G-9000 Upgraded Speaker Terminals Project

MAXZ28

Addicted Member
Here's a practical project I felt other Big G owners would benefit from. :yes:

I decided I've had enough finaggling with my busted up speaker terminals on my G-9000 and ordered some beefy upgrades. The challenge was how I was going to mount them and whether or not I was going to fabricate a new terminal plate. What I decided to do was use the existing plates and modify them to fit the new terminals.

Here's what I started with...

20091004040.jpg

I pulled them off the chassis and removed the spring tension terminals with a needle nose pliers.

20091004041.jpg

I then drilled the 1/4" mounting holes in the center of the original openings using my drill press.

20091004020.jpg

Once the holes were drilled, I ground down the terminal frames flush with my belt sander and followed up with some fine grit sandpaper on my hand block.

20091004019.jpg

20091004021.jpg

20091004030.jpg

Mounted the new terminals and wired them in.

20091004016.jpg

20091004018.jpg

20091004044.jpg

20091004045.jpg

Looks great and no more broken originals to fart around with. :banana:

Last edited:
That's right - come to think of it, some of the G-x700 series receivers use the same terminal blocks also.

Brilliant.... Elegant.
Can you share a pic of the backside showing the nut and stem of the terminals, and a brand or model of the terminals?

Thanks

Scott T

I've already buttoned up the G-9000 but I have a set to do for my G-801 so I'll snap a picture of the backsides and post it here once they're done.

I bought them off Ebay....type in Speaker Cable Terminals Copper Binding Post Jack Gold and you'll find them. Didn't take long for them to arrive from HK.

Nice work !

I will remember this for my G-8000 when it starts acting up .

Barney

Nice work Darren!
Jeez I hate them damned spring loaded thingys. I got them on the back of my Carver M400 and would like to get rid of them.
Thanks to you I have another project. :D

Very nice / clean upgrade.
The only thing I don't like about my big Sansuis is the side mount RCA and speaker connections. They make an already wide receiver all that much wider (and messier). The addition of binding posts like these are cool but if I choose to use banana plugs it adds another inch and a half.

But they do sound awfully nice so I shouldn't bitch about the idiosyncrasies.

I hear you, w1jim - there are a variety of speaker terminals much smaller dimensionally one could use to help minimize the "wideness" effect but I wanted the heavy duty insulated type. I have plenty of side space on top of my Expedit 2X4 If this unit would be going in a cabinet, I probably would have gone considerably smaller. :thmbsp:

20091004018.jpg

Nice room setup MAXZ28 , very clean and comfortable looking , and your idea is great as I just received a BA2000 that uses the same terminals and just about bought a g9000 speaker plate off ebay at almost 70.00 .... your idea is much better and cheaper :)

Do I spy...

The Carver CD player that I traded to you for the speakers with the Pearless drivers? :scratch2:

20091004018.jpg

+1 That is very clever use of the existing mountings to achieve a great end result. :thmbsp:

That IS an elegant solution. Hat tip to you!

< I admit I actually like the springy terminals but when they break ya gotta do something!>

Nice room setup MAXZ28 , very clean and comfortable looking , and your idea is great as I just received a BA2000 that uses the same terminals and just about bought a g9000 speaker plate off ebay at almost 70.00 .... your idea is much better and cheaper :)

'Glad to have been able to help. :thmbsp: I think you can still get the 8 speaker terminals for under $19 shipped. I just did up two more sets of terminals for my other Big G's last week. I just have to get around to installing them.

The Carver CD player that I traded to you for the speakers with the Pearless drivers? :scratch2:

20091004018.jpg

Sadly no. This is a DTL-200 MKII I ended up buying off the bay cheap. Just needed some new belts. I think that DTL-100 is still at Jays - I never made it up to Twangfest to collect it. :tears:

Back
Top Bottom