McIntosh Wood Cabinet Dimensions

dan8drums

I was wondering if anyone out there knows a website or a link where I can find dimensions for vintage Mac receivers and tube amps of the wood cabinets or other vintage stereos that require wood cabinets.

Thanks for any info,

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry Dewick has a list of which cabinet fits which component for Mcintosh. I'm not sure about other brands.

Ofery,
Thanks for the site. I have already been there. That is what I am trying to do also but I do not have the funds to buy all the different MAC's out there and get the dimensions.
I just enjoy wood working and have some really neat veneers I would like to do on these beautiful pieces of stereos.
Thanks,
Dan

You could try the link to his site at the bottom of this page :thmbsp:

The macintoshaudio site is down for me at 6:00 AM Central time.

I have the dimensions of the L12, a cabinet that fits a whole bunch of early McIntosh gear. I think I read somewhere that McIntosh still sells the L52A which is similar to the L12. The L12 was the only case that used the wood wedge feet.

The overall case dimensions are 17" wide x 13 5/8" deep x 6 1/2" tall. The opening on the front is 15 1/2" wide x 5" tall. It is open on the back. There is a screen on top that is 1 1/2" from the back and measures 14" wide x 5 1/2" deep. The opening on the bottom is 11" wide x 9 1/2" deep. The thickness of the wood is 3/4" The second picture shows the classic slanted wood legs. Later versions just had rubber feet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 103_0688.jpg
    103_0688.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 359
  • 103_0686.jpg
    103_0686.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Wgrr,
Thank you so much for the dimensions. I will definetly use that one.
Great discription of the dimensions. That will help a lot.
Do you know what other models this will fit?
Thanks again,
Dan

Glad to help :thmbsp:

And the link I was talking about earlier is down to the right, DeWick Repair, that is Terry's site :yes:

Wgrr,

Thanks for the dimensions of the Mac cabinet. Do you know the size of the angled legs.
As far as height and width and thickness. I already have my auto cad drawing done and just need those final dimensions.
Thanks,
Dan

Wgrr,

Thanks for the dimensions of the Mac cabinet. Do you know the size of the angled legs.
As far as height and width and thickness. I already have my auto cad drawing done and just need those final dimensions.
Thanks,
Dan

I will measure them this evening and post it up for you. I can also give you more of a description of how the screen is mounted. My camera died :tears: so no pictures until I get a new one.

I recently got a MR67 Tuner and the person who sold it to me told me that he had found it in very bad conditions and that the cabinet was discarded, so I took on the task of getting the dimensions to make a drawing and look for a carpenter who build it the closest thing to the original, thanks to wgrr for the dimensions and VintageMac in another post was given the task of measuring the wooden legs of your Tuner.

Once the information was gathered I decided to draw a drawing in AutoCAD with the dimensions in meters and inches and I leave it here in case someone else is useful.

If someone notices that some dimension is incorrect please tell me to correct the drawing.

upload_2018-3-12_16-28-49.png

A question and a bit of info as well.

1) Does anyone know a source of dimensions for the L22 cabinet? It was used with the MC2200 power amp, but isn't listed with the other more common cabinet references.

2) I was going to build slant legs for my L12 MX-110 case, but someone pointed me to the info which suggests that the plastic feet were used instead (at least for my early generation of MX-110.)

An another cabinet thread here - which is no closed to comments - the question "What is the correct size screw for the plastic feet?" was raised.

According to Ryan at Audio Classics, who told me I could use my spare set of MC-2205 1 inch plastic feet for the L12 case - the answer is:

"1 inch black ones. Screws are #10/32 or
#10/15 metal thread."

(Thanks Ryan!)

How can the MAC 1500, 1700 and 1900 all use the same case?
With the MAC 1700's tubed tuner shouldn't the top screen be over the tuner's tubes and not towards the rear?
I can understand that the tubed 1500 needs it over the output tubes, but I am having a custom cabinet made for my MAC 1700 and I am wondering where to put the top screen?

How can the MAC 1500, 1700 and 1900 all use the same case?
With the MAC 1700's tubed tuner shouldn't the top screen be over the tuner's tubes and not towards the rear?
I can understand that the tubed 1500 needs it over the output tubes, but I am having a custom cabinet made for my MAC 1700 and I am wondering where to put the top screen?
Would having the cabinet made with two top screens make more sense, it would provide ventilation for the tuner's tubes?

Would having the cabinet made with two top screens make more sense, it would provide ventilation for the tuner's tubes?
After speaking to the guy, who is making me a custom cabinet, I am going to have him make the top screen nearly twice the size of the screen in the
original cabinet or about 10 inched deep, which will not affect the stability of the cabinet, but will allow for ventilation of the tuner's tubes.
The three "hot spots" on the top of my 1700 are the rear right, where the big transformer is, the rear left over the output transistors and 2 inches off the front over the tuner's tubes. Like chicken soup, it can't hurt.

My c20 has a faceplate that measures
14.75 x 4.75, does anyone know what model case fits this wonderful vintage pre amp. I have looked around but no
Luck finding the info yet.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom