Teac X-2000R Blue LEDs

schwarcw

Greetings!

I have my Teac X-2000R in for a check up and alignment with Ken at Tapepath. Ken is an AK Forum member and his Forum name is "Tapepath". I had one meter light out. Ken suggested that he might be able to add some LEDs to replace the original lights. I asked if he could find some blue LEDs as the orginal white lights are kind of boring on the black meters of the X-2000R. Well, take a look and tell me what you think?

Teac1.jpg

Carl

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I really don't like it, It kinda reminds me of a cheap USB hub and it spoils the solid and clean look of the recorder.

But hey, if you're happy with it, it's fine :)

LED's for a Teac X-2000R

Well for sure it gives the X-2000R a different look, mood lighting if you will.
I like it.
May be if you would have choosen a different color of LED, say like may be an amber tint color would also give it a better look against the black meters?
Just my opinion here but may be if the meters would also have been replaced with the 'white' style (from the silver faced versions/model) meters I think it would have enhanced the over all look of the blue LED's?

I think it looks great, Im going to take that approach w my X-1000. Use the blue to tie in w my Pioneer Fluoroscan units.

Yes, I think it looks fantastic also. I have been looking at purchasing one of these at some point soon and when I do, it will have blue LED's installed. I think it further updates the look of an already gorgeous machine. I have 3 Technics SL1200 turntables and have installed blue LED's in all of 'em.
Different strokes for different folks, but I'm a lover of a blue LED!

Thanks everyone for your kind words and opinions. There are a limited number of LED colors with the right size and voltage. I chose the blue as it somewhat matched my McIntosh and Marantz gear. Tapepath (Ken) did need to create a small circuit to adjust for the correct voltages. I like the blue. Others may prefer a different color, which is cool. The real purpose of the post is to demonstrate what can be done to illuminate these meters with LEDs.

Enjoy!

Carl

Last edited:
I mostly like it. The one change I might do is to add a small piece of diffused translucent plastic in front of the LED in order to spread the point-source effect of the LED, and to soften the glow. Other than that, cool.

I like it as well... the blue rules! However, i agree with Artie... softening the glow would be an even bigger improvement. Perhaps some fine sandpaper or steel wool over the surface of the LED would have done the trick... just enough to take the "gloss" off the surface. They should sell LED's with the surface already roughened up a bit.

That was a cool idea you had. A little color always makes it better.

I mostly like it. The one change I might do is to add a small piece of diffused translucent plastic in front of the LED in order to spread the point-source effect of the LED, and to soften the glow. Other than that, cool.

I sand them with fine sand paper until outside is milky.

Hello,
Actually the photo over emphasizes the point source quality of the light coming from the LEDs. In "real life" it is more diffuse and less intrusive. I'll try and take a few more shots in a home setting. Photographing equipment with dark face plates can be challenging as most of us know.
This particular deck is in wonderful condition and has, what has to be, a custom made wood enclosure that really sets it off.
Other color LED's are certainly available, in fact blue is one of the less common colors. Don't know about amber, but maybe something could be done with a combination red/white LED? Or, maybe LEDs that change color, going to red when the "record" mode is engaged? For owners who do live recording in darker environments red could be easier to see VU meters?
Cheers, Ken

maybe a bit of tin foil as a reflector and reduce the brightness a little i like bright but they look a bit glarey and in one direction as in the bright spot at the bottom .. sorry being a bit critical here if you like it stick with it ......if it aint broke don't fix it

I once tried blue LEDs for meter illumination, but found it too be too harsh and uneven. I ended up putting in standard VU lamps (available from Studiosound.com) and gluing a blue plastic film (a gel) behind the VU window. Most pro audio/music stores sell gels. They are used to color stage lights.

I got my X2000R back from Forum Member tapepath (Ken) last week. It sounds and looks fantastic!!!:banana:

Here are some updated photos:

DSCN7721.jpg

DSCN7716.jpg

X2000Rcrop.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Carl

The lights look cool... and the wood on the sides is really awesome too. Is that the factory wood cabinet, or did you do that yourself?

Hi Charlie!

Thanks for the kind words!

I re-veneered the stock Teac cabinet with some cherry veneer. I used a wood dye and not a stain for color. Then some polyurethane satin finish. The depth is amazing.

Carl

Greetings! I know it's been many years since you posted this. I've got a x2000r and there's no lights behind the dials. How did you do that?

I have my Teac X-2000R in for a check up and alignment with Ken at Tapepath. Ken is an AK Forum member and his Forum name is "Tapepath". I had one meter light out. Ken suggested that he might be able to add some LEDs to replace the original lights. I asked if he could find some blue LEDs as the orginal white lights are kind of boring on the black meters of the X-2000R. Well, take a look and tell me what you think?

Teac1.jpg

Carl

The LED's and wood are not my cup of tea, as I prefer my kit to be as stock as possible, but I appreciate the work put in to create the look.... whatever floats your boat....

Back
Top Bottom