Pioneer PL-A35 Score

chicks

Lunatic Member
Just picked this up at the GW today, $10. Shure M91E, missing part of stylus. Belt had turned to goo. Auto start and stop mechanism working just fine. Drive motor turning, hopefully at the correct speed.

Cosmetically, just missing a metal trim ring on the mat, dustcover is virtually unscratched, as is the walnut veneer. A bit of plastic polish for the dustcover, some Howard's for the veneer, and a bath should turn this into quite a looker.

Build quality definitely not up there with the PL-71, but not bad, at least compared to the Thorens TD-180 that recently went through here. :sigh:

100_4567.JPG

Borrowed a belt from my Dual 502 - not the right size, but close enough for testing. Have a generic stylus for an M95, but it fits very loosely on the M91 body. So stuck on an AT92E that was already mounted, and took 'er for a spin. Lookin' good, workin' good! The little Rat Shack mixer is da bomb for bench testing.

The Dual 502 probably has a somewhat better arm, but can't stand its plastic base. Love the base on the Pio.

Have a belt on order, any input on a good stylus for the M91? TIA.

100_4568.JPG

Last edited:
The base is really nice on that one. Too bad the top part with all the controls is so plastic looking, though. Still, I wouldn't turn it down if it came my way for the same price (or several multiples thereof!).

Stuck a couple small pieces of paper between the M91E's body and the ears of the M95 stylus (Ed Saunders, IIRC), and it fits tightly now. This thing looks and sounds way too good for a $10 deck. It's dead quiet between tracks, not a hint of rumble.

Only issue, and it's a very minor one, is that the arm doesn't return 100% fully. About 1/8" from fully sitting on the armrest. Will have a look for lube points underneath at some point. Oh, and I need to figure out the weight of the missing anti-skate weight, and build a replacement.

100_4575.JPG

100_4573.JPG

Last edited:
chicks, You scored a good one! It has a very good tonearm. Pretty sure it has the same arm as the PL-31D, PL-41, PL-50 and so on. Heavier trackers like the Denon DL-103 are a great match. :yes:

Cheers

I have one of these. Sent it to get repaired and the idiots at the shop not only did NOT repair it, they LOST the weight.

So I really need help here, if anyone can help me I would be really thankful. I need the specifications of the length of the line, what was the weight made of and what shape did it have so I can tell them to build a new one.

Also anyone has got pictures of the original weight or can take them? Thanks!

The user's manual is on Vinylengine (free registration): http://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-a35.shtml

It mentions two weights, a heavy one made of brass, and a lighter one made of aluminum. As Balifly posted above, the lighter one weighs 1.27 gm with the nylon string; usually 2-lb test monofilament works pretty well. Dunno the length, on the ones I've built in the past (for Pro-Jects and Music Halls), it was pretty easy to determine through trial and error, though.

Oh, welcome to AK! Glad to have you here.

chicks, yragael, I dont have this turntable anymore, I just sold it to someone on here. (stereofisher) Maybe he'd be willing to do some measuring for you.
Here is a picture of the anti-skate weight, sure seemed original to me and I bought the table some time ago from the original owner. It hung over its holder and to within, say, about 1/4 inch from the table. Fine adjustments could be made by which groove the loop sat in on the arm.

Attachments

• 008a.JPG
    008a.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 166
Dunno the length, on the ones I've built in the past (for Pro-Jects and Music Halls), it was pretty easy to determine through trial and error, though.

Oh, welcome to AK! Glad to have you here.

Chicks,

Just measures the string on my PL-A35 pendulum weight.:D

It is approximately 78mm including the loop at the top end.

Hello,

I recently was just given one of these tables. I cant seem to figure out what belt size it needs. How can you figure that out? Or does anyone know what size this table takes?

Thanks

Hello,

I recently was just given one of these tables. I cant seem to figure out what belt size it needs. How can you figure that out? Or does anyone know what size this table takes?

Thanks

Welcome to the AK turn table forum.

The correct size is - flat belt, medium 23.6 inch.

Back
Top Bottom