Heavily Tweaked Images

Sometimes you get funky cool results when you colorize, blur, enlarge, excessively filterize...

How creative can you get?

Cross_brightSM.jpg

Last edited:
I almost started a thread asking about this... or at least altering pictures..

I've never messed with a picture I've taken. I know I'm not a professional or anything, and a lot of times it's only by luck I get a good picture, but I don't even crop my pictures to get them centered or anything... To me, doing everything through the view finder is the only way a picture should be edited..

But then I see pictures like these that have effects added, and I like them and they are cool, and it makes me want to play with some too, but I still feel like you're really not showing what was captured..

I share your philosophy, Simi. Composition and editing is done before the shutter release. When I was shooing chromes, I NEVER altered a scene or disturbed wildlife for a "better shot"- still don't... it's my driving philosophy and will continue into my digital era.

But playing around is fun too! And I had never done this prior... until this thread.

Yours, in morph,
Tyler

These are nice sentiments of a bygone era. I preached them religiously myself even though it was a total lie. We overexposed film to get a bit more contrast and color. Underexposed slide film a tad for the same reason. It was a necessary lie due to film cost, lab costs, time switching bodies, lenses and film out. Film processing was tweaked to compensate for the color characteristics of the film used. Dodging, burning, full frame negative carriers vs custom vs stock, time of exposure... Filters, filters, filters everywhere.

If I shoot a shot for black and white now I still have to change it into black and white. We can afford to make mistakes now. Take risks and adjust on the fly. Or purposely take shots to be tweaked in post. We no longer are hampered by having the right speed roll of film in the right body with the right lens. The old rules, old ways, old mindset no longer need to be embraced to survive the world of photography.

Now it may never be your cup of tea but that does not invalidate what can be done today. I am not suggesting we can just release the shutter like a machine gun for no reason. Just saying we have an entirely new set of tools at our disposal. Believe me, this is a complete 180 degree turn from the way I shot and breathed photography until 6 or so years ago.

What was captured? The image in the camera or the image framed on a wall?

:scratch2:

QUOTE]

Amen.... Even Ansel was a Master of the darkroom. How many times have you taken a photo and when viewed the colors, contrast or whatever are not what they were when you released the shutter. I read an interview of Adams done by Editor Mike Stensvold and Adams was delighted that the then new scanning process could get more from his negatives than he could in his darkroom. He even left some negatives to a university for that purpose. I think he envisioned the future and knew it would change the path of photography.

Last edited:
Ummmm. I believe that the intent was to show images, not get caught-up in philosophy. And yes, I recognize that I contributed. I, for one, would like to see images, not words.

And to that end...
IMG_1892-2.jpg

Yours, in silence,
Tyler

Ummmm. I believe that the intent was to show images, not get caught-up in philosophy. And yes, I recognize that I contributed. I, for one, would like to see images, not words.

And to that end...
IMG_1892-2.jpg

Yours, in silence,
Tyler

See, isn't it fun? That's what photography should be. :yes:

Last edited:
Stiegletz once told Steichen photography was 99% pontification and 10% BS. True story. I saw it on the web.

"It's out of focus..." - Steichen

"It's supposed to be. It's the Fuzzy Period!" - Stieglitz on the Fuzzy Period.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom