Sansui 8080DB revews?

michaelhigh

mind's eye music
I own an 8080DB, absolutely love it, and I realize that many consider it a very worthwhile receiver to own and love. I'm curious about how others who own it feel about the receiver in general and specifically, and as I Google and Yahoo away I find very little in the way of personal reviews or testimonials, despite the fact that they (and their bigger sibling the 9090DB) are among the most popular Sansuis ever made in the 70's. Does anyone have any sources for reviews from back in the day, a la Stereo Review, etc.? I'd be interested what Julian Hirsch or Arthur Salvatore (flamesuit on) or their ilk would have said about my beloved 8080DB upon it's arrival to market. I'm told that the two Sansuis are identical save for the power supply that gives the 9090DB a wattage edge. Anyone? :scratch2:

Ive been listening to a 9090DB all night while I have been helping AK'r Toby fix his AU-999, the damn thing kicks ass......pumping though a pair of JBL4410A's
Bit of Black Crowes, and Humble Pie.......yeah its been a rockin night....

You are lucky to have a dB receiver that works properly. There were some issues with them. There are feedthru connections that connect the traces on both sides of the Dolby board. They were a primitive technology at the time and they go bad and become intermittent, causing channels to drop out. To fix it you have to resolder every feedthru on the Dolby board. Sansui realized the problem in mid - production and improved the feedthrus, so yours must be one of the good ones. Otherwise, they are nice receivers with a very sensitive tuner.

There are older threads here with satisfied owners that I found helpful, I just like reading about my gear in audio publications of the time as well as hearing from people who share my feelings about our good fortune and pride of ownership. That, along with excellent SQ, is among the reasons I participate in this hobby, aside from the fact that I'm a musician and I use my gear the way a mechanic or carpeter would use his tools, as part of my trade.

You are lucky to have a dB receiver that works properly. There were some issues with them. There are feedthru connections that connect the traces on both sides of the Dolby board. They were a primitive technology at the time and they go bad and become intermittent, causing channels to drop out. To fix it you have to resolder every feedthru on the Dolby board. Sansui realized the problem in mid - production and improved the feedthrus, so yours must be one of the good ones. Otherwise, they are nice receivers with a very sensitive tuner.

This one I have here Warren has been restored a couple of years ago by Chris Ready, it has had everything done to it, everything works flawlessly..... even the veneer has been re-finished and looks nice....
The thing works perfectly........Lucky me.....especially since the owner wont be picking it up for a few months...

works flawlessly

The 8080DB is 90% of the 9090DB at 50% of the cost. It's a great receiver available at a reasonable cost. Enjoy it.

- Pete

Yup
I have (3) 990db's and (1) 890db...all meticulously restored…can’t tell the difference in sound from the 990db and 890db with any of my speakers.

The 8080DB is 90% of the 9090DB at 50% of the cost. It's a great receiver available at a reasonable cost. Enjoy it.

- Pete

I am so jazzed to know this, my Sansui and Klipsch Fortes are destined to be a legend in my own room!

The 8080DB uses the exact same preamp and amp topography as the 9090DB. In some ways it's actually better because the 8080DB doesn't have the tone range switches. They can cause distortion and dropped channels when they get old and oxidized. The main differences are:
8080DB
lower voltage power supply for 85 VS 125WPC
Lower capacity output transistors due to the lower output power
vinyl covered case vs wood case
one head phone jack vs two
No tone range switches

Everything else is identical, same tuner, same preamp, same phono preamp, same amp

-Pete

The 8080DB uses the exact same preamp and amp topography as the 9090DB. In some ways it's actually better because the 8080DB doesn't have the tone range switches. They can cause distortion and dropped channels when they get old and oxidized. The main differences are:
8080DB
No tone range switches

Everything else is identical, same tuner, same preamp, same phono preamp, same amp

-Pete
:banana:

In some ways it's actually better because the 8080DB doesn't have the tone range switches. They can cause distortion and dropped channels when they get old and oxidized.

-Pete
I agree…the tone range switches can cause some annoying problems. The simplicity without them is a pleasure.
As for “vinyl covered case vs wood case’ you can always ask a good wood working person to remove the vinyl and veneer the case with some exotic wood for a real cool look.

8080DB
No tone range switches

-Pete

Just picked up an 8080 and of course wanted a 9090, but after reading this thread, I'll be totally satisfied with the 8080 !!!!! Gonna re-veneer the cabinet with real walnut veneer...... When I do it, I'll start a thread on that... Dan :music:

Or, the 9090 case will fit perfectly. There are some minor differances, the edge bevel, but sometimes one can find a case inexpensively.

Or, the 9090 case will fit perfectly. There are some minor differances, the edge bevel, but sometimes one can find a case inexpensively.

Is the 9090 the same size as the 8080 ?? Is the only difference the bevel edge on the front ?? Will the screw holes line up ?? As always, thanks AUDIOKARMA guys for all the information !!!!! Dan :music:

I have both types of 9090's (db/ non) and guess the 8080 is (for all intents and purposes) so close it isn't funny. (If I'd of ran across an 8080 first,don't think I'd have bothered to get a 9090 I'm thinking....but helping a friend has me owning well.....too many.) One other thing too....besides output, they compare almost exactly to the sound of my G-9000.

You are sitting pretty and can pair with the hugest range of speakers IMHO.

Is the 9090 the same size as the 8080 ?? Is the only difference the bevel edge on the front ?? Will the screw holes line up ?? As always, thanks AUDIOKARMA guys for all the information !!!!! Dan :music:

Yes. Same size. I have a restored 9090db case on my cdfixer-restored 8080db.

Yes. Same size. I have a restored 9090db case on my cdfixer-restored 8080db.

Glad I saw this thread. I love the look of the 8080DB. But always wished it had a wood case. Especially since the vinyl is dented and peeling a bit on mine.
Yah, there keepers.

Back
Top Bottom