since the last 80´s up this week, paying THE COMPLETION

BACKWARD PRINCIPLE by THE TUBES.

sounds still VERY impressive

Redwine

Hi everybody!
During the '80s I had these TTs:
Cybernet CP-100(belt drive)
Marantz TT-2000(direct drive)
Sansui P-707(direct drive).All given to get other vintage items.
Until the latest '90s i had these:
Technics SL-1300(servo drive)
Technics SL-1301(quartz)
Bang and Olufsen...something.Also,all given (and i'm still cryin' for
that!)
Now,finally,I kept some for myself and I hope will be no divorce in
the future!
Akai AP-005(belt drive)('76)
Lenco L-82(belt drive)('76 or older,i'm not sure)
Marantz model 6110(belt drive)('76)
JVC QL-A2(quartz)
Technics SL-1200MK2
I guess we all love TTs much more than CD players.I wish you
many happy hours of listening!

Technics SL-Q2 I bought new.
Technics SL-1800
AT LC in both, Good sound for the $$ May try a grado in the future
Did not like the last one i had years ago. Any input would be welcome. I do miss my old AT MC Circa 1982.

Turntables I have

I have many tables over the years. My current line up include:

1. Nad built by Rega
2. Dual 1229
3. Dual 1009,much like my high school 1010s
4. Miracord 50H

All are hooked up and in running condition. Working on a Miracord 10. Had a Thorens TD-160 and probably will have one again. Had some mass marketed Pioneers and Technics too numerous to mention. If they have electronic controls I wont look at it. A good vintage table without electronics maintained properly will outlast me!!!!:D :D :D

Added an antiskate to my DIY hybrid AR-Pioneer (see previous posts). The antiskate came from a dead Kenwood KD1033 and is a hanging-weight type. These work well if properly strung so that any movement of the weight is damped by the tension of the line.

Works great and only took about 12 hours for the epoxy to cure! (I wasn't about to drill a hole in that beautiful tonearm,)

Thorens 125-II, SME 3009 Series 2, Shure V15-VxMR
Thorens125II.gif

Last edited:
tt

I have a mcs 6401 and a jvc al-a158...both with audio-technica stuff.....these look alot like technics tts....does anyone know who made them??thnx

Hey kkib,

That thorens looks flawless! Have you had it for long? Classic combo that.

cheers
Jack

Hey jack,

Not for too long, I had it for 4-5 months. I got it from an old
lady who responded to my ad in the local newspaper for
Klipsch Conwalls. I first bought a nice pair of '84 Cornwalls
from her, then I went back for the Thorens and Crown
300A 150 amp, preamp combo (I havn't used the Crown
stuff though).

I really like the Thorens TT so much that thats all I listen
to lately. In fact I have some Janis Ian spining at the moment
before I head to work.

Cheers, kkib.

Kkib,

Sounds like you've done well. I've always wondered how a comparison between the TD160S and the TD125II would go. I know I prefer the looks of the TD125II. Keep on enjoying it! :)

cheers
Jack

PS. I have a feeling that I know the LP that's spinning on your deck. Don't tell me! I'll see if it comes to me over the weekend.

I have TD125MK and love it. The 160 is a superb table but man I tell you what the 125 is just in another league. Could have something to do with the SME 3009 on the 125 ;)

Could have something to do with the SME 3009 on the 125

Hey, no fair!:mad: :D

Actually, I was thinking maybe the 160 Super with all the "tweaks" as standard plus it's better bearing, might get a bit closer to the 125.

grumps, where do you think the 125 was better,if you could pick one or two areas?

cheers
Jack

IMO I just like the sheer weight of the 125. I think its roughly 30 pounds versus the 160's 15 pounds or so. I believe that extra weight isolates vibration much better which equates to better sound. I also Like the adjustable pitch control which others hate on the 125. Mine is rock steady. Lastly the build quality of the 125 trounces the 160. Again for all you guys who love your 160 I am not knocking them. I just feel the 125 was a better mouse trap.

One of the things that bugs me about the 125 or any Thorens for that matter is the lack of quality feet. The 125 or atleast mine has 4 felt pads on the bottom. Its not too big of a deal to me since i use mine with a set of Audio Technica's isolation feet on the bottom. They help a great deal. I recomend these to any one for most turntables.

Thanks for the comments Grumps. Hope you don't find yourself alone in a room with half a dozen 160 owners then. ;)

Fair point about the feet. The 160S has felt feet too but supposedly larger than the standard 160. Felt feet nevertheless.

I had a problem with footfalls which got a bit better with a Mission isoplat and it improved more with the AT feet so I would second your recommendation for those handy little devils.

All problems cured by going over to the SP10!:p:

cheers
Jack

Matt's TT's

My old faithfull is my beloved Sansui SR-2050C
But I've picked up a Denon DP-45F recently that although lacking in "Vintage Cache" gives me more bang for my 20 CDN yardsale dollars than anything I've ever owned!
Matt

Back
Top Bottom