New Category: TAPE find of the day?!?

eddisc

We've all had OR heard about them: NOS 111's, 207's, 632's etc. etc. WHAT I propose is a list for newly discovered recordings found on tapes acquired from some other party unknown to us.

What's inspired this for me is just now finding on "ferrodynamics" 7" spool a listing of: "Shadow - Murder Has Eight Arms; Cisco Kid - Cisco Meets His Sister; Shadow - Hypnotized Audience; RED SKELTON - May 5, 1942" !!!
VERY excited to spool it up. In the same lot, I've found VOLUNTEERS, TOMMY and J C SUPERSTAR (Scotch 150 1800'). Plus 3 other Scotch in pristine cond. w/o any writing????:thmbsp:

OH yeah! The days of paying $2.15 for blank:yes::yes:

Attachments

• DSCN1248_228.JPG
    DSCN1248_228.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 492
I recently picked up a load of vintage stereo stuff and included was a Pioneer RT707 and a couple hundred tapes..
After repairing the 707 I have found some really great 60's compilations and some excellent live jazz recordings.
This was in the first 5 or so reels.
This was just a little before my time so i have a lot to learn about the machines and the media.

I recently picked up a load of vintage stereo stuff and included was a Pioneer RT707 and a couple hundred tapes..
After repairing the 707 I have found some really great 60's compilations and some excellent live jazz recordings.
This was in the first 5 or so reels.
This was just a little before my time so i have a lot to learn about the machines and the media.

GET THYSELF PREPARED!!! IT'S LOADS OF FUN!!!:yes::D:yes::D:music:

today's is on electrocraft 7":

Blues Project: Live at The Cafe' au Go-Go
The Cake: The Cake (w/ Mocking Bird!!!)
Lulu: (sings) To Sir With Love*
Julie Driscoll w/Brian Auger & The Trinity
Ultimate Spinach: Behold & See (!!! I recently skipped a $25 3.75ips on the bay for their first release. SHOCKED to just see they released in rtr!)

* ALWAYS Loved the lyric: "How do you thank someone who's taken you from crayons to perfume" :thmbsp::yes::thmbsp: Great visuals as well. (JUST now hearing 'it': very over modulated!! bummer)

Last edited:
today's is on electrocraft 7":
Blues Project: Live at The Cafe' au Go-Go
The Cake: The Cake (w/ Mocking Bird!!!)
Lulu: (sings) To Sir With Love*
Julie Driscoll w/Brian Auger & The Trinity
Ultimate Spinach: Behold & See (!!! I recently skipped a $25 3.75ips on the bay for their first release. SHOCKED to just see they released in rtr!)

That first Ultimate Spinach album was pretty damn good!

On Scotch 150 1800 footer: CHICAGO II, THREE DOG NIGHT: IT AIN'T EASY & IN CONCERT (LIVE AT THE FORUM) and JANIS - PEARL.
VERY GOOD RECORDINGS, NO RESIDUE IN T/P, + LOTS OF 'left-over' blank after PEARL

Last edited:
another one on the world famous ELECTRICRAFT Gold Label:
Beatles! not GREAT quality, but good enuf! 3-3/4 from lp and a nice surprise:thmbsp::music::thmbsp:

Attachments

• DSCN1295_262.jpg
    DSCN1295_262.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 188
Not a recent find but definitely one of the more interesting of recent history. A trunk full of recording studio discards appeared at the flea market from which I pulled, as well as a few other unknown artists;

Arkestra0002.jpg

Arkestra0001.jpg

Arkestra0003.jpg

The live recording is uploaded here;

http://www.divshare.com/download/16587009-a62

We've all had OR heard about them: NOS 111's, 207's, 632's etc. etc. WHAT I propose is a list for newly discovered recordings found on tapes acquired from some other party unknown to us.

Okay I am trying to get a handle on what qualifies for this topic.

How about if the seller has tapes that are marked but they have no knowledge or cant verify the true contents? If I bought the tapes and they did have the stated recordings is that okay to post here?

Okay I am trying to get a handle on what qualifies for this topic.

How about if the seller has tapes that are marked but they have no knowledge or cant verify the true contents? If I bought the tapes and they did have the stated recordings is that okay to post here?

Y ask Y ? Post, listen:music:post :music:repeat often

I scored a couple of very nice reels where someone recorded a bunch of the Holland LP Beatles Box for $10 a tape. I bought them with the notion I would use them as blank ape if they didn't sound good, but they are nice 7.5 ips recordings. The guy should have recorded with the levels higher, but still a nice listen, I don't plan to record over them any time soon ;)

I scored a couple of very nice reels where someone recorded a bunch of the Holland LP Beatles Box for $10 a tape. I bought them with the notion I would use them as blank ape if they didn't sound good, but they are nice 7.5 ips recordings. The guy should have recorded with the levels higher, but still a nice listen, I don't plan to record over them any time soon ;)
UNrelated - but just started recording The Rolling Stones Story box set I found in a warehouse; booklet & "Between The Buttons" missing... Doing 10" 7.5ips w/dbx I :banana: (gettin' ya-ya's out)

A couple of blues artists 'live' from the radio.

B. B. King live in London from 78, 7 1/2 ips- a bad edit when the tape ran out and was flipped over

Howlin' Wolf live from Ebbett's field. If I remember, Hubert Sumlin and Willie "Big Eyes" Smith were on there playing with him.

It's A Beautiful Day on another.

I bought about 80 7" tapes about 2 years ago, as I only had a few 10.5's that I did not want to record over. I thought the 7" ones would be fair game, but after I got them home, found a lot of good music-subjective of course. I can't even seem to bring myself to record over some jazz and classical, neither of which I am fond of.....

Makes no sense-just the way my mind works, I suppose.

I recently got 11 reels of 10.5 inch, and have been listening to them for a couple of weeks now. All recorded at 3 3/4, so that's a lot of listening. Recorded pretty well too.

Now I just picked up about 50 7" tapes-much older, with some needle drops, and a lot of others with cryptic contents listed. I know one tape notes recorded at 1 7/8, which I do not have the capability to play at the moment. If I find a cool surprise, I will post it here.

The surprising thing to me is how much I am fascinated by listening to what others have recorded 30-50 years ago. It's like an audio scrap book of sorts....

Image2.jpg

15ips 4 channel live recordings of the Chicago Civic Orchestra also marked as sub-masters. One unmarked tape has the Beethoven Elgmont Overture & Copland Appalachian Spring.

I got 6 reels of this stuff - the tape is back coated but no SSS. Very decent recordings complete with coughs from audience and shuffling about noises from the orchestra. I haven't determined yet if the Quad mix was well-engineered or if they just placed 4 microphones around the stage. But they are still fun to listen to.

Sweet! :music:

Back
Top Bottom