EICO 667 tube tester

cc43fan

I'll sleep when I'm dead
Im thinking about purchasing one and I was hoping the faithful here would share their opinions, pros/cons, etc. also, if this wasn't your first choice for a tester, which one would be and how would it differ from the EICO 667?

As always, thanks to all for lending your thinking and knowledge :)

I own an Eico 667 which is super easy to calibrate and works great. I owned at least a dozen tube testers, and the Eico is a very nice tester. I would rank it as the second-best tester I've ever owned, the first being a military TV7 tube tester (although much more complex to calibrate and more expensive).

Another favorite of mine is the Jackson 648s, which is easier to use but not quite as popular as the Eico. It's tougher to calibrate than the Eico.

I have a 666 as back up to my 539C , been using it from the time i was 11 .Its basicly like a 667 but has 4 ,5 ,6 and 7 pin sockets , just a nice basic testor .

I have a 666 as back up to my 539C , been using it from the time i was 11 .Its basicly like a 667 but has 4 ,5 ,6 and 7 pin sockets , just a nice basic testor .

And those missing sockets wouldn't be a deal breaker for the majority of the types of tubes used in vintage HiFi, correct?

Not unless you plan on testing 2a3 or 300b tubes. Even in that case, you can easily make a 4-pin adapter for the 667.

So, I just bought a Hickok 600a for a fair price, I'll know in the next couple of hours if I own two tube testers....lol.

The 667 isn't a bad tester, but you should be aware that the roll charts may not be up to date. There is a more current version on BAMA (google it) that should be checked first if the one in your machine isn't the current revision. I've not had any trouble from my 667, but I did replace the cap and the rectifier when I got it, and did whatever the calibration process was. I forget specifics but it was really simple. One other trick I've learned is that you want to set the line voltage with a tube plugged in, and if you're doing multiple different tube type, check it periodically to make sure it hasn't drifted. The voltage scale on the dial is pretty much worthless too, so don't go by it.

667 are very good testers, as long as you take them for what they're worth. You didn't say what your intended use is, so just be aware they're emission testers, good for spotting worn out and shorted tubes. That was their design purpose, and they do it well. Don't expect more of them than that, and you'll be fine.

For the persons that have a Eico 666 or 667 where the meter is no working I did this modification on it.

100_4641.JPG

100_4642.JPG

100_4643.JPG

100_4644.JPG

Now the tube tester is working very well

If you guys need further information about the mods let me know!!

Regards

Neat meter replacement.

FWIW, the 666 and 667 are not emission testers. They're dynamic conductance, which is better than an emission tester, but not as specific as a true gm tester. One could almost get gm out of the things, save for the fact that some of the settings are limited to just a few specific values.

For the persons that have a Eico 666 or 667 where the meter is no working I did this modification on it.

100_4641.JPG

100_4642.JPG

100_4643.JPG

100_4644.JPG

Now the tube tester is working very well

If you guys need further information about the mods let me know!!

Regards
Hi, could you please give me a little more detail on how to change the meter to digital.
What type of meter
Where to buy it
And more detail how to connect it or rather retro fit it.
Is this the meter you used http://www.escol.com.my/Projects.html#Project__06
Just the meter or the complete unit
Any chance of pics from the underside detailing the fitment

Thanks & Cheers

Hello Whiting

Give me some time to show what I did, for now my agenda is very tight, probably next weekend I´ll post it.

Regards

What is that meter actually showing, plate current, or is it actually scaled across a resistor to be a 0-100% gauge? Does the leakage function still work as it would have originally?

Hello Gadget

Just the meter was replaced and some protections were added to save the pots, the measure is over the plate curremt.

See as follows:

666-667-mod.png

Back
Top Bottom