Tutorial: "Deep Cleaning" An Amplifier

UPDATE: I successfully washed a FM tuner. It came out great and works superb! Only caution I took was to dry all the coils and capacitors very well.

This is my latest project - an original NAD 3020. When I got it it was covered in a greasy residue (probably from years of operating in a filthy environment).

BEFORE
nadbefore.jpg

AFTER
nadafter.jpg

I respectfully just can't agree with this deep cleaning thing.
makes me cringe. and oily turpentine ? eeeuew.

I respectfully just can't agree with this deep cleaning thing.
makes me cringe. and oily turpentine ? eeeuew.

Well QSAudio... that is the way we cleaned brand-new PCBs, at a local amplifier manufacturer, just after soldering.

Turps was used to clean the aluminum face plates (greasy residues) and it was wiped clean with Windex afterwards.

This method, up-to-date, have always worked for me. Noisy pots and switches are sorted and the amp always looks better afterwards all the muck is washed from the interior.

Are you to scared to try it? :scratch2: :smoke:

Just did this with my old Yamaha A-520. The left speaker on the A channel was out and the right speaker on the B channel went in and out all the time. After a good scrubbing she performs like new. No problems whatsoever. Thanks for the tutorial! :thmbsp: You have made one happy listener :music:

Just did this with my old Yamaha A-520. The left speaker on the A channel was out and the right speaker on the B channel went in and out all the time. After a good scrubbing she performs like new. No problems whatsoever. Thanks for the tutorial! :thmbsp: You have made one happy listener :music:

Great to hear! :tresbon:

Oi Ghostie,

Great tutorial. Could not fault it in any way and glad that some stuff rubbed off when you were here. Sharing like you do is a very special quality, never give up!:thmbsp:

Wow... this is an amazing tutorial! But the idea of putting a PCB with all its components soldered in place into a tub of water just gives me the shudders. :eek: My thought would be to use a moist soft bristle brush to give the PCB a good cleaning, with minimal water exposure. It wouldn't come out showroom clean, but far better than it would have been previously. I do have a very dusty receiver with that "stuck on dust" condition (won't just blow off with an air can). Looks like I may have to give this a try! :)

Wow... this is an amazing tutorial! But the idea of putting a PCB with all its components soldered in place into a tub of water just gives me the shudders. :eek: My thought would be to use a moist soft bristle brush to give the PCB a good cleaning, with minimal water exposure. It wouldn't come out showroom clean, but far better than it would have been previously. I do have a very dusty receiver with that "stuck on dust" condition (won't just blow off with an air can). Looks like I may have to give this a try! :)

Hi there

Submerged washing with water and detergent is how assembled PCBs are cleaned in the factory (that is if a manufacturer bothers with it). The key is to dry it properly before powering up. It is not harmful at all (DONT submerge transformers and coils!!)

Just also make sure that relays are dry inside. Some relays are hermitically sealed and the water wont penetrate.

No pain - no gain :music:

Up to date I did not have any bad luck with the procedure (touch wood). All the amps washed this way came out in BETTER shape than before.

Oi Ghostie,

Great tutorial. Could not fault it in any way and glad that some stuff rubbed off when you were here. Sharing like you do is a very special quality, never give up!:thmbsp:

The GRAND MASTER himself!

Guys - this is the great gentleman who taught me this procedure! I am forever grateful for his teachings (and I would love to learn more!)

Dankie Spydermann! :tresbon:

Below a pic of one of his creations:

products_blackwidow_monoamplifier_inside_large.jpg

Can this cleaning process be used on tube amps and tuners?

I know not to get transformers wet.

I can not believe how dirty and dusty amps, receivers and tv's become inside.

Thanks

Can this cleaning process be used on tube amps and tuners?

I know not to get transformers wet.

I can not believe how dirty and dusty amps, receivers and tv's become inside.

Thanks

Yes - you can clean tube amps and tuners this way. Just prepare them by removing all transformers and chokes.

Tub Amp deep cleaning...

Wow -

Just Answered teh question I had - I will have to try it!

Hello everyone, and a Happy New Year!

Probably stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway: what about using a small hand held steam cleaner (household type), or is the steam actually too hot and dangerous for the pcb/electronic components?
I inherited a very nice set of Pioneer "silver line" components from my father: amp, tuner, tape deck, turntable, even a digital clock! all on an original Pioneer cabinet, and it's just a shame not to put it to use... First chance I get I"ll post photos

Thank you in advance,
Vagelis, Greece

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I followed this great tutorial for my 18years old AKAI AM69 amplifier.
I removed transformer as suggested. After washing sequence i realize that, AKAI had another small transformer on main supply board. I left machine to dry for three days. After that i put the amplifier in a fridge for one hour.

Amplifier is working fine for now. But it has four relay switches. One is attached on main pcb, another one is on preamplifier pcb, other two is next to capacitors. Since then when i power up the amplifier, i heard one relay click (i checked which one it is, its on main supply pcb) and no sound at all. Sometimes its working fine. This problem happens randomly. And another thing is bugging me. I have the schematics for AM69. This another transformer named as subtransformer and it is overheating and make a low buzzing sound while amplifier is on.

Is this means subtransformer is damaged? I need your suggestions badly..
This amplifier is not a piece of electronics for me. It is more than that.

Thanks,

ps. i attached a picture. Black arrow shows the subtransformer location.

Attachments

• P1020046.JPG
    P1020046.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 174
Back
Top Bottom