Is 600 bucks a good price to pay for a Pioneer SX-1250?

Dr.Stache

Cosmetically its flawless. Sounds great too. I told the guy I'd let him know in the morning if I wanted it. Everything seems to work and it drives 4 Klipschs 4.2's he has like it aint even trying. So, good deall fellas?

If it's cosmetically flawless and is 100% functional, I'd think that's a fair deal. You probably could get one cheaper but then you have to factor in the shipping costs, possible misrepresentation, and risk of damage in transit. Heck, offer the seller $500 and see if there's any wiggle room in the price. Not having to pack up a beast like a 1250 is worth some negotiation, IMHO.

If it's cosmetically flawless and is 100% functional, I'd think that's a fair deal. You probably could get one cheaper but then you have to factor in the shipping costs, possible misrepresentation, and risk of damage in transit. Heck, offer the seller $500 and see if there's any wiggle room in the price.

There's no wiggle room. It is flawless but my concerns lie here.......If this thing breaks, I've looked around and a restoration costs about as much as I'd pay him for it. It has never had any sort of cap restorations, etc. That scares me. I'm wondering If an SX-950 would make more sense. Maybe that would be a cheaper to fix/restore if I problem arose.

There's no wiggle room. It is flawless but my concerns lie here.......If this thing breaks, I've looked around and a restoration costs about as much as I'd pay him for it. It has never had any sort of cap restorations, etc. That scares me. I'm wondering If an SX-950 would make more sense. Maybe that would be a cheaper to fix/restore if I problem arose.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong but, didn't both of those have some pretty unobtanium power modules?

A 950 won't be any cheaper to restore than a 1250 and it's never going to cost anywhere near $600 to go through one either.

I'll second the advice already given.

Pioneer's 80 series had the power modules. There isn't much in the 50 series besides a few components in the tuner that aren't available. No worse than most any vintage gear.

It all boils down to "do you want it?" I would buy it if I wanted it, for sure. It can be restored for alot cheaper than whoever quoted you the $600ish to do so.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong but, didn't both of those have some pretty unobtanium power modules?

I'm really not sure. I have seen a few people who restore the 1050, 1250 and it runs about 450 bucks. Thats a lot of money. Even for a Doctor.:D

Ive run 1250's for years, and ran 'em hard. never killed one. But theres a guy in New Orleans that I use to repair my audio gear who loves to mess with 'em. But so far, he's never touched a 1250 of mine. I think thats a very fair price. Really clean ones bring more than that.

Go 4 it or you'll always regret it:)
I got my Marantz 2385 like this and I was like you sitting on the Fence with what if this or what if that but I bit and I'm forever gratefull that I did for it's in mint shape and works perfectly for about the same price:)

Thanks for all your advice guys. I think im gonna jump on it and just take the risk. No risk, no reward, right?

I agree, $600 for sx-1250 that you can have auditioned and can pickup yourself looks likes a pretty good deal. I've just started watching the bay on prices for the Pioneer sx-xxxx receivers and it seems consistent.

However I've read quite a few posts here on AK that indicate that these older units need to be serviced regardless due to components inevitably going bad potentially destroying the receiver.

Ten years ago I could do a 1250 for $600. No longer.

I know ya'all don't mean any harm, but I'd be careful about making assumptions on what a restoration costs. It's a shitload of work and involves much more than swapping a bunch of caps. At least my restorations do.
need to be serviced regardless due to components inevitably going bad potentially destroying the receiver.
Unlikely, but a restoration is a good idea if you want to hear what the unit is supposed to sound like.

Ten years ago I could do a 1250 for $600. No longer.

I know ya'all don't mean any harm, but I'd be careful about making assumptions on what a restoration costs. It's a shitload of work and involves much more than swapping a bunch of caps. At least my restorations do.

:(.............Now im worried again, lol.

Buy it! It would cost a small fortune to ship and who knows if it makes it without damage. Picking up local saves a ton. I do know that the filter caps cost around 100.00 each at restoration time and there are 4 of them in the 1250. All mine were replaced. I look at it as a lifetime investment because I will never sell mine.:banana:
Good luck and post pictures.

Back
Top Bottom