AK Speaker Favorites

Negotiableterms

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Subscriber
Throughout AK, there are a few vintage speakers that are clearly favorites. I'm thinking of HPM-100s, and AR9s, and a few others.

First, I'd like to compile a list, starting with the above (and this isn't scientific), so nominations are open. The list isn't going to be formalized.

Then, I'm wondering if there's ever been an attempt to figure out why? Do they have anything in common with one another? Is there a particular "sound" that sets them apart? Do they come from any common designer, or theory, or era? Are the response curves similar, or similarly flat, or...?

Now guys, this is a sincere inquiry, not any kind of challenge. I personally have never heard any of them, and do not disagree that they're good. So please, no flaming defenses of your own favorite, and no nasty comparisons.

All civilized input welcome!

Dynaco A25, Advent Loudspeaker, EPI 100 are some classic speaks that everyone should at least try. Tons were built.

Off the top of my head and IME:
Edgarhorn Titans, KEF 105, Quad ESL-57, Altec (coaxes or VOT), Polk Monitor 5/7/10, AR-3(a), DCM Timewindow, KLH 6, and any IMF, Braun/ads, EPI/Epicure, or Allison models you happen across.

I haven't heard AR-9's so I cannot comment on them.

JBL L26 is my all time favorite small speaker. It is sweet. Love that tweeter.

Altec A7 Voice of the Theater for all big speaker and I do mean big. I love horns . :D

Since you are limiting this to vintage I'll say Altec 604 co-ax based designs or Altec 19's. If I can circumvent your vintage rule just a touch I'd say Edgar Titans using vintage JBL alnico drivers are the top of the heap.

The best part about these hi-efficiency speakers besides outright performance is the kind of systems you can build around them - truly lets you take audio to a whole different level.

For strictly low level listening (not for I :) ), I'd agree with mrh and say Quad ESL57's.

Does 23 years count as vintage? Probably not, but I will still nominate my Energy 22's, with the caveat that you better have good components in front of them. NOT a speaker that will work well with a midline receiver. Better have at least 100 WPC too! But, they can do great things!
Erik

Edit: I guess these aren't vintage. But I was never satisfied with my Large Advents et al compared to these on my list.

Carver Amazings

Polk RTA 11
Klipsch Forte II
Visonik Davids 60/2 (second mini monitor using Braun - A/D/S drivers 50s were the first I believe.) My favorite mini-monitor period.

I would say A/D/S - Braun (large speakers), but they just seem too fragile. I am always afraid to jam my L520s.

I have a pair of HPM-500s and a pair of Infinity RS-5bs I can't wait to refoam and give a listen to.

Last edited:
I'll throw in some English vintage speakers from the mid to late 70s

Celestion Ditton 44, classic 12" 3 ways. smooth and accurate :thmbsp:

Lefty

I would be very interested in a poll, with the top 10, say. I think a poll can be added to a thread (not sure). I would like to see which ones would rise to the top.

I would like to add the EPI-A500s to the mix. So far, in a head-to-head against my AR9s, the EPIs eat their lunch. On the AR's side, however, I just refoamed them, and I want to give them a good break-in period before truly passing judgement. I refoamed the EPIs a few months ago, and they were initially shy, then just came too life, after a few weeks. I have been told that EPI was shooting at the AR9s when they came out with the A500s, and they did a good job too (10" woofers with a 12" passive on each side). At 1/2 the cabinet size, I must say I am blown away.

I'll thow in a very honorable mention for my JBL L3s. I just can't believe that sound comes from those little mini-towers.

I'll add my vote to my tower of HPM-100 power (triple stack, right now). They are still my favorites, by far.

Rich P

Last edited:
Well, there is the famous Klipsch Heresy group: K'horns, Belle. LaScala, Cornwall, Heresy.
There is the Bozak hertitage speakers: Concert Grands, Symphony and 302a.
AR: LST, MST, 3, 3a.
KLH: Nine, 12, 5, 6
Advent: The Advent Loudspeaker, The Smaller Advent Loudspeaker, The New Advent loudspeaker
Rectilinear: III
Dalhquist: DQ10
Quad: ESL, ESL63
Wharfedale W90, W70, W70D, W60, W60D (D series both original and MKII series)
Koss: Model 1
Acoustat: X
Martin-Logan: CLS series
Dayton Wright electrostatics
BES
JansZen: Z824HP, Z412, Z412HP
Landmarks: L200, L300 and RS Minimus 7 ( they defined the minimonitor as we know them today)
JBL: Paragon, Minigon
Altec: VoTT
Leak: Sandwich Speaker
BBC: LS3/5

How about another 1,500 or so: Jensen, Hartley, Frazier, EPI, Burhoe, Sequarra

As you can see in about 20 posts we will have a huge list of most the respected speakers. Without a poll function it is just a list.

As far as this web sites favorites, they've all been listed, but it seems like the ones that pop up all the time are:

AR9s
HPM 100s
Large Advents
Dynaco A25s
AR 3 (and others)
KLH 6
Dahlquist DQ 10s (did I spell that right?)
DCM Timewindows
Polk Monitor 7 and 10
And it seems I'm not the only fan of the A/D/S L710 - L810.
Maggies get a lot of talk too.

Ok, now that I look at it- not sure my list isn't biased. I own or have owned 5 of the speakers on my list of 11.

As for common threads- a lot of them have Henry Kloss associated with them.

This will be a fun one to watch.

Take care,

Ed

I'll also throw in the Large Advents. I guess it's the sign of a good speaker, but I'm constantly struck by how nice they sound when I fire up the stereo. I'd love to complement with them with a pair of Smalls. anyone want to sell? :D

I'm surprised noone's mentioned it, but the JBL L100 gets a lot of press around here. We also mustn't neglect some of the introductory speakers still favored by many such as the Sansui SP-1500/2500 and another Kloss influenced design, the Boston Acoustics A-70s.

I think it'd be interesting to see such a listing of the more popular speakers with approximate production numbers in addition to the specs and such. It seems, as per common sense, that the more available a decent vintage speaker is, the more fans you have of it.

- JP

Some of the most popular vintage speakers with AK members seem to be:

Radio Shack Mach one's
Pioneer HPM-100's
AR-9's
Altec 19's seem to have only a few fans (I'm one)
& Everything Advent.

I've owned HPM-100's and those DO deserve their reputation! I've never owned AR-9's but those are fantastic speakers as well.

Mach One guys, please take no offense but I also owned these popular speakers and I just did'nt like them.

Russ

Wardsweb said:
JBL L26 is my all time favorite small speaker. It is sweet. Love that tweeter.

Altec A7 Voice of the Theater for all big speaker and I do mean big. I love horns . :D

I gotta second that! The little L26 is one of JBL's best "little" bookshelf systems. My brother found a near mint pair and I told him to keep them for life.
I love horns too! Preferably cast-aluminum-sectoral ones :D

Russ

Back
Top Bottom