CA-1010 restoration/recap for The Fez

pete_mac

Hi all!

I usually hang around in the Sansui section mainly, but I recently had the privilege of working on a CA-1010 owned by 'The Fez'. She's a beauty and is in very very good condition for its age.

A peek under the cover:

ca1010inside1.jpg

A pair of big 18000uf power supply filter caps:

ca1010inside2.jpg

Note the level of detail here. The knobs on the front panel are connected to the switches on the actual PCB via metal rods and universal joints. The bean-counters wouldn't allow this kind of stuff these days!

ca1010inside3.jpg

The underside of the amp:

ca1010inside4.jpg

Some of the capacitors that will be going inside this sucker. Panasonic FC and FM caps, some Panasonic ECQ-V film caps, and also a bunch of Nichicon Muse ES bipolar caps and Nichicon Gold Tune 22000uf power suppply filter caps:

ca1010caps1.jpg

ca1010filtercaps2.jpg

ca1010filtercaps1.jpg

The driver boards are a bit of a pain in this model as the output transistors are mounted through the heatsink and into sockets on the driver board PCB. This necessitates the removal of the output transistors to access the rear of the driver boards. The upside is that there is no excuse for not fitting new thermal paste to each of the transistors when reinstalling them. The heatsinks look small in the pics but they are quite chunky with lots of thermal mass.

ca1010drivers.jpg

ca1010heatsinks.jpg

One set of output transistors:

ca1010ouputstrans1.jpg

New capacitors fitted to a driver board:

ca1010drivers1.jpg

The VD1212 diodes have also been replaced with a pair of series'd 1N4148 diodes which perform the same function and have the same voltage drop as the original VD1212s. These are more reliable and help to keep the bias rock-solid.

ca1010vd1212.jpg

The power supply/protection board has been fully recapped now.

ca1010recappedpsu.jpg

The output transistors have been cleaned, re-greased and re-seated. The original paste was quite dry and flaky so I'm glad that I was 'forced' to reseat them due to the driver board/heatsink design. Although, I always do the thermal paste regardless, so it's a moot point. Note where the anodising has faded over time.

ca1010transistor1.jpg

ca1010heatsinkcleaned.jpg

ca1010sankens.jpg

The lovely Nichicon Gold Tune caps are also now installed. The lugs on the caps required minor trimming to fit the PCB onto which they are mounted, but apart from judicious use of solderwick to remove the old solder (as well as me melting a bit of insulation on one of the orange wires... all fixed now though!) it was a fairly straight-forward job, albeit very time consuming! The fiddly stuff always takes far longer than anticipated, but of course the results are worth it. An AXON polypropylene bypass cap was installed across each of the filter caps for good measure.

ca1010filtercomparison2.jpg

ca1010bypass.jpg

Before:

ca1010inside2.jpg

After:

ca1010filtercapsinplace.jpg

They sure are big suckers! Noticeably taller than the original capacitors.

Dad (skippy124) then undertook one of his LED conversions (fully reversible if required).

CA_1010LEDmeterconversion.jpg

The end result after cleaning the faceplate and knobs/switch covers:

CA-1010finished.jpg

CA-1010finished2.jpg

CA-1010finished3.jpg

Very, very nice.

Now, I haven't looked at the schematic, and it's been a while since I did mine, but I see "outhouse" shaped transistors there. If any of them are SC458, best to get them replaced now before they go noisy.

Very, very nice.

Now, I haven't looked at the schematic, and it's been a while since I did mine, but I see "outhouse" shaped transistors there. If any of them are SC458, best to get them replaced now before they go noisy.

Thanks!

I'll check, but I'm fairly certain that there were no troublesome SC458s to be found.

Very, very nice.

What's the recommended replacement?

Hi all!

I usually hang around in the Sansui section mainly, but I recently had the privilege of working on a CA-1010 owned by 'The Fez'. She's a beauty and is in very very good condition for its age.

Are you ready to tackle a 2010 now? I've acquired one on behalf of the 'The Fez' - and the plan is to ship it to him. Not sure I want to part with it though... it is beyond "good condition for it's age." You couldn't get a better one if you went back in time and bought it new. Pics will be in the Yamaha photo thread soon...

Last edited:

KSC1845 should be readily available. SC2240 if you can find them. There are plenty of SC458 replacement threads in many of the forums. Caution with orientation, the old style SC458 printing is opposite modern transistors. ECB is the same, but flipped (BCE). Read the datasheets!

Are you ready to tackle a 2010 now? I've acquired one on behalf of the 'The Fez' - and the plan is to ship it to him. Not sure I want to part with it though... it is beyond "good condition for it's age." You couldn't get a better one if you went back in time and bought it new. Pics will be in the Yamaha photo thread soon...

Oooooh baby! Stephen mentioned this to me as I was about to recap his CA-810, but we have put this on-hold due to the possibility of sourcing a CA-2010.

Great stuff! :banana:

Very, very nice.

Thankfully there are none of those in the CA-1010

KSC1845 should be readily available. SC2240 if you can find them. There are plenty of SC458 replacement threads in many of the forums. Caution with orientation, the old style SC458 printing is opposite modern transistors. ECB is the same, but flipped (BCE). Read the datasheets!

I procured a couple of hundred 2SC2240's recently from a local supplier along with a quantity of the 2SA970 compliment for less than 10c each. Thought I'd stock up as the 2240's are no longer made.

Stephens 1010 turned out really well, and Pete did a great job on the recap.

And I know Stephen is super excited about the CA-2010:banana:

Cheers

John

Noted! Will print and file... with a post-it on the bench to remind me. ;)

Oooooh baby! Stephen mentioned this to me as I was about to recap his CA-810, but we have put this on-hold due to the possibility of sourcing a CA-2010.

Great stuff! :banana:

And I know Stephen is super excited about the CA-2010:banana:

Cheers

John

Well don't get too anxious! I'd like the chance to listen to the 2010 here for a bit! :music: It's gorgeous. But you knew that I'm sure... (pics are in the yamaha photo thread)

This looks like first class work. I really should tackle my own one o' these days.
Well done... and I'm saving this whole page for reference.

Tom

But what if there were? :D :D

Seriously– if it's not more than mildly off topic, Avionics, do you have a recommendation for a replacement? Do you recommend replacement? I bet 4seatpilot would like to know, too. Our CR-820's have a couple of these.

I really appreciate the other transistor replacement recommendations you gave me which are now powering my receiver.

KSC1845 and2SC2240 have been mentioned.

Thanks,
Steve

And I'm following this thread with intense interest, contemplating a first try at a recap. Very beneficial.

Iv'e used the 2SC2240's without any issues, they are fine as a replacement for the 2SC458's (and there aren't any 2SC458's in the CA-1010)

Cheers

John

But what if there were? :D :D

Seriously– if it's not more than mildly off topic, Avionics, do you have a recommendation for a replacement? Do you recommend replacement? I bet 4seatpilot would like to know, too. Our CR-820's have a couple of these.

I really appreciate the other transistor replacement recommendations you gave me which are now powering my receiver.

KSC1845 and2SC2240 have been mentioned.

Thanks,
Steve

And I'm following this thread with intense interest, contemplating a first try at a recap. Very beneficial.

Either one.Both are very good and ultra low noise.The KSC's are available at Mouser--My main shopping center.

Back
Top Bottom