Need help picking a DIY kit for tube headphone amp

ikorman

Folks, I would like to attempt a build of a tube headphone amp. I listen to headphones quite a bit so it makes no sense to run the whole big amp to do that. Also, I just discovered tube sound with a Heathkit AA-121, and I am not going back to solid state...

So, where do I find a kit for a nicer tube headphone amp? I head stuff for $50 has drawbacks, so I might as well spend a bit more and get something without compromising. Any help will be appreciated.

Check out Pete Millett's "Jonokuchi" headphone amp. I have heard good things about that one. Pete sells the circuit board on ebay - just do a search on "Jonokuchi." It requires more than a $50 investment, but looks like a high quality design.

+1 on the Jonokuchi. I built one and it sounds very good. It also doubles as a low power SET speaker amp. It's also an easy build.
Al

Just for follow-up...

I ordered all the stuff for Jonokuchi and most of it already get delivered, only thing missing are transformers. Dang! Five-six weeks wait sucks. So I got a Bellari HA540 to keep me company till the Jonokuchi gets done. Bellari sounds really great with my ATH-M35 cans. Makes me wonder why I spent close to $300 for Jonokuchi parts, but I haven't done the comparison yet...

I built the Starving Student, the "Super Simple 6dj8" and a Bijou.

My favorite was the "Super Simple", although it needed a really good tube in there to really shine (JAN 6922 worked really well in my case). Parts cost was around $70 including the enclosure. You could also look on eBay for 6dj8 headphone amps and put good parts in the signal path, they cost around $80 as well.

Just for follow-up...

I ordered all the stuff for Jonokuchi and most of it already get delivered, only thing missing are transformers. Dang! Five-six weeks wait sucks. So I got a Bellari HA540 to keep me company till the Jonokuchi gets done. Bellari sounds really great with my ATH-M35 cans. Makes me wonder why I spent close to $300 for Jonokuchi parts, but I haven't done the comparison yet...

I just finished the Jonokuchi today, what a feat for me, a lame amateur! I decided to perform the described mod to get rid of the hum. I screwed up at first, leaving the left channel with a resistor still in place so the right channel was 6db louder till I figured out what's wrong.

Either way, the long-awaited comparison with Bellari and Jonokuchi is trailing. Even with the mod, Jonokuchi has the hum. Bellari is DEAD quiet. Musically, they are about the same, at least to my ear.

I am keeping Jonokuchi, however. If just to play with small speakers. I will run the internal speaker wiring tomorrow and try something small with it. I doubt it can run my Klipsch Heresy pair, but let's see...

As I have been using Sennheiser Headphones for over 35 years, I would definately go with the Bottlehead "Crack" HP amp.

Best Regards,
TerryO

As I have been using Sennheiser Headphones for over 35 years, I would definately go with the Bottlehead "Crack" HP amp.

Best Regards,
TerryO

I heard great things about this, but 2 headphone amps is enough for me. Running out of room over here!

Bottlehead Crack or the SEX amp. I built the SEX amp and really love it, it's dead quiet, the Crack kit is the most popular kit from them. Bottlehead kit instructions are very very easy to follow almost idiot proof. Check out their web site lots of happy customers.

i got an email from bottlehead saying they're offering free speedball upgrade for the crack amp now.

I just finished the Jonokuchi today, what a feat for me, a lame amateur! I decided to perform the described mod to get rid of the hum. I screwed up at first, leaving the left channel with a resistor still in place so the right channel was 6db louder till I figured out what's wrong.

Either way, the long-awaited comparison with Bellari and Jonokuchi is trailing. Even with the mod, Jonokuchi has the hum. Bellari is DEAD quiet. Musically, they are about the same, at least to my ear.

I am keeping Jonokuchi, however. If just to play with small speakers. I will run the internal speaker wiring tomorrow and try something small with it. I doubt it can run my Klipsch Heresy pair, but let's see...

ikorman,

Did you see this thread with the reply from Pete Millet? (Look at post #68)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/182269-jonokuchi-new-desktop-amp-little-red-board-7.html

Hopefully you can get your hum issue sorted out. You at least have to be proud of building your first amp!

Back
Top Bottom