1963 Fisher President VIII 8000 Console

smi1

I'm looking for a Fisher President VIII 8000 Console. Do you guys think that there may still be one out there somewhere?

1963PresidentVIIIModern.jpg

Thanks!

You can ask, and the worst they'll say is "HELL NO!"

With Executives being almost as rare as hen's teeth, and commanding top dollar (due to the internals) a president may be the "Ark of the covenant" as far as finding one. I've been on here @ AK for 3 years now and can't remember seeing a president crossing paths here. A few Executives, but no presidents.

Be assured that if one ever presents itself ther WILL BE A FIGHT for it! So make sure you've got 200% of your budget handy (you're gonna need it).

Good Luck

larry

Hiya,

Rarity of these units is based on original cost which was astronomical meaning very low amounts were ever sold and also that any that have hit the market are usually carved up by E-Pay flippers.

Frannie

They exist but most, as others have noted, have been broken up and their components scattered around the country thanks to eBay. There are 3 listed on the "Roster" and there have been several other later (predominately solid state) models discussed in the D&S forum whose eventual fate is unknown.

None of the ones listed in the "Roster" have remained intact. The '56 President is the best outcome thus far. While the cabinet did not survive, at least all of the components and paperwork have remained together. The owner at least appeared to appreciate how just special his inheritance from his Uncle was. I sure would like to see photos and learn more of the history of his especially historic console.

1956 President:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4183104#post4183104

The following case histories are probably more typical of the fate of most Presidents. I suppose it's what you should expect given the monetary value attached to the separate components. The enormous, burdensome and expensive to move cabinets would certainly be difficult for most to accommodate. Nevertheless, I find the following accounts discouraging and depressing. I don't blame the individuals involved for their actions: what they do with their own property is clearly none of my business. I'd just like to see at least one President from the Golden Age of Hi-Fi remain intact and find a proper place along a nice, long wall in the home of someone who will appreciate it. If that ever happens, I would appreciate an invitation to the big dinner party/unveiling once the restoration is complete.

1962 President VI:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=362506

1963 President VII:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=313562

You know it's really gotten bad when you can't remember posts from 4 months ago on something so rare, but can remember what you had for breakfast on the day you got married 30 years ago. Just for you curious buggers I had a Big plate of S.O.S., Hash Browns, Coffee, and OJ. Think of it as a Hearty Last Meal for the condemned!!!

Larry

I'm still kicking myself over that President VII in the post up there. I even had the right gear to put in it, just no room. Good luck with your search.

I'm kicking myself over the EXECUTIVE Fran got last week. My email was right behind her's. But I helped her get it home and that Karma spread all over.

Larry

Thanks for all of you that answered. It really is a shame what people can do to such great pieces of audio history! Shame on them! Ah well... With luck, I'll find one eventually!

Let's put it this way:
That pictured President is one console even I'd keep intact, would fully restore, and would be allowed to grace my sun room.
An alternate take is that it would pass the family test. I'm the only male in the family, so you know what I'm talking about.
No disparagement of being female or being with females is intended. This is just a comment on the pecking order for indoor furnishings in the common living space with four people.

Does that look like an X-202-B and an FM-100B? Any guesses? What else does it come with?

Last edited:
Let's put it this way:
That pictured President is one console even I'd keep intact, would fully restore, and would be allowed to grace my sun room.
An alternate take is that it would pass the family test. I'm the only male in the family, so you know what I'm talking about.
No disparagement of being female or being with females is intended. This is just a comment on the pecking order for indoor furnishings in the common living space with four people.

Agreed!

I'm still kicking myself over that President VII in the post up there. I even had the right gear to put in it, just no room. Good luck with your search.

Right there with you. I could have made the room, I just didn't have any way to get it to me.

I just found on today at an estate sale in Carmel, CA. Purchased it, my first tube amp and I am excited!!!

Couple Pics

Attachments

• Console.jpg
    Console.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 108
  • Stereo.jpg
    Stereo.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Tuner.jpg
    Tuner.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Phono.jpg
    Phono.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Recorder.jpg
    Recorder.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Speaker Label.jpg
    Speaker Label.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 104
I just found on today at an estate sale in Carmel, CA. Purchased it, my first tube amp and I am excited!!!

Haha. I see you found your way to the Fisher Forum, after all.
Congratulations once again. That is truly one beautiful console.:trebon:

:eek2:DAMN! Much as I don't care for separates (I'm a receiver guy), I'd change sides quickly with that one. Even tho the cabinet is a provincial, I'd definately make room for that monster and put the Executive in another room. It looks like it's been well taken care of. Good Catch!!

1st time powered up. Mark and have all the tubes tested 1st. Replace all bad tubes. Use a 150W DBT. It's probably gonna glow fairly bright when it settles down. You could separate the tuner,preamp, and amp then use a 100W bulb. If the lamp dims down on all of them, go ahead and connect them all together, and fire it up. It could use some new caps and such in at least the SA-300b, and the 400-CX2 due to age and the fact that FRAKO electrolytics blow out their rubber end seals, and the can caps might be leaky(electrically). There aren't that many Frakos in the whole thing (maybe 6-10 total) but you'll know what they look like when you see the white rubber seals blown out.

The President follows the old automobile axiom when you walk into a Ferrari or Maserati showroom. "If you ask how much it is, you can't afford the oil changes"! So don't ask.:p(And that's the only question you don't have to ask and look smart).

Manual's here.>>>>>>>> http://www.fisherconsoles.com/president VIII.html

Larry

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom