Official Grateful Dead Thread

make that 72-79 and I agree :smoke:

Make that <1974 and I agree. (Don't know when to call the exact start... '65? '66? Anyway, I love all the early stuff, and I love everything through '74. After that not so much. Mars Hotel is the end of the best for me.)

My first Dead show was the wall of sound Oct (I think) 1973 in Madison WI. They were off that night. Or I was too stoned.

Best for me was Jan 1978 Milwaukee Auditorium, some of the songs are on one of the DP series. Jerry was on fire. I was working for a Madison WI newspaper covering the show and was right down in the trench in front of the stage.

I like pretty much all eras, other than the post-Brent era. But I love me some 80's GD too, and I totally dig 76-78 when the mood is right. I actually like 60's GD less than any other era except 90's.

The '69-72 Dead were a powerhouse. By early '73 Pig was too sick to be of much use and they would never be the same band without him.

I need to know when Time Fades Away wil finally be released digitally.

Never is my guess. I have loads of material from that SG tour and the bright moments were few & far between. The material that went into the LP could have been better; I have heard better versions of the material included on the LP from other dates of that tour; additional material not included in the original LP would be an even better idea and the one good reason to reissue the darned thing: added bonus tracks. Ah, whatever, there's so much excellent Neil and Neil + CH out in the ether for us already.

Never is my guess. I have loads of material from that SG tour and the bright moments were few & far between. The material that went into the LP could have been better; I have heard better versions of the material included on the LP from other dates of that tour; additional material not included in the original LP would be an even better idea and the one good reason to reissue the darned thing: added bonus tracks. Ah, whatever, there's so much excellent Neil and Neil + CH out in the ether for us already.

That may be but I NEED Times Fades Away digital remastered just as is.

Bonus tracks and better versions I'll gladly buy but would want it seperate.
(I think we will get this)

I don't know if we will ever get Times Fades Away as is remastered.

The '69-72 Dead were a powerhouse. By early '73 Pig was too sick to be of much use and they would never be the same band without him.

Yeah, I though about streaching the golden era from 69 to 79 instead of from 72-79.

I think you are right, we need to go back to 69.

68-95 but esp 68-73. melikes that ol 77 in a big way too.

Playin' in the cage today:

Show #12 from Europe '72: The Complete Recordings

L'Olympia, Paris, France (5/4/1972)

GRA9900057.jpg

Blasting out of the den right now:

Carousel Ballroom Feb. 14, 1968

same show as Road Trips Vol. 2 No. 2 but mine's the Charlie Miller remaster

Available at bt.etree.org in the gd_1968_project_1 torrent

2264649871_7bab1968b8.jpg

Last edited:
I just played that Carousel Ballroom Feb. 14, 1968 show again :music:

It rocks damn hard for The Dead and is my new favorite early Dead show.
I'm going to play this show many more times.

Read this review here then get this show here or stream it here.

You owe it to yourself if you like live Dead.

horse.gif

OT - That's It For The Other One was playing (on my stereo) while Selene opened her wrist to awaken Count Victor in the movie Underworld - very dark
*****************************************************************************************************************
(Review stub from thebestofwebsite.com)
The set begins with the suite of "That's It For The Other One>
i. Cryptical Envelopment
ii. The Other One
iii. Cryptical Envelopment." The version has a real hard rock feel to it. The energy and intensity could fit on a Black Sabbath album.

Last edited:
I love the Disco Dead era from 1977-1981. Some great, fluid shows. Red Rocks '78 being a shiny example.

Still - the Grateful Dead was really on to something circa 1968. No other psychedelic band came close with the possible exception of the 13th Floor Elevators.

Anthem of the Sun was the Dead at their creative/musical peak. That "thick air" sound they got was/is downright spooky. Like rolling down a grassy hill on a hot summer night only to splash into an alligator-infested swamp. But the water's warm, man.

I love the Disco Dead era from 1977-1981. Some great, fluid shows. Red Rocks '78 being a shiny example.

Still - the Grateful Dead was really on to something circa 1968. No other psychedelic band came close with the possible exception of the 13th Floor Elevators.

Anthem of the Sun was the Dead at their creative/musical peak. That "thick air" sound they got was/is downright spooky. Like rolling down a grassy hill on a hot summer night only to splash into an alligator-infested swamp. But the water's warm, man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7k-DUMWCUQ

checkout the colorful guy dancing in the first minute

Best Dead show I ever saw:

Grateful Dead - Capitol Theatre, Passaic NJ, June 19, 1976

Set One:
Help On The Way [4:34];
Slipknot! [7:18] ;
Franklin's Tower [9:34];
The Music Never Stopped [5:10] ; [3:13] ; Brown Eyed Women [4:43] ; [1:41] ;
Cassidy [4:12]
They Love Each Other [6:54] ; [1:43] ;
Looks Like Rain [7:09] ; [1:21] ;
Tennessee Jed [8:12] ; [2:10] ;
Playing In The Band [17:38#]

Set Two:
Might As Well [5:44] ; [1:28] ;
Samson And Delilah [6:17] ; [1:36] ;
High Time [9:17] ; [1:38] ;
Let It Grow [6:04] ;
Drums [3:24] ;
Let It Grow [3:03]
Dancing In The Street [10:05];
Drums [0:11] ;
Cosmic Charlie [7:58] ; [3:32] ;
Around And Around [6:22] ;
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad [7:06] ; One More Saturday Night [4:16]

Encore:
Not Fade Away

I was happy to find the Rhino remaster of "Workingman's Dead" in the mailbox yesterday afternoon. It's definitely on my to-do list for today.

I like jumping around from era to era with the Dead. They all have something to offer. They would change their sound and texture somewhat, but never completely abandon any of their vital elements.

I particularly like 1969 as shows reflect the toning down of Acid Rock and the advent of the roots sound with Workingman's.

Late 70s is fun because their sabbatical had rested them and Jerry's health issues were still years away.

And I even like the 80s as that is when I was able to see them.

There are a lot of good selections mentioned on this thread. I'm 57 & saw a dozen or so shows from '73 till '85 or so. I work with a younger crowd, many of whom love the Dead but never got to see JG play. One of the guys has been playing Ipod files of old shows during my shift, it's funny how well I remember some of those tunes I haven't heard in years.

I like jumping around from era to era with the Dead. They all have something to offer.

You'll like Taper's Section at dead.net :thmbsp:

copy/paste intro from Taper's Section:

In this space, every Monday, you will find information on the recorded history of the Grateful Dead’s music as it pertains to that week, specifically focusing on the shows for that week, through the band’s 30 year performing history, that reside in the Grateful Dead’s storied tape vault. Although not everything is in there, with more than 1,600 of the band’s 2,400-odd shows represented, there is plenty about which to talk. Check back weekly for new entries and insight into the vault, as well as exclusive audio clips relating to that week in the Grateful Dead’s recorded history.

currently playing the Charlie Miller master of Boston Tea Party - 12/31/69 on the puter.

It was an Owsley "Bear" Stanley recording.

Here's some Bear info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owsley_Stanley
http://www.thebear.org/musicintro.html
http://www.thebear.org/albums.html
http://www.thebear.org/GDLogo.html
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/12/MNGK0QV7HS1.DTL&ao=all

He got busted in 1967 for his personal use stash - 350,000 doses of LSD and 1,500 doses of STP

Bear’s Choice blotter - 400 squares

bears-choice-both-side-web.jpg

But the water's warm, man.

that's awesome

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom