What will happen to AU now?

But what is AU and what happened to it?
Is there a prize for resurrecting the oldest AK thread?

But what is AU and what happened to it?
Is there a prize for resurrecting the oldest AK thread?

Re-read post 15. AU = AudioUtopia. It died so AudioKarma could be born. For a prize, how about a used kleenex? ;) Just kidding, post your address, phone #, & social security #, & I'll mail you a peppermint. :D ;)

There ya are, you old fart. :D ;) It "kinda" hit me, about AKs 10th anniversary, when I posted here yesterday, but it didn't "really" register at the time. It's like an old TV, sometimes you have to whack me one, to see the whole picture. :D

I'm hanging over at Videokarma.org these days, as admin there. Life at the moment is just way too hectic to devote a lot of time to posting anywhere, with my wedding coming up on July 28.

If any of y'all are on facebook and would like to catch up with my antics :D send me a friend request (Tim Poliniak) . I'll be back around more to post when the colder weather hits, this old thing seems to be taking up more and more of my time these days ;)

100_1921.jpg

I got the Buick just over a year ago.....she hadn't moved under her own power since 1967, and was a desert derelict that is now running and driving with considerable hard work and parts investment.....

Actually, the garage is almost empty, since the Buick sits inside ;) . I've excised a lot from my life.....well, except the basement :D

I got the Buick just over a year ago.....she hadn't moved under her own power since 1967, and was a desert derelict that is now running and driving with considerable hard work and parts investment.....

Actually, the garage is almost empty, since the Buick sits inside ;) . I've excised a lot from my life.....well, except the basement :D

Does the massive car brochure collection still rest down there? I got rid of the vast majority of mine.

How far you going with the Buick resto? Cosmetics too, or will it be a Tim special, with the patina intact? :)

Yeah, it's still packed away in the cubby spaces, I haven't touched it in years......

Nope, it's pretty much going to be left as-is, as much as possible. I had to redo the seats and interior, as what was left of it looked and smelled like an animal habitat :yuck:

'55 Buick, eh?

Had a 56 and I sure loved that Dynaflow transmission. It would do ~80mph in low range :)

Great to have a visit from one of the founding fathers :thmbsp:

Roger

I used to have a '56 Special 2 door. Loved it. Slow churny starter, but once running, it was ultra quiet. 322 c.i. if I remember right? No power steering. At 15 years old, and skinny as a rail, it was quite a chore. But I still rode around with the old Sonomatic pumping out the old tunes like I owned the road!

I restored the old Sonomatic over the winter, actually. Yep, it's got the 322 motor, and a few of the screwiest designs I've ever seen, among them:

1. TWO heater cores. One in the dash for defrost, and one UNDER THE DRIVERS SEAT, for the floor heat. Has it's own blower motor, you look up through the floor pan, and there it is. What a stupid design :nono:

2. Instead of an ATF cooler in the radiator, coolant flows BACK to the transmission to a mini-raidator built into the Dynaflow. It was changed to a conventional style in 1956.

3. To start the car, turn the key left to ON, then depress the gas pedal all the way to engage the starter contact switch, which is on the side of the carb. Mine didn't come with the switch, and I wouldn't have wanted it that way anyways. Maybe it was to confuse would-be thieves :D

4. Master cylinder mounted under the driver's feet. But that's common to all of these old tubs.....

I'm hanging over at Videokarma.org these days, as admin there. Life at the moment is just way too hectic to devote a lot of time to posting anywhere, with my wedding coming up on July 28.

Congrats on that. We will be looking forward to pics

When did they install deserts in your part of the country?

:scratch2:

Holy cow, what were they thinking? Is the cigarette lighter in the trunk too? :D

Nope, that's where the air conditioning components are housed, right in the trunk with a/c lines that are over 10 feet long, going from the compressor under the hood to the evaporator core in the trunk. It had a fan that blew the cold air out of the back window area, and an air inlet scoop near the right rear on the trunk.

Fortunately or not, mine is not so-equipped ;)

ooh, ooh... my parents had a 55 Buick Special convertible when I was growin' up! It was a great car. The vacuum tube AM radio could be turned on and listened to sans key, anytime. No need for an "ACCESSORY" position in the good old days. Engine-powered vacuum wipers, I remember.

Serious Dagmars, too.

Nice ride, for sure, & you even got the "boobies" bumper. :D Way back when I was in my early teens, I came across a hood ornament from an old Buick Electra, & thought it was the coolest thing ever. :D Too bad I've lost it long ago, or I'd donate it to ya. You probably wouldn't want to put it on your Buick, LOL, but it'd be cool for the garage. :smoke:

I thought this thread was about gold when I first opened it.

Damn, another blast from the past. Who finds this stuff? I was a member of Audio Utopia and came from there to here as well.

Back
Top Bottom