Garrard 301/401 owners club!

Calling all Garrard 401/301 owners! It seems that everyone else has an "owners club" in this joint so why don't we? I figured we could have a centralized thread to talk about tweaks, share pictures, hold hands and run through fields of tall flowers. you get the idea , whatever everyone else does in these "owners clubs".

I'll start, here is my 401. I got this unmolested example straight from the mother land via Ebay. I made the plinth myself using high quality Baltic birch. the arms are a SME 3009 , rewired by Alfred and smetonearms.com. on it is a Shure M97xe with jico/sas stylus. the second arm is an Audio Technica atp 12t with a denon 103R on it.
tt1-2.jpg

tt2-2.jpg

tt4-2.jpg

tt4-3.jpg

I am looking for some tweaks to do on my table to get it to tip top shape. I recently had a lot of fun trying out different platter mats and platter damping rings to great success! here is the link to that thread http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=406411&highlight=garrard

after my success with the platter tweaks I am inspired to tweak some more and that is where I am running out of information. what have you done to your table to improve the sound? what type of plinth are you using? good arms and carts matches for the Garrard's? just dump all of your Garrard knowledge right here, and help make a great reference for everyone! thanks guys!

so... Show us your 301/401's!!!

Cool idea, Jeremy. Thanks for starting the thread.

Nice looking table. I have a 301 Grease bearing that I need to put in a plinth.
Me, too.

I've had mine "up and running" for a period of time on the original board, though.

Thread here.

index.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Wanabe member here. Started tracking 401 prices on that auction site. Though have noticed that reasonably priced plinths are more readily available for the TD-124.

Last edited:
Nice looking table. I have a 301 Grease bearing that I need to put in a plinth.
build that plinth! I did the standard baltic birch build and it was easy as can be. I got SirByrd to cut my pieces out for me then I cut the holes for the table. and glued and screwed it together. real easy! go for it!
Cool idea, Jeremy. Thanks for starting the thread.

Me, too.

I've had mine "up and running" for a period of time on the original board, though.

Thread here.

attachment.php

thanks for sharing the pics Nate! I love the look of the 301, if I am being honest , even more then the 401 but thats my personal taste. what arm do you have on it? have you done any tweaks to it?

Wanabe member here. Started tracking 401 prices on that auction cite. Though have noticed that reasonably priced plinths are more readily available for the TD-124.

Plinths for the td124 do seem a little cheaper, however there is diy options out there. plinth building seems like it would be much harder then it is guys, it is a lot of fun and very rewarding. everyone should build at least one!

I also have two Thorens td 124's that are up and running along with 3 other operating TT's I just need to find the time and the need.

thanks for sharing the pics Nate! I love the look of the 301, if I am being honest , even more then the 401 but thats my personal taste. what arm do you have on it? have you done any tweaks to it?
Hey Jeremy, I haven't had it in the system long enough to do any real tweaking. My Empire table came together shortly after this picture was taken, and the Garrard hasn't been back since. I pulled it out and started an overhaul - it's in pieces right now.

The arm in the photo is/was a Linn Akito that I had at the time, but when the Garrard comes back in, I'll set it up with my Schick stick. The Schick is supposed to be the shite for these tables...

Some info here from a 1959 Warren Radio Catalog. Selling price for the 301 was $89.00 with no stereo arm. The table came with an inspection report with all the performance characteristics. The 2 piece base came in ebony, walnut or mahogany and cost $24.00. The model TPA/12 stereo arm cost $19.50.

I have a 401 mounted in a heavy plinth and a Rega RB350. I bought the thing as a piece about eight years ago, mounted a Grado Reference Platinum, and have been lothe to change anything (except the cartridge) because it sounds so good!

Hey Jeremy, I haven't had it in the system long enough to do any real tweaking. My Empire table came together shortly after this picture was taken, and the Garrard hasn't been back since. I pulled it out and started an overhaul - it's in pieces right now.

The arm in the photo is/was a Linn Akito that I had at the time, but when the Garrard comes back in, I'll set it up with my Schick stick. The Schick is supposed to be the shite for these tables...

my next diy tonearm project is a Schick clone. my buddy who machines and I have been starting to dive into getting info for it, and rough ideas. just havent actually gotten into the garage and start cutting metal yet..... yet!

I recognise that slate plinth review..... :D

Count me in. I currently have -

Garrard 301, with Alphason HR-100S arm and Ortofon Kontrapunkt b cartridge.

Another Garrard 301 with Decca FFSS arm and cartridge

Garrard 401 with Audio Origami Uniarm and Ortofon 2M Black cartridge.

Grey grease 301, SME series 1 3012 and long Ortofon mono waiting to find the time
to finally come together!

build that plinth! I did the standard baltic birch build and it was easy as can be. I got SirByrd to cut my pieces out for me then I cut the holes for the table. and glued and screwed it together. real easy! go for it!

Plinths for the td124 do seem a little cheaper, however there is diy options out there. plinth building seems like it would be much harder then it is guys, it is a lot of fun and very rewarding. everyone should build at least one!

Don't have the skills or tools needed to do the plinth right. Plinth will need a removable armboard, already have the arms - SME Series III and Alphason HR-100S, and I want it to be pretty too.

Though nice, think I'll pass on the slate plinth. Maybe I should start playing the lotto :scratch2:

Last edited:
so have any of you guys tried any tweaks? I have been thinking about trying out a thrust bearing upgrade. at first I was thinking about the Kokomo Kit MK2 but have read some things about the ceramic ball used could damage the Garrard spindle. ceramic being the harder material, the spindle wears instead of the bearing, not good. so I have been looking into the bronze ball bearing kit sold on ebay. in addition to being a decent bit cheaper his anti ceramic argument makes a lot of sense. has anyone else read anything or tried either of these bearings? any thoughts or suggestions?

I am planing to do a number of "upgrades" one at a time so we can review their worth and sonic value. first up will be the thrust plate upgrade. I have a couple of other ideas in mind but does anyone have any suggestions for additional tweaks that may be worth looking in to?

I have a Kokomo bearing on my 301 which I was initially very impressed by, but I'm still working up the courage to pull it apart and see if it's done any damage, following the reports mentioned.

I've also just been playing with RedBeard Analogue's Super Bearing which is truly magnificent and massively quieter than my Kokomo (which perhaps strongly suggests that the Kokomo should come out!). It does cost £595 however.....

I have a Kokomo bearing on my 301 which I was initially very impressed by, but I'm still working up the courage to pull it apart and see if it's done any damage, following the reports mentioned.

I've also just been playing with RedBeard Analogue's Super Bearing which is truly magnificent and massively quieter than my Kokomo (which perhaps strongly suggests that the Kokomo should come out!). It does cost £595 however.....

thanks for the response! It would be great if you could give that bearing a look and maybe take some photos. I would be VERY interested in your findings. the redbeard sounds enticing but at 595 quid I dont thik I'll be trying one soon! maybe we can see if they would be interested in donating one to the "official" Garrard 301/401 owners club for proper testing! hahahaha I doubt it!

thanks to everyone for the interest and participation. we are brainstorming an official Garrard 301/401 owners club secret handshake now , your decoder rings are already in the mail.

count me in...

Hey folks, great idea. I recently obtained a 401 and built myself a plywood plinth and mounted a 12" cherry tonearm from Tonearm Audio. Have a Denon 103R cart on it. Pretty fantastic. Here are a couple of pics below.

On the Kokomo kit, I understand the Mk2 version does away with the ceramic ball and has a floating oil "hydraulic" method. I've ordered one to check it out, after considering the other version with the bronze ball, which is certainly less expensive, but does not include the heavy bronze thrust plate. I figure it's reversible, so I will experiment with it. Will keep you posted on progress once it arrives and gets installed and played for a while.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0399.jpg
    IMG_0399.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 208
A slate plinth came up locally and I just got it set up. Still fine-tuning.

Damn, I really need to get a real rack already! :rolleyes:

My only tweak so far is a shim cut from a yogurt carton to fit my tonearm to the mount (see second pic). :)

Garrard 301 013.jpg

Garrard 301 007.jpg

Last edited:
A slate plinth came up locally and I just got it set up. Still fine-tuning.

Damn, I really need to get a real rack already! :rolleyes:

My only tweak so far is a shim cut from a yogurt carton to fit my tonearm to the mount (see second pic). :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

DANG! that slate plinth is nice! congrants!! I would love to try out a slate plinth on the 401. thats the schick arm right? sure looks great.

Back
Top Bottom