most creative album covers

tdpatt48

i was looking through my vinyl again thinking how much i miss album covers.there are so many creative covers out there.whats some of the best? two that i have that come to mind are "schools out"that fold out desk was too cool.next might be "thick as a brick"that news paper album gave me hours of fun.

The first Santana album has always been one of my faves…

tunes_15_Santana1LG.jpg
1689029938739.png

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't have any thumbnails to attach but just a few comments...I always thought Todd Rundgreen and Uriah Heep had some pretty thought provoking album covers but then some of those mentioned above are creative in there design unfortunately damn hard to get into i.e. Elton John Honky Tonk Chateau..a

Always thought Megadeth's Youthanasia was a good one - hanging babies out to dry, and Malmsteen's Trilogy, fighting off the hydra with a guitar... only in an 80s movie :p

And Frank Zappa was the man!

Attachments

• youthanasia.jpg
    youthanasia.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 638
  • trilogy.jpg
    trilogy.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 669
Last edited:
The Dead had lots of good ones... I'd also include "American Beauty" and "Live/Dead".

I also quite like "Who's Next", brooding, moody, and funny -- a post-apocalyptic vision (quite fitting the "Lifehouse" theme) with a twist.

Books on Album Art

There are a number of good books covering this topic. So if you lack the albums you can still enjoy the art. For your pleasure.

The Greatest Album Covers of All Time. Collins & Brown (October 28, 2005).

1000 Record Covers. Taschen (September, 2002).

In the Groove: Vintage Record Graphics, 1940-1960. Chronicle Books (June, 1999).

Two more favorites, from Roxy Music and ELO.

This could go on forever? :)

Attachments

• ELO.jpg
    ELO.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 374
  • ROXY.jpg
    ROXY.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 324
Back
Top Bottom