOgbRw&feature=related

Attachments

• radialmotorcycle1a.jpg
    radialmotorcycle1a.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Bikes are about seeing the engine.. seeing the parts that make it go...

Take another look at the R7. The cylinders/head assemblies and exhaust are exposed, they're just so artfully crafted that they don't really look like engine parts.

A few options here.
So far I like all of the options shown so far, especially the BMW prototype, the R7 and the HRD.

Attachments

• Brough1936_SS80_Right_sea2.jpg
    Brough1936_SS80_Right_sea2.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I'm gonna have to go find my old "Classic Bike" mags. Though some of the old American iron is attractive, I was always fond of the european makes.

Back
Top Bottom